Thread: Prop to pad?

Prop to pad?

Last week, my prop to pad was 3 inches. Trying to maximize my RPMs (get them up to 5800) , owner of Falcon told my dealer to realy me to raise my engine up at least an inch. So I raised it an inch , now prop to pad is now 2 inches. I will test tomorrow morn..

Just wanted to know what other people are running their SHOs at, for prop to pad difference.. I was told that the SHOs like to run higher in the water column than other engines.. Just curious what other people are running at..

Thanks

Jason Davis, MSgt, USAF, Retired

IF YOUR NOT GETTING HUNG UP, YOUR NOT FISHING WHERE THE FISH ARE!!"

2019 Falcon 195
    2019 Yamaha SHO 200 w 23P Fury
    Helix 9 DI (Bow)
    Helix 9 SI with Mega (Console)
    MK Ultrex 80lb
    NMEA 2k

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tritonboy2001 View Post
    Last week, my prop to pad was 3 inches. Trying to maximize my RPMs (get them up to 5800) , owner of Falcon told my dealer to realy me to raise my engine up at least an inch. So I raised it an inch , now prop to pad is now 2 inches. I will test tomorrow morn..

Just wanted to know what other people are running their SHOs at, for prop to pad difference.. I was told that the SHOs like to run higher in the water column than other engines.. Just curious what other people are running at..

Thanks

Im running mine 3/4 inch below pad PSI at WOT 13psi 21SS Bullet everything stock.

Bring it on up to 1 3/4 and go from there

3. Member
    SHOs typically like to run higher, but prop to pad is more determined by prop it self. A Ranger for example runs a Merc which usually has a Fury 3 blade. 14in diameter prop, and the Ranger with a SHO runs a VMAX prop, 15 1/8in diamerter. Big factor right there. Its a process you just need to figure out. I've run 7 differnt styles/brands of props. Best performance on my hull there was a 4in varience.

4. Member
    SHOs typically like to run higher, but prop to pad is more determined by prop it self. A Ranger for example runs a Merc which usually has a Fury 3 blade. 14in diameter prop, and the Ranger with a SHO runs a VMAX prop, 15 1/8in diamerter. Big factor right there. Its a process you just need to figure out. I've run 7 differnt styles/brands of props. Best performance on my hull there was a 4in varience.

OK, I did a quick test run today Water temp 57-59.. I got her up to 70.6 and hit 5600 rpm, but mainly 5400-5500 rpms.. Water pressure still strong, 18-19psi. So I raised jack plate another 1/4 inch.. Will test next weekend.. hopefully this will get it done, cause currently it is 1 3/4 inch pad to prop difference, I just dont feel comfortable going any higher.

2019 Falcon 195
    Helix 9 DI (Bow)
    MK Ultrex 80lb
    NMEA 2k

6. Member
    That motor will run with 12psi summer time warm water on the guage. Personally that it is a bit low, and if you don't have a hydro plate I would find where that point is and drop 1/4" lower from there. I do believe that you need a 22 scorpion or 23T1 maybe 24T1 prop for that boat, as a 24p scorpion is a bit too much prop for that combo.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy T View Post
    That motor will run with 12psi summer time warm water on the guage. Personally that it is a bit low, and if you don't have a hydro plate I would find where that point is and drop 1/4" lower from there. I do believe that you need a 22 scorpion or 23T1 maybe 24T1 prop for that boat, as a 24p scorpion is a bit too much prop for that combo.
    Thanks Randy.. I plan to test this wknd at the 1 3/4 pad difference, see how it goes.. If no gain in RPM I may buy another prop..Well see how it goes..

2019 Falcon 195
    Helix 9 DI (Bow)
    MK Ultrex 80lb
    NMEA 2k

8. Member
    Randy: You seem to know a lot about props.. I know nothing! I'm looking for a prop that would replace my 22 T1 15 15 1/8 on my Yamaha 150 SHO,in case I wreck the one I have. IT came on my 18-6 skeeter. Didn't mean to but in on post......... but you seem to really know your stuff after reading this post!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RDOCK View Post
    Randy: You seem to know a lot about props.. I know nothing! I'm looking for a prop that would replace my 22 T1 15 15 1/8 on my Yamaha 150 SHO,in case I wreck the one I have. IT came on my 18-6 skeeter. Didn't mean to but in on post......... but you seem to really know your stuff after reading this post!
    22 pitch Tempest plus.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy T View Post
    22 pitch Tempest plus.
    This is why I don't understand props. Mine is 15 1/8 and the props I looked at said Mercury and 14 5/8 So is this O.k.. on a Yamaha. What about the hub kit?

11. Member
    I run two Mercury props on my Yamaha SHO 250 . Get the correct hub kit and they run fine on Yamaha . The tempest runs real nice on my rig and set up . . Hole shot with my tempest is Instint less than 4 seconds . Just plug all the vent holes with solid plugs . If you think it’s a little slow start opening one of them up at a time with a small hole plug and open that hole larger as you think you need more hole shot . Once the prop blows out loses grip you went to far close it back up some .

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skennedy View Post
    I run two Mercury props on my Yamaha SHO 250 . Get the correct hub kit and they run fine on Yamaha . The tempest runs real nice on my rig and set up . . Hole shot with my tempest is Instint less than 4 seconds . Just plug all the vent holes with solid plugs . If you think it’s a little slow start opening one of them up at a time with a small hole plug and open that hole larger as you think you need more hole shot . Once the prop blows out loses grip you went to far close it back up some .
    This is why I am afraid to buy a prop because I don't understand any of this and afraid of getting something that's not right.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RDOCK View Post
    This is why I don't understand props. Mine is 15 1/8 and the props I looked at said Mercury and 14 5/8 So is this O.k.. on a Yamaha. What about the hub kit?
    There is way more to proos than just diameter.

All, thanks for the inputs. Got it worked out. Falcon sent me a 23P Fury.. I put it on the 195 yesterday and WOW. At first I left the last height adjustment along, Jack plate was high as it could be, 1 inch difference from prop to pad Test ran her.. She shot out of the hole, reached 70mph quickly, touched 6100rpms and wanted to keep going, so I couldn't trim motor all way , so kept it at 6000 rpms, reached almost 73mph (Half tank of gas, full tackle, live wells full), and handled very well, could take turns at full throttle.

Brought her home, lowered jack plate almost 2 inches. Went back , still good hole shot, rpms right at 6000, 72mps , but handling around turns not as good.

So , finally raised her up alil, to know the prop to pad is 1 inch and 3/4 quarters. I expect it to maintain good hole shot, handling come back, with good rpms and speed.

Overall, the prop made a huge difference..... once you get it setup, the boat rides very nice and handles well. It seems to love the higher motor position better, I have been told the SHOs love to run higher, and the Fury seemed to love it as well.

Only 1 bad thing from yesterday. I am not sure if Falcon or my dealer installed the original prop on the boat, but when I removed the cotter pin , the main nut was loose, I was able to twist it off with my hand (not good). I replaced props, tightened down everything, and I will be talking to Falcon (owner who has been helping me set it up, prop issues) and my dealer to inform them of this.

Hope this helps anyone on their setup or answering questions

2019 Falcon 195
    Helix 9 DI (Bow)
    MK Ultrex 80lb
    NMEA 2k