Ultra minnow spinnerbait mold

Hey guys got a ultra minnow spinnerbait mold , having issues getting it pour completely. I smoked the mold and got it really hot which seemed to help. Any tricks to this mold? Also any tricks to keeping the spinnerbait wire straight? It keeps wanting to rotate and also slid in the mold cavity.

2. Member
    Make sure that your mold is warmed up, don’t pour into a cold mold. I usually set my mold on top of my pot while its heating up.

Quote Originally Posted by FowlZurk View Post
    Make sure that your mold is warmed up, don’t pour into a cold mold. I usually set my mold on top of my pot while its heating up.
    Did you read his post?

Venting the mold with a larger slot where the hook comes out is a huge help. Have the pot on the highest setting. Heat the hooks under a halogen spotlight so you can barely hold them. Ladle pour if you can.

Put a small piece of black electrical tape across the wire slot to help hold the wire in place. I use red high temp rtv silicone
    Last edited by 21XDC; 01-05-2019 at 09:53 PM.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

4. Member
    Thanks mike I’ll try out the tape and heating the hooks

5. Member
    Any pictures of how you lay the tape in the wire slot?

Just a small piece across the slot. Nothing more.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

7. Member
    Thanks Mike!

Make sure the wire and hook connection is in the widest area of the mold.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    Did you read his post?

Venting the mold with a larger slot where the hook comes out is a huge help. Have the pot on the highest setting. Heat the hooks under a halogen spotlight so you can barely hold them. Ladle pour if you can.

Put a small piece of black electrical tape across the wire slot to help hold the wire in place. I use red high temp rtv silicone

10. Member
    There is actually a youtube addressing do it mold issues. All above are good ideas, plus a slight tilt to the mold when pouring. You're probably using a ladle so be careful.
    Cured my bad pours 99%

11. Member
    I use a propane torch to heat the hook shank area right before I close the mold and pour. I make a lot of the Ultra Minnow spinnerbaits each year and this works 99 % of the time for me. Also go to Advance Auto and get a small tube of the red high temp silicone like 21XDC uses. You can use a toothpick to apply it just where you need it in your mold and it will last a lot longer than tape.

Quote Originally Posted by TNbasskicker View Post
    I use a propane torch to heat the hook shank area right before I close the mold and pour. I make a lot of the Ultra Minnow spinnerbaits each year and this works 99 % of the time for me. Also go to Advance Auto and get a small tube of the red high temp silicone like 21XDC uses. You can use a toothpick to apply it just where you need it in your mold and it will last a lot longer than tape.
    Curious as to what the RTV does. Does it kinda grip the wire shaft so it doesn't move around?
    LET'S GO BLUES!!! WILL WE MAKE THE PLAYOFFS IN 2024?

13. Member
    Yes it keeps it from moving. I use it in my swimbait head mold also. I have the bullet head mold and drilled out the part where the bait holds to so that a wire screw lock would fit and then filled it with the red high temp silicone. The silicone keeps the spring from moving around and more importantly it keeps lead from filling it up.

Quote Originally Posted by TNbasskicker View Post
    Yes it keeps it from moving. I use it in my swimbait head mold also. I have the bullet head mold and drilled out the part where the bait holds to so that a wire screw lock would fit and then filled it with the red high temp silicone. The silicone keeps the spring from moving around and more importantly it keeps lead from filling it up.
    Thanks! So many good tips and tricks to be learned on here. ALL of you are
    LET'S GO BLUES!!! WILL WE MAKE THE PLAYOFFS IN 2024?