Triton tr186 help

Ok,I know there is 100s of post on this particular boat and motor setup, 2003 tr186/ xr6, but I haven’t found one that really pin points me. My son fishes high school and pretty dang good,so I want to be able to do my best on the water. Between both of us, we putting 500lbs in the boat. Then ad livewell and fuel and tackle etc.. We went yesterday on Chickamauga,perfect day really. Water was calm with little to no wind. This was the first time ( recently bought this boat) I have had all gear in boat and was able to open it up. Ok so number 1) seems really slow getting out of hole. Just guessing, 5-6 seconds till plane. 2) wide open on first launch no water in livewell 5600 54mph fully trimmed. With water in livewell on way back 51mph 5500. The current setup is a 6in jackplate and a 23p quicksilver prop. I’m not positive if it is a stainless or not. It’s not shinny,more of a dull grey color. Is the 23p tempest like everyone else is running a good choice for me? Or should I go with a 4 blade for better outta the hole? Any help would be greatly appreciated. BTW, I’m going to try and messsure PTP today after church.

Get a 22P Bravo1 FS or XS and adjust venting to 3800 rpms on holeshot. Marks Razor4 XL is another great choice< But not sure if he offers them in a 22P. Marks info is in the bottom of my post.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

3. Member
    A 23 tempest or 24 trophy is what I ran on mine , thats a 60 mph boat.

Quote Originally Posted by gambler4 View Post
    A 23 tempest or 24 trophy is what I ran on mine , thats a 60 mph boat.
    Depends on the load.... His load is big and that is why I suggested what I did. Looking at his concerns and rpms, I would strongly suggest against your idea.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    Depends on the load.... His load is big and that is why I suggested what I did. Looking at his concerns and rpms, I would strongly suggest against your idea.

Thats why I asked because of that reason. I have a big load 90 percent of the time. I was thinking the 23 tempest may not be my best prop. For a light load and small guys that may be the best prop. I’m thinking differently . I’m going to check with the guys you mentioned. Thanks for the help.

6. Member
    it sounds like his existing prop is a dud , if he adds poles to the back he might need to drop pitch
    but everybody that has ran the 186 ,xr combo has had 500 lbs of people plus gear for 15+ years and the 23 tempest has been the prop
    good luck that is a killer boat that fishes much bigger than its size, I had a 04.
    Last edited by gambler4; 01-06-2019 at 02:15 PM.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gambler4 View Post
    it sounds like his existing prop is a dud , if he adds poles to the back he might need to drop pitch
    but everybody that has ran the 186 ,xr combo has had 500 lbs of people plus gear for 15+ years and the 23 tempest has been the prop
    good luck that is a killer boat that fishes much bigger than its size, I had a 04.

Its actually my boat. I’m thinking that prop is a dud. I don’t have the money to be buying more than 1 prop,just wanna make sure I get it right the first time..from other people’s experience

I fish from a TR186/150 and Z185 Ranger/150 a lot.... Both ran a 23 Tempest plus until they added poles and loads. The Tempest is a great prop until that happens. Then the Props I mentioned were the best fit for them both.

9. Member
    I got in touch marks propeller shop via email. He suggested the tempest 23p.

OK... The weakness will be the holeshot with a load.... It's definately a little faster on top end...

11. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooks77 View Post
    Its actually my boat. I’m thinking that prop is a dud. I don’t have the money to be buying more than 1 prop,just wanna make sure I get it right the first time..from other people’s experience
    This is why you should buy from Mark Croxten. You tell him your situation and he will suggest a prop. If it does not perform well he will work on the prop until it is right. Buying new from a company or business you get what you get. If it does not perform the way you need it too you have to take it to a prop guy and pay them to work on it. With Mark all your out is shipping if you have to send it back.