Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I understand what you guys are saying about the WP. My SHO pees a light stream, my WP gauge does like most on here. Up & down, then sometimes nothing. Everyone, including Yamaha says as long as its peeing don't worry about it. That's easy for them to say. I don't have $20 grand laying around collecting dust. My initial question is this.....How or when do you know if your motor is starting to blow if all this no WP, peeing, no alarms is normal. If this is the case then I guess you just run the hell out of it till it blows, then repower with something else. I wish it was that easy for me. I for one cannot look back all the time at 70+ mph to see if this thing is peeing. Maybe Yamaha designed it this way so you just buy a new motor every few years or maybe to buy the WP module for $100+. I don't know but have gotten very gun shy & frustrated with all this. Now on the up side, I really like the motor. Runs strong, smooth, & quiet. Best hole shot I've ever had on a 21' Triton. I wanted to see what McQuaig had done to see if it improved the WP reading. OK nuff said, just wish there was a viable solution to all this.

2. Member
    +1

+1

I was concerned when I jumped over to the SHO from a 2-stroke, and the way it was explained to me directly from Yamaha is the SHO's have a thermostatically / electronically controlled water pump, where Merc 2-Strokes have a manual system. That's why a Merc at idle or wide open is always "peeing" so strong.

Now if at times your getting no water pressure readings you may want to look further into that. Per Yamaha, change the impeller every 100 hours regardless if it's working well. If you've buried your skeg in the mud or sand, the SHO's have low water pick up, I would recommend changing it sooner; cheap insurance. Also check to make sure your water pressure tube running to your gauge isn't clogged or pinched as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BULLYFISH View Post
    It’s your thermostat opening and closing

Thanks Hooked. I know what you're saying. My water pump was changed couple of months ago so I would think it "should" be OK. According to Yamaha if the water pressure is going up & down then the stats "should" be working, if it's peeing it "should" be OK. WP gauge is new, line from gauge to motor is new. This was done couple of weeks ago because I thought it was going bad. This is the point I have been trying to make. I can't see changing the water pump, thermostats, gauge, pee tube, etc, etc every time one of these does this. So my point is nobody really know if the motor is going south till it blows, since none of these positively indicate something is wrong. Read pickenscj post on his 2010 SHO 225. Took his in for service & they found a bad piston. He doesn't say he was having trouble or anything, just took it in for service. I ran Merc for 30 years. My last motor was a 2008 250 ProXS so I know how mercurys do. And I understand that was 2 stroke vs. a 4 stroke. and they are a lot different. I just wish there was some indication something needed attention to other than guessing. Evidently there isn't, so just have to hope for the best.
    Last edited by tracer1; 01-20-2019 at 01:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by McQuaig View Post
    PM sent

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12