Thread: Trolling Motors

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I mainly see Minn kota's now. Lot fewer MGs
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

2. Member
    those old 24 v silver trolls had a small prop that turn a lot of rpm when you hit it on high shad would jump 30 yards away.

3. Member
    My fist trolling motor was a silvertroll by Shakespeare circa 1968 with a lorance green box powered by two lantern batteries.

4. Member
    And the motor angled down about 5 degrees so you could run it right on top of the water without blowing out. You could fish water about a foot shallower than you can now.

5. Member
    I had a PIC tm, Great Motor! I could run skinny water where others couldn't. I now have an ultrex. Not near as quite as the OMC.
    2019 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    225 Mercury 4 Stroke ProXS (# 2B591262)
    MinnKota Ultrex trolling motor
    Lowrance HDS Carbons

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fx20 2011 View Post
    I might show my age my first trolling motor was made by Mercury. It was all heavy metal with a stainless steel shaft. It could take a beating.
    The Mercury Thruster was a good trolling motor, but it's downfall was the use of a planetary gear system that would eventually lead to noise.
    For those talking about the OMC motor, it was an exceptionally good and quiet motor in it day. However, OMC when bankrupt but stop producing trolling motors a couple of years before that and contracted with MinnKota (Johnson outdoors -- no ties to Johnson outboards) to produce their trolling motors. When they went bankrupt, they left Johnson Outdoors holding a large debt. The physical of the original OMC is not "heavy" enough to endure todays thrust/voltage requirements so "that" trolling motor couldn't be built today.
    I've been hearing for a couple of years about Garmin and Lowrance getting into the trolling motor business. BassPro tried one that was made in China as has WaterSnake. They're cloning some of Motorguides components and putting with their own to make a trolling motor. I also receive brochures from other companies trying to get into the trolling motor field, but the competition between Motorguide and MinnKota is hard to break into. MinnKota, with the Ultrx, has made a substantial increase in market share, also due to Motorguide's discontinuing the Tour series in favor of the "X" series.
    FWIW
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    The Mercury Thruster was a good trolling motor, but it's downfall was the use of a planetary gear system that would eventually lead to noise.
    For those talking about the OMC motor, it was an exceptionally good and quiet motor in it day. However, OMC when bankrupt but stop producing trolling motors a couple of years before that and contracted with MinnKota (Johnson outdoors -- no ties to Johnson outboards) to produce their trolling motors. When they went bankrupt, they left Johnson Outdoors holding a large debt. The physical of the original OMC is not "heavy" enough to endure todays thrust/voltage requirements so "that" trolling motor couldn't be built today.
    I've been hearing for a couple of years about Garmin and Lowrance getting into the trolling motor business. BassPro tried one that was made in China as has WaterSnake. They're cloning some of Motorguides components and putting with their own to make a trolling motor. I also receive brochures from other companies trying to get into the trolling motor field, but the competition between Motorguide and MinnKota is hard to break into. MinnKota, with the Ultrx, has made a substantial increase in market share, also due to Motorguide's discontinuing the Tour series in favor of the "X" series.
    FWIW
    John

Question John. How many more minn Kotas you sell over motorguide?? Like 4 to 1?? In regards to bass fisherman I should say.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catch5 View Post
    Question John. How many more minn Kotas you sell over motorguide?? Like 4 to 1?? In regards to bass fisherman I should say.
    If you're comparing footcontrolled type trolling motors, (even though it's electric steer, I'm still counting the Ultrex as foot controlled) it's more like 1 out of 10 are Motorguide, since the X5/X3 series was introduced. Prior to that, it was probably almost half and half. If you're talking about the electric steer like the Terrova and Xi5, it's probably 4 to 1.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    If you're comparing footcontrolled type trolling motors, (even though it's electric steer, I'm still counting the Ultrex as foot controlled) it's more like 1 out of 10 are Motorguide, since the X5/X3 series was introduced. Prior to that, it was probably almost half and half. If you're talking about the electric steer like the Terrova and Xi5, it's probably 4 to 1.
    Wow. Yeah I’m calling the ultrex a foot controlled. The electric steers another ball of wax. 1 out 10 to motorguide. I knew it would be lopsided but dang. Thanks for the info.

I used to use hand guide TMs on all my boats. My favorite brand was an Eagle for years. Excellent TM in all respects.
    I’ll rebuild my Tour 82 when it’s time simply for the metal pedal design. I just haven’t found a composite pedal I cared for.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

11. Member
    Shakespeare 28lb thrust if I remember was my first, its been over 30 years though, I think it was green and black, I was younger then but still remember saying "ah, no more rowing"
    2007 Z21 / 250 VMAX HPDI

12. Member
    I believe there is only one trolling motor manufacturer. It is called MinnKota.

13. Member
    My first trolling motor was a Shakespeare 23, also had an old MK that was about the same power, then a MG Brute brand new that was about 34 lbs of thrust. They sure have gone through a lot of changes in the last 40 years. Now using a Fortrex and waiting for the next improvement over the Ultrex.
    Nelson

14. Banned
    the old OMC's with the slightly angled shaft near bottom were a VERY sought after TM in it's day!

15. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I went on Amazon and eBay and there are many other brands out there that I’ve never heard of. Not sure I could put something other that MK or MG on my boat but they’re out there. I’m sure they’re either rebadged or just shipped in from other countries. Guess Icast in July will be fun!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12