NEED SOME INFO FT. MEYERS AREA

Hey guys, I am coming down end of the month to visit a friend that wants to do some fishing, he is not much of a fisherman so he doesn't have a lot of info. We want to do some in-shore, what do I need to bring? Any guides to recommend would be great as well, leaving here the 31st staying until the 6th. Thank you!

2. Member
    Closest you have to 7'6", 8-17#, Fast Action, Spinning.
    Buy some popping corks, bucket and live shrimp.
    Skip the charter, read up a bunch, rent a kayak, enjoy.

3. Member
    I don't have my guide service anymore but I refer all my former clients to John Conway. Awesome captain and I guarantee you will catch fish. Winter fishing here is not the time to mess around if you don't know where you are going or what you are targeting. Shore fishing is also not very good here. Give John a call, he'll set you straight.

http://www.conwaycharters.com/

What artificial baits, not much on live bait fishing even in salt water.

Quote Originally Posted by trifish View Post
    I don't have my guide service anymore but I refer all my former clients to John Conway. Awesome captain and I guarantee you will catch fish. Winter fishing here is not the time to mess around if you don't know where you are going or what you are targeting. Shore fishing is also not very good here. Give John a call, he'll set you straight.

http://www.conwaycharters.com/
    Thanks trifish will look him up.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    What artificial baits, not much on live bait fishing even in salt water.
    DOA shrimp on popping corks for sea trout.
    Buck tail jigs for in a natural color and white with either purple or red accents for alot of other feeshes like snook, permit, tarpon and possibly reds.
    Rapalas work also but you need them salt water hooks on'em.

Like others said you will need locations. Just finding a hole in the bushes on the side of the road aint gonna cut it. Thats where the live bait works.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

7. Member
    If you want inshore fishing i highly recommend you make the drive down to Goodland and fish the 10K islands.
    Alot of guys are coming down from fort myers since the red tide issues. Snook and redfish are catch and release only from i believe north fort myers to tampa.
    Joe Snook (Joe Cass) is a great guide and will get you on some fish.
    Jason

8. Member
    My thought is drive over the bridge to Estero Island ie Fort Meyers Beach go S to Lovers Key St park (buy live shrimp @ Bait and Wait). Rod set up like Tampa Jim suggested or lighter. You will park at Lover Key SP and there are bus shuttles to the beach. There is a kayak rental vendor there. There is another nearer the road but it's usually windy out where there is that open water. Paddle out to the mangroves (less than a 100 yards) trailing live shrimp I bet you'll get bit half way there. If not drift the shrimp in and around the mangroves. Tons of trout the reason for a little lighter set up occasional snook and others is the reason for a heavier set up. Afterward continue S to Bonita Beach and stop at Doc's on the beach for a killer grouper sandwich and a cold one. DOA's are killer - if you can find them I'd suggest the new Livetarget fleeing shrimp. I fish mostly flukes on the Zman trout jigs. Live shrimp the best but they are sometimes hard to keep. From shore around bridges too look especially for the small cut bridges. My go to is 7'6" ML w 8# braid on a 3000 series for casting distance when fishing bridges. Most shore guys are friendly watch the small detail of the guy with the hot hand and ask. Have not been back since this years tide. Fish on!

You should use Live bait from what I heard.