Buying a 2nd prop for a PII

Happy New Year BassCat family. I want/need a 2nd backup prop for my 2018 PII. It has a 2-stroke 200 Pro XS on the back. I currently have a 3 blade 25p Fury prop and have a great holeshot and a top end 69-72mph depending on load and conditions . Just wondering if I should buy another 25p Fury or if there are other props that work as well or better on my set-up that I should consider. My buddy works at a local Triton dealer and he said he will let me test props 1 at a time until I find one it like. I don't want to test props all day since the closed lake is 25 minutes away from the dealer. He suggested a 25p or 26p Tempest Plus, but he runs and sells Triton's. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Brad Krone

BassCatBrad, time for a name change :)

Congrats on the PII.

If you are happy with the performance no need to mess around. If you just want a spare prop, buy something used. It's not like we trash props every day.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

I tried a lot of different props on my 2010 PII. I had a speed prop and a handling prop. The speed prop was a 26P Fury3 and my handling prop initially was a 26P Bravo but I switched to a 25P Fury4 when it was introduced. The handling prop allowed me to stay on plane at slower speeds and navigate windy channels. It got on plane faster too. For you, I would try either a 25/26P Bravo (you need lots of venting) or a 24P Fury 4

I tried a 25 an 26P Tempest too. Both were good but at top speeds, it wanted to lope and had pretty high steering torque.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

4. Member
    25 Tempest performs about the same as a 24 Fury 3 on my P2. Just a bit different feel and handling. Both are very good on my boat, but I am not chasing speed or a performance freak. Top end very similar to what you are experiencing, both with crazy holeshot. If the 25 Fury 3 performs well for you, and you want to try something different, I would start with the 26 Tempest and see if you can spin it
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

5. Member
    Thanks for the advice/info. I can't figure out how to change my BBC name...lol.. I agree BassCatBrad is needed.
    Brad Krone

6. Member
    A 26 tempest runs best on my 15 P2. After I got it worked if I run it with just myself in cool weather I'm on the rev limiter.
    2000 Triton Tr21
    2002 Mercury 250 Pro XB

7. Member
    I have a 24 Fury 4 during hot summer months and a 25 Fury 3 for normal use.
    The Fury 4 is fast out the hole, fast acceleration, will hold the bow up at slow speed. I have ran 69.4 Mph with it. I have had issues with it slipping and dropping the bow at upper speeds.
    Will more than likely get it worked by Ronnie G.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

8. Member
    My 2011 PII with a 200 Pro XS really liked a 26 Fury4 when I had it out last. Holeshot, speed, and lift were all better than the Croxton 25p Razor3 that it had on it when I bought it. Granted I was running by myself with a quarter tank, but still had full tackle load, 12' talon, and 80 ultrex on the front. It ran up to just shy of 72 and I ran out of lake. I believe it would run 73-75 if I had more room to tweak as I'm not the best driver by anymeans. I bought a 25P Fury4 shortly after for the summertime fishing with 2 people.

9. Member
    Hey Brad, I've tried a 26p Fury 3 on the PII I had in place of the original 25p Fury 3...but we didn't gain anything on top end....just reduced the max rpm by approx. 200rpm. I never had a prop worked till I got my Eyra, and if you want anything done....get Ronnie G to handle it for you. Great work ! Call him, you might get some great advice & suggestions.
    2020 BassCat Eyra w/Merc v8 Pro XS (2b685615)
    2008 Triton TR196 w/Merc200 (1B505505)
    2024 Havoc Alum Duck boat w/ Mod Mercury 3-cyl 2-stroke
    0T899507 w/1B728726 powerhead (sleeved/ported/welded chambers, mod carbs/tuner &light flywheel)
    Previously owned:
    2018 Eyra w/Merc250 (2b525704)
    2015 PII w/Merc200 (2b115304)
    Brooks tunnel w/Merc 200 carb & CLE l/u motor (A913415)

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FastCat04 View Post
    Hey Brad, I've tried a 26p Fury 3 on the PII I had in place of the original 25p Fury 3...but we didn't gain anything on top end....just reduced the max rpm by approx. 200rpm. I never had a prop worked till I got my Eyra, and if you want anything done....get Ronnie G to handle it for you. Great work ! Call him, you might get some great advice & suggestions.
    Thanks for that info. I will be calling him soon
    Brad Krone

Hey Brad,

My 2010 PII came with a 26p Fury 3 that was a little dinged up and I was only able to get to 5500 RPM/65 MPH with it. I just got a 25P Fury 3 and while I didn't push it in my first trip out, it was obvious it was a much better prop for my rig. I could feel the mid range power that just wasn't there with the 26p and I hit 65 mph without even pushing it! I put the small hole PVS plugs in it, but might try no plugs too...

I did also get a brand new 24p Fury 4 that I will be trying later this month as well. I've heard the hole shot, mid range and handling will be better with the Fury 4 without sacrificing much top end...we'll see. I fish some higher elevation lakes as well as the California Delta with it's narrow, winding sloughs and huge wakes from cruiser yachts so that is where I'm hoping the Fury 4 shines.

I think having both a 3 blade and 4 blade will be the best of both worlds and I should be able to use either one if needed.

Good luck with your search!
    Rob Ridge
    www.folsombassteam.com
    2018 Nitro Z19 Pro, 200 Mercury Pro XS

12. Member
    You might want to think about the spare being something all together different. When I bought by boat (07 P2/200 Opti) it came with a 26 Fury and ran like a scalded dog, I have had it to 73 and the guy I got it from told me he had it to 76. I got a great deal on a 25" Hi5 and bought it as a spare. Now it's the prop I run 90% of the time. Your holeshot is instant. I also have a Bob's JP and between the two I can get up in almost no water.

I still can get 65-66mph. In colder weather/water though I will hit the limiter.

13. Member
    For a fun spare, you might try a 21p or 22p 3-blade prop. They are a really good choice for pulling skiers or tow-toys. You can get up on plane in a heartbeat, and it is easy to keep the boat on plane at 20mph or so which is a good ski speed. Keeps the motor up in its power band better and a skier won't keep pulling it off of plane (or close to it) when swinging wide. Not a good WOT prop of course, but it will get you home if your primary is damaged. If you don't do any watersports stuff, I'd just go with another Fury. On my 08 classic I get best performance with a 26p 3-blade fury.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

If you want a prop that carries a heavy load, even in the summer, then I would consider the Mercury Racing Bravo 1 XS (It has 8 vent holes for the 2 stroke). Merc recommends going up 2" in pitch if you're running a Fury 3. The Bravo I will give a better hole shot, better handling in rough water, and better grip when making turns. You will probably need to raise the engine a half inch when using it, for optimum performance.
    BassCat '17 Sabre DC FTD Advantage Elite
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80

15. Member
    Thanks for all the replies. I love the 25p Fury in the cooler winter months here in Florida. I might just try something different for the summer. Our heat and humidity hurts outboard performance. I will also be calling Ronnie Gilbert to work his magic on my 25p Fury once I get a second prop.
    Brad Krone

16. Member
    Yea man, I’d end up getting a new prop ( same one ) and send your old one to Ronnie or Mark ( which ever you want ) and have either of them work their magic and then you can compare the 2 new vs tuned. Let us know what happens after your rework
    *2018 Ranger Z521L* {Icon Edition} 3mm flat clear bra
    *Evinrude 250 H.O. {Mercury Fury 3 25p prop}
    *Megabass*

17. Member
    Hey Brad, just a bit of info to store away. The Fury 3 props actually have more pitch than advertised. So when you do your slip calculations you'll get some incredibly low slip/high efficiency #'s until you use the correct 'actual pitch'. A 26"p Fury 3 is actually 26.7". And a 25"p Fury 3 is actually 25.6". Now, that being said...I've heard that the Fury 3's are actually formed in odd" increments and just tweaked to get the even" pitches. I don't know for fact if this is true...you can ask Ronnie Gilbert for the details....but my point is that you can get different results by adding pitch to a 25p prop than you can by removing pitch from a 26p prop. So....if you're buying one....call Ronnie first and yall decide which is better for him to start working/tuning from. Just my .02
    2020 BassCat Eyra w/Merc v8 Pro XS (2b685615)
    2008 Triton TR196 w/Merc200 (1B505505)
    2024 Havoc Alum Duck boat w/ Mod Mercury 3-cyl 2-stroke
    0T899507 w/1B728726 powerhead (sleeved/ported/welded chambers, mod carbs/tuner &light flywheel)
    Previously owned:
    2018 Eyra w/Merc250 (2b525704)
    2015 PII w/Merc200 (2b115304)
    Brooks tunnel w/Merc 200 carb & CLE l/u motor (A913415)

18. Member
    GREAT info. Thanks FastCat
    Brad Krone

19. Member
    Actually ANY prop with any significant cup on the trailing edge has more pitch than indicated on the hub. Best rule of thumb is to add 1" to the advertised pitch value. Mercury even suggests this on their prop slip calculator page.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200