Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Are all travel trailers junk?

My family has been renting campers twice a year for the last few years. We enjoy and would like to go more so I have been thinking about buying one. All the research and reviews I have seen makes me wonder if I would be better off just to keep renting them. It seems like they are all poorly built and customer service after the sale is pretty much non existent. I just don’t want to spend that much on something just to have to deal with problems all the time. I originally wanted a new one but am wondering if I would be better off getting a slightly used one.

2. Member
    I don't know if I would say "junk" but they aren't built like a house. They are putting them together quickly and with mostly inexpensive products. I would imagine some brands are better than others. I've owned a few over the years and currently own a Starcraft. We use ours a lot so for me it's worth it but if you are only going to use one a couple weeks a year you are probably better off renting a camper, cabin or staying in a hotel.

Keep renting if I where in your shoes. As has been explained, they are poorly built and lose value quickly.

4. Member
    I purchased a lightly used 1 year old travel trailer this past year. We have used it for one 5 day trip to the beach. Wife and daughter loved it, all I can think about is how it cost me about 5k a night.

5. Member
    As mentioned nothing like a house is built. Look at the Jayco brand. I have owned 7 different ones and I like Jayco by far the best as far as craftsmanship goes. Hope this helps.

6. Member
    For only 2-3 weeks a year I would keep renting a camper or cabin and you would most likely come out ahead. I keep doing research and looking like you and your right about the quality and customer service. I will be at the travel show in Indy next month looking at them again and going through the same thing.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishon396 View Post
    For only 2-3 weeks a year I would keep renting a camper or cabin and you would most likely come out ahead. I keep doing research and looking like you and your right about the quality and customer service. I will be at the travel show in Indy next month looking at them again and going through the same thing.
    They are having a RV show this week in Indy as well. It’s at the state fairgrounds. I’m not sure if it’s as big as the Boat Sport and Travel show though.

8. Banned
    RV camping is like any other hobby in that you have to make the decision to (1) use the camper often and (2) have a place to store it. It's a commitment to living the RV life.

We have had a travel trailer since 1995, and moved up to a fifth wheel mid size trailer 3 years ago with 4 slides. Our grandkids wanted to go to the campground last week in spite of rain in the forecast all days. And they had a great time. Camping is a very wholesome hobby for families with really nice people in campgrounds.

I could write a book on RV issues, the bankruptcies of 2009 and the deficiencies of many dealership service departments in spite of charging 2x the labor rates of auto repairs. We're seeing Camping World be purchased by Marcus Lemonis' hedge fund only to pay too much for the dealership they purchased, and they appear to be bleeding red ink. Smart RVers don't buy from C/W anyway.

We are very fortunate to leave our fifth wheel in a member owned deeded camping resort in storage all year, and they move it on campsites for us. I can tow it, but seldom do since we don't travel. Other than the initial investment, our camper costs about $800 per year in upkeep, etc.

9. Banned
    The new ones are not built as well.They paint them up pretty,catch peoples eyes with fancy looking furniture,counter tops,big screen Tvs and more.
    I have a 2005 35' Cardinal 5th bought new.been living Fulltime in it for over 8 yrs and holding up well.had to replace furnace,water heater,fridge,toilet that's about it except small stuff also on 4th set of tires and new shocks.Not sure how much longer I will live Fulltime in it,thinking about a mobile home who knows just not sure yet.

10. Member
    I agree. No way is it cost effective to purchase a camper for 2 or 3 weeks a year, especially if one wants a quality built trailer. I feel my 2018 Rockwood Ultralite is quality built and the MSRP was $40K. It is miles ahead of the campers I had back in the 70s and 80s. I do spend at least four months a year camped on the lake fishing. A perk of being old and retired.

11. Member
    We all know were going to lose some money over time with a boat or travel trailer because there like luxury items. The main things keeping me from getting the trailer are I could only use it 2-3 weeks a year, I have no place to store it and don't want to pay storage fees, have not been able to find a seasonal spot on the lake close by and if I am towing a camper I will have to leave the boat behind. Right now we camp with a tent and truck cap and tow the boat and enjoy hanging out at the campgrounds in decent weather. When the wife retires in 2-3 years and we can use the camper for months at a time we will buy one and be able to justify the cost a little more.

Look at Airstream.
    2000 Ranger 520DVX 225hpdi

13. Banned
    We all know were going to lose some money over time with a boat or travel trailer because there like luxury items. The main things keeping me from getting the trailer are I could only use it 2-3 weeks a year, I have no place to store it and don't want to pay storage fees, have not been able to find a seasonal spot on the lake close by and if I am towing a camper I will have to leave the boat behind. Right now we camp with a tent and truck cap and tow the boat and enjoy hanging out at the campgrounds in decent weather. When the wife retires in 2-3 years and we can use the camper for months at a time we will buy one and be able to justify the cost a little more.
    I hear you on when wife retires and you can get a camper and be able to use it for months.Wife and I were on the road for over 6 yrs,worked for pay and volunteered at some really nice campgrounds along the way.We are starting to slow down and fixed up our lot with a pad on family land in the country along a bayou.Been sitting here for almost a year.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeGraaf View Post
    Look at Airstream.
    And hold your breath when you ask for the price. You would have to live out of one for it to be a worthy purchase.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by riverc View Post
    I hear you on when wife retires and you can get a camper and be able to use it for months.Wife and I were on the road for over 6 yrs,worked for pay and volunteered at some really nice campgrounds along the way.We are starting to slow down and fixed up our lot with a pad on family land in the country along a bayou.Been sitting here for almost a year.
    That sounds awesome I bet you had a lot of god times and meet some nice people. We may work a little at a campground but we are not sure how hard it is get work while camping. I know KOA has a work camper program that could be an option.

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DeGraaf View Post
    Look at Airstream.
    Airstreams cost around $125,000 very often. They're heavy and really need a pickup truck to tow--preferably a diesel 3/4 ton or heavier. A $200K total investment keeps many people out of an Airstream. And even at that, they don't have any slides and are relatively small inside in width.

17. Banned
    That sounds awesome I bet you had a lot of god times and meet some nice people. We may work a little at a campground but we are not sure how hard it is get work while camping. I know KOA has a work camper program that could be an option.
    You can finds lots on jobs on nice lakes with Corps of Engineer and State Parks and have plenty time to fish.I lived and worked on El Dorado Lake in Kansas for 2 yrs my campsite was 1 block from the ramp.
    Worked 4 summers at a Rv park on Blue Mesa Res. Near Gunnison Colorado with excellent Kokanee Salmon,trout and yellow perch.
    Lol I am not a fan KOA look elsewhere.You ever have any questions about workamping
    send me a pm will help with any questions.

18. Member
    I have a coachman I have no problems with it I do regular maintance on it like check tires windows for leaks furnace and water heater and ac

19. Member
    Trailers are like cars or a house , have to be worked on and maintained.Ours is a 2015 and have had to replace heating element in refer and replace a slide cable .Did them myself and saved $$

As other folks have mentioned don't go looking at a travel trailer the same way you would looking for a house. We bought a 2018 Jayco SLX 245 RLS and have been very pleased with what we got for our money. We have had zero problems (knock on wood).

I am going to the storage lot to pick it up later today and we are heading to Blackwater River State Park for several days.
    Sick, tired, hungry, broke, busted, disgusted, can't be trusted, been imposed on and won't fight

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast