Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar

How many of you shoot does?

I should shoot them, but seldom do, 3 in the last 40 years seldom. My son's normally keep me enough deer meat, but haven't this year. So I plan on shooting a few. As of today 1 down and about 4 more days I can bow hunt before season is out.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

I usually shoot 3 or 4...haven't in the last few years because of my shoulder..shot 3 last year and only one this year that winded me and would not shut up....looking at 7 antlerless right now on this last evening of buck season in Tennessee...there's 5 days of does only starting tomorrow I believe...and a month of bucks only on public land in Bama...
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

3. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    In Alabama and Georgia where I hunt you can shoot antlerless deer as much as any person would want to. During bow season I will definitely knock one down. If I’m running low on meat come January I’ll shoot another one. Down here our doe to buck ratio is often 5:1 so I want to get as many does off the property as possible but we always end up shooting 1 each then waiting for the rack!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

4. Member
    I shoot them in December, our season ends January 1. Around here bucks are hard to kill in December, they pretty much go nocturnal. I had 23 does in 1 screen shot from my camera last month.

I always try to shoot at least one doe for every buck I kill at our property. I’ll try to get one early during bow season just to get it out of the way, and then another in late season. Late pre rut and mid rut I’m only shooting bucks.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

No interest. 2 in the past 20 years. If it doesn't excite me, I don't want to shoot it.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

7. Member
    Absolutely. Didn't shoot any this season since I killed two bucks but last year I took three.

8. Member
    Shot 2 on 1-1-19... where I hunt in KS antlerless season is one day only.

9. Member
    I am at my farm in Nebraska was we speak thru tomorrow for January antlerless rifle season. So much fun My buddy shot a WT this morning, I shot a muley doe.
    I have always said a doe deer is wayyyyy harder to kill then a buck. Especially if she has fawns with her. They are always aware of their surroundings
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

10. Member
    I would if I felt our property is overpopulated. Don't feel that way yet so I just enjoy watching them for now :)

11. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Babe Winkleworm View Post
    I am at my farm in Nebraska was we speak thru tomorrow for January antlerless rifle season. So much fun My buddy shot a WT this morning, I shot a muley doe.
    I have always said a doe deer is wayyyyy harder to kill then a buck. Especially if she has fawns with her. They are always aware of their surroundings
    It took me 5 sits to kill a doe. I had several bucks I could have killed with my bow during those sits, it was almost like they suddenly knew they were being hunted.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

12. Member
    I definitely will shoot does. This year it just hasn't worked out though. I shot 2 small bucks thinking I was shooting does. And before anyone blasts me for it, I'm a meat hunter and our lease allows us to shoot anything that is legal. And, in LA, we are allowed 3 does, 2 bucks, and 1 deer of our choice. So I killed the 2 young bucks and an 8 pt. But another point, where my stand is at I haven't fed the deer this year so when they come out on my narrow shooting lanes, they are not standing around and looking at me so I can tell what they are. And even though I haven't seen but 1 deer this year that I am positive was a doe...we have too many deer on our lease. Very few bucks seen this year with racks. 3/4 of our members have passed up most everything they have seen waiting on the big one while most bucks seen have been spikes. I have tried and tried to get them to shoot more does but they won't.

13. Member
    I do. Over populated here.

14. Banned
    Have to kill 28 more, TPWD issued us 118 tags for does and 55 buck tags and have 11 more of them to get killed.

15. Member
    On your bucks, do you shoot any bucks or do they have to be mature? We take culls at every opportunity. No brow tines, mature spikes, odd points, 5, 7, 9’s. Our biologist requires stand counts from the lease hunters to monitor the deer population during the season and night time pre-season spotlight counts before issuing recommendations.

OF course I do. Why wouldn't I? Even though I do have a buck on a wall, eating what I kill is really where I get the most satisfaction from hunting. From my experience, I would much rather eat a doe. Especially a younger one. Given your location, unless you are hunting the LBL which I hear has been down, I'd probably take a couple a year assuming I had the freezer space.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Quote Originally Posted by Kenner18 View Post
    On your bucks, do you shoot any bucks or do they have to be mature? We take culls at every opportunity. No brow tines, mature spikes, odd points, 5, 7, 9’s. Our biologist requires stand counts from the lease hunters to monitor the deer population during the season and night time pre-season spotlight counts before issuing recommendations.

I am not bagging on you at all but this kind of approach would completely suck all the fun out of hunting for me. Its why I've never wanted to be in a big club. I do like to do some planning and research but I mostly just want to sit in a tree and enjoy the hunt.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

I shoot 3-4 a year. On my property usually just 2. If we don't get beef from my father in law I shoot least 5.

I'm trying to fill my doe tags in Kentucky. Problem I am having is that all the does on my farm have become one giant herd. It's been almost impossible to pattern them.

20. Member
    Our farm had great ratio until last year noticed a lot more does. And this year even more. I have taken 3 does so far with my bow. With another buck or doe tag left. I will wait to see if a good buck shows up til last weekend then I will try my 4th doe. These does are hard to hunt this time of year. But has past the time since the duck hunting is awful.
    RANGER BOATS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast