Question Performance of the new Pantera Classic with a 150HP ProXS 2 Stroke

Hello,

Does anyone have or been in the new classic with a 150? I am considering one and was hoping to get some first hand performance reviews: holeshot, handling, ride and speed?

I have read where basscat mentions it will run in the low 60’s, just didn’t know if this was accurate and if it was a slug coming out of the hole.

I appreciate and help in advance.

Thank You

Brian

They make really nice starter rigs and they do run from mid 50’s to lower 60’s.

The MLF Boats BCB provides were overloaded with hydraulic plates, dual poles, larger graphs and extra batteries, for the camera needs and data equipment. Those boats ran about 56 to 58 with everything they needed. With the extra person (3) and camera gear they ran either side of mid 50’s.

Theres no doubt a 200 will run much better, though if what you need is not speed and power to Fish, then the 150 is fine. In recent years since Bassmaster changed from a 150 maximum, in the 1996 to 1997 time frame. Everyone in those 20 years since has slowly developed opinion on 150’s not being enough for a 200 rated rig. Today it seems max the ponies is the opinion.

It all depends on your need and the situation. If you don’t run hard and keep your rig, then just go 150 or a smaller engine. The masses opinion is not paying for your boat.

There is no no doubt that the 150 won’t have the lower end of the 200, though it may be monetarily worth considering also. If the deal is that much better, then we would include that in our decision.

The same could be said for ATV’s and then they wouldn’t need to make a 250, 350, 400, 500, 550, 650, 800 plus... everyone would just buy the biggest and get the 4x4 model. Though in that market people let their needs determine what they are willing to pay. Also, if the ATV is for their 13 year old children, they just like at 16 they won’t get a Corvette. The same should ring true for Boats, let your families needs and pocket book make the decision.

On the other side:
    This same bigger, better mentality exists for towing trucks and most get a 4x4 for towing and removing the boat at the ramp. They then choose the largest cab they can to get the bed that fits what they haul. Few buy the 2 wheel drive, though almost no one is forced to use the 4x4 at the ramp. Most of is south of I-40 could go 2x4 and never loose much road time to bad weather.

Let your needs make the choice.

3. BBC SPONSOR
    I would think the 150 option would be fine, it will hurt resale down the road but if you are happy then that is all that matters. The price difference in the two makes it definitely more affordable for most. I see nothing wrong with the 150 option. Men are full of ego, its our nature LOL
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    175 maybe? also new mercs are 6 cyl 200hp and 8 cyl 200 hp so many options
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

When you start squeezing between the 150 and 200, the 175 becomes cozy inefficient unless it’s the max horsepower. We only suggest that is short Garage situations wher the Sabre FTD is all you can slide in.

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    They make really nice starter rigs and they do run from mid 50’s to lower 60’s.

The MLF Boats BCB provides were overloaded with hydraulic plates, dual poles, larger graphs and extra batteries, for the camera needs and data equipment. Those boats ran about 56 to 58 with everything they needed. With the extra person (3) and camera gear they ran either side of mid 50’s.

Theres no doubt a 200 will run much better, though if what you need is not speed and power to Fish, then the 150 is fine. In recent years since Bassmaster changed from a 150 maximum, in the 1996 to 1997 time frame. Everyone in those 20 years since has slowly developed opinion on 150’s not being enough for a 200 rated rig. Today it seems max the ponies is the opinion.

It all depends on your need and the situation. If you don’t run hard and keep your rig, then just go 150 or a smaller engine. The masses opinion is not paying for your boat.

There is no no doubt that the 150 won’t have the lower end of the 200, though it may be monetarily worth considering also. If the deal is that much better, then we would include that in our decision.

The same could be said for ATV’s and then they wouldn’t need to make a 250, 350, 400, 500, 550, 650, 800 plus... everyone would just buy the biggest and get the 4x4 model. Though in that market people let their needs determine what they are willing to pay. Also, if the ATV is for their 13 year old children, they just like at 16 they won’t get a Corvette. The same should ring true for Boats, let your families needs and pocket book make the decision.

On the other side:
    This same bigger, better mentality exists for towing trucks and most get a 4x4 for towing and removing the boat at the ramp. They then choose the largest cab they can to get the bed that fits what they haul. Few buy the 2 wheel drive, though almost no one is forced to use the 4x4 at the ramp. Most of is south of I-40 could go 2x4 and never loose much road time to bad weather.

Let your needs make the choice.

you HP analogy is spot one.....but I’m not giving up my 4 Wheel drive.... however my truck actually gets dirty in the mud and sand..

I’d have no issues with a 150 on a Pantera if budget was a concern and max speed not important.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

7. Member
    I had a 95 p2 with 150 yamaha pro v. Would run 63 gps. Not insights on the newer panteras

8. Banned
    Dad had a '94 Classic with Suzuki Bass 150, didn't have the power poles like today's rigs though it had 36V trolling motor and hauled our family of 4 around safely and would still run 65 according to the speedo which I'm sure was a little generous as it did 69 solo. The 2.7L V6 was a torque monster and had 2.08 gearing, so holeshot was great. The new classic is heavier than the original and if you want power poles, you might consider the G2 which has more torque in the 150hp category (~230ftlbs vs ~180) Granted the 2-stroke is heavier than 4-stroke in this case as well as it costs more, so you might consider the 3.4L 175hp Mercury 4-stroke as a bridge being it'll match the torque of the 150 G2 and have more topend. The 200hp 4.6L V8 Mercury 4-stroke makes ~300ftlbs which is an even bigger jump. So I wouldn't just look at it as 150, 175, or 200hp, but 180, 230 and 300 ftlbs as that's a bigger difference and the torque will be appreciated on those hot summer days when the boat is loaded down.

9. Member
    I appreciate all of the insight and comments!
    although I would rather have a 200, the 150 is more affordable for me.

What's $3500 more when you are spending $40,000+ on a boat. Think long term. You don't want to be saying I should have gotten the 200.

I did a lot of research on this boat and yes it will be OK with the 150 like BCB said, but, you really want the 200 on this boat.

When I pull the trigger I'll definitely have the new Mercury 200HP V8 on mine.

11. Member
    3500 more dollars will be up to 80.00 dollars more a month with tax.
    Not everyone has that luxury. Sometimes 80.00 a month will make or break a deal.

I was standing on my pier when a fellow in a new Classic with a Merc 150 came trolling by. He had 3 teenage boys fishing with him.
    I asked him how he liked it and how it performed with the 150. He said he loved the boat and performance was good, even loaded with the boys.

A friend of mine has a Nitro Z18 with a 150. Its a few inches shorter than the Classic. It performs great with both of us in it, 57 mph.
    The Classic should do as well if not better even though its a larger boat.
    If you cant make the payments on the Classic with a 200, don't pass up a deal for one with a 150. Especially if your going to keep it for a long period of time.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

There are a couple (4) of the Pantera Classic models at a few dealerships which came from MLF. If this is one of those it could be a considerable price difference in a new 200 rig.

13. Member
    What dealerships would have these available?

We don’t have that list handy and we believe most of the 4 were pre-sold. (2018-2019)

The equipment might push them up also as those are loaded.