F-250 Trailer Hook Up

The factory trailer hitch on my 2018 F-250 isn't quite like I had on my F-150 and are much 'thicker' which is causing me an issue trying to decide where / how to connect the small safety breakaway trailer cable.

How / where are you F-250 guys connecting yours. I didn't want to connect it to the S hook on the safety chain but the S hook on the breakaway cable isn't large enough to really attach directly to the truck. Just wondering what other F-250 owners are doing.

2. Member
    I just bought a new F150. I know you have a F250 but the S hook on my Ranger trailer fits just fine onto the hitch. If there is a difference in hitch size between your older F250 and new F250, I would definitely prefer that the S hook on the new set up hook to the hitch directly.

3. Member
    Hammerlock shackle or screw pin shackle, available in sizes, on-line, Farm Supply and building supply stores,etc. I have similar issues on my 3500HD. Got mine at autohauler supply. Google chain shackle.

Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

5. Member
    I just use a cheap carabiner.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-Car...-Strap/3167899

Throw the strap away.

6. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Do you really believe that caribiner could take the weight of your rig if your trailer came off the hitch for some reason?

I use the Reese chain link, screwed together rather tight so people won’t take them, and I have found it’s much easier to connect my chains and, just as important, each is rated over 2k pounds so I believe they will hold in the case the trailer somehow comes off the hitch ball.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

I pull with a 2011 F250 and just hook them to the receiver hitch itself. There are “wings” on either side with a belong slot that I attach them to. I don’t have safety chains. My trailer have the coiled cables and are under tension and wind come off.

Edit - The small s-hook for the breakaway fits in there too - I just turn it sideways and then straighten it out. put a coil in the breakaway cable and it stays up tight and won't get caught on anything. I'll get a pic posted for you tomorrow.

Last edited by TX721; 01-13-2019 at 08:47 PM.

2013 Phoenix 721 ProXP

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    Do you really believe that caribiner could take the weight of your rig if your trailer came off the hitch for some reason?

I use the Reese chain link, screwed together rather tight so people won’t take them, and I have found it’s much easier to connect my chains and, just as important, each is rated over 2k pounds so I believe they will hold in the case the trailer somehow comes off the hitch ball.
    The carabiner may be fine for the breakaway cable, which I believe the OP is referring to. Certainly wouldn't want to use on safety chains!

9. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave in Mpls View Post
    The carabiner may be fine for the breakaway cable, which I believe the OP is referring to. Certainly wouldn't want to use on safety chains!
    Ok, sorry, I misunderstood. I thought we were talking about the safety chains, although mine are coiled cables.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

10. Member
    I have a 2018 F250 and use this setup: 3/4" D ring shackles attached to the hitch cut outs, old trailer S hooks attached to a 1/2" chain link, 5/8" clevis chain hook connected to the link and then hook to the D shackles. Everything is rated above 10K lbs.

The extra length also allows my trailer S cables to reach since the newer F250 4x4's require a 6 inch drop hitch stock.

I use the same on my F250

Quote Originally Posted by adchunts View Post

12. Member
    Stainless steel carabiner.

13. Banned