1997 Champion 191 Battery Setup

I recently bought a new to me Champion 191 and am going to upgrade to a new ultrex. I have a battery compartment on each side with a 12 1/2" wide hole.

Option 1: 36v
    Left Side- Two Duracell deep cycle group 27s
    Right Side- One Duracell deep cycle group 27, One Duracell AGM group 27 for Cranking/House

Option 2: 24v
    Left Side- Two Duracell deep cycle group 27s
    Right Side- One Duracell AGM group 31 for Cranking/House vertically

Ideally my best expectation is 3x group 27s and 1x group 31, but I think I would have to build some kinda mount in the center rear compartment behind the gas tank. Unless I am completely overlooking something.

Anyone here ran into this issue and have any insight on your setup? If not, which option would be the best? I fish off shore a lot and do a ton of graphing so a strong cranking battery is a must.

Also if there are any reccomendations other than the duracells at sams (I cant go into the blue top price range right now) Id be all ears.

Thanks,
    Wes

2. Member
    First off, what motor are you running on your '97? I have the same boat with an EFI Merc and the AGM batteries are a big NO NO.
    I did the 36v upgrade about 3 years ago, I will see if I can find pics of my mount that I built in the center rear compartment. This holds my 4 bank charger.
    Cranking battery and 1 Power Pole pump in the rear starboard compartment. 3 trolling batteries (group 27) in the rear port compartment. If I decide to get another Power Pole in the future I may move a battery over to the starboard side.

3. Member
    I would love to see that if you can find a picture. You were able to get 3 27's in one compartment? I guess I need to work on my tetris skills. Do you just have them on a single mat with a strap over them then?

It has a 1997 Johnson 200 Venom. I wasn't aware of that issue, ill have to do some research, thank you.

4. Member
    Each battery is in a tray and strapped down.