190SC Champion 1990

After tracing down wires to find a wire was disconnected from main switch for fuel gauge. (Freaking birds nest btw) I thought that was my fuel gauge problem. Fixed that and got power to the gauge. Still not reading so pulled sending unit hooked wires back and moved my float up and gauge read fine. Reinstalled sending unit gauge wont read??? so what the hell i was thinking.. anyways after all was said and done the float is not floating for the sending unit!!! Never seen that before in all my years of automotive shade tree work. Im assuming the previous owner was troubleshooting and just left connector loose from switch i guess i dont know.

Anyways is there a recommended sending unit for our champions? Or will just any universal sending unit be fine?

2. Member
    The Floats in the old Rochester Quadrajet carburetors were bad about sinking after time also. Just a FYI.

3. Member
    Since your sender is working just not floating if you have access to an ohm meter you can check resistance empty and full and should be able to tell which sender you need. Usually on a boat sender its the 32-240 ohm sender.
    1990 Champion 184
    Yamaha proV150
    Garmin Electronics

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar

5. Member
    I done a little reading on it. seems to be a more common with the shellacked corks than i thought. I have just never ran across it i guess. My plan is pull it out of the tank and let the cork dry and put a fuel tank sealer on it. I dont know what brand yet, seems to be several out there. They also make a plastic float but i dont know how it will fasten to the arm. ill let you know how it turns out.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Thanks for the link. If my fix doesnt work ill need it. They have a dealer about 25 mins from my work.

7. Member
    My wife has a Ford Model A parts business and they sell floats made of cork or nitrile for the fuel senders. They have a hole in the center and are 1.25" long and 1" in diameter. Cylindrical in shape. Don't know if this is similar but they are available.
    1990 Champion 184
    Yamaha proV150
    Garmin Electronics