Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Love our excel 5th wheel but it does cost more than the average travel trailer maybe that’s where a little difference comes in to play

Quote Originally Posted by DJ176VLO View Post
    I purchased a lightly used 1 year old travel trailer this past year. We have used it for one 5 day trip to the beach. Wife and daughter loved it, all I can think about is how it cost me about 5k a night.
    5k a night? I hope that's a serious typo.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    Airstreams cost around $125,000 very often. They're heavy and really need a pickup truck to tow--preferably a diesel 3/4 ton or heavier. A $200K total investment keeps many people out of an Airstream. And even at that, they don't have any slides and are relatively small inside in width.
    I love campers and the main problems are mostly the dealers and the manufacturers don’t see eye to eye on warnenty claims . I was gonna buy a new airstream but my son talked me into buying a lake house instead and I’m glad .

I've owned several campers over the years. I always liked the looks of these but I have never owned one.
    https://www.livinlite.com/products/c...avel-trailers/

98 Bullet 20XD
    225 Pro Max

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    Cost $20,000 for travel trailer and all accessories - Slept a total of 4 nights in it.

6. Member
    I'd think not.

I remember telling my wife that the first 40 days we went fishing, it'd only cost $1000 EACH. Then after 80 times it was only $500 each. (And that was for a boat that we only had $40,000 in.) Just imagine how bad it'd hurt to go out in a $105,000 Ranger!
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

7. Banned

My guess is he paid $25k for the trailer, used it 5 nights therefore $5k a night.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlaw View Post
    My family has been renting campers twice a year for the last few years. We enjoy and would like to go more so I have been thinking about buying one. All the research and reviews I have seen makes me wonder if I would be better off just to keep renting them. It seems like they are all poorly built and customer service after the sale is pretty much non existent. I just don’t want to spend that much on something just to have to deal with problems all the time. I originally wanted a new one but am wondering if I would be better off getting a slightly used one.
    You'd be much better off with a used _________. Electronics, and a few other categories, are exempt.
    You are correct, the vast majority of the RV market is cheaply produced - welcome to Big Corporate.
    And the really high quality units are priced accordingly. And some cheat anyway, hiding the cost cutting.
    I'd suggest looking here for a used unit, ideas, pricing, etc. ... https://www.pplmotorhomes.com

9. Member
    We looked at a bunch of new and used before we purchased ours. It was a calculated purchase knowing the average live before having problems is seven years according to one of the camping sites. We have used it a lot and spent many fun days dry camping but not without issues. They fall apart and things fail. They require yearly maintenance on roofs and all seals among other things. If not done they will fall apart quicker.
    As one person documented in his troubles, even keeping it in storage and doing the maintenance won’t stop all of it. His had rot in the walls and roof. Probably from driving down the road in the rain during his use. This was after only a few years.
    If you are only going to use it once or twice a year I would rent one or rent a cabin.

10. Member
    Forrest River is very well built.

11. Member
    The fiberglass shell models (no wood frame) tend to hold their value better, but the purchase price is also generally higher either new or used. I will say many of the components such as HVAC, fridge, heater, etc are common to all models though.
    Bigfoot, Casita, others of similar build might be worth checking into. The Casita is good for two people, too small for a family. Check fiberglass RV Forum.
    Like boats, use them only occasionally and they are expensive on a per trip basis. Keeping whatever model you have under a shed roof tends to make roofs last longer and greatly reduces water leak damage. Best of luck.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Topwater 2 View Post
    Forrest River is very well built.
    Some are and some aren't. I had a FR 2017 Salem Cruise Light and the build quality was mediocre. I now have a 2018 Rockwood Ultralite and the build quality is very good. Now there is a substantial difference in the cost of the two trailers.

13. Member
    I had a friend/CEO who rented one for a month each summer. Asked why he did not purchase one. He said he gets a new or one year old model every year, no storage, repairs, license plates, insurance, etc. He call if he has a problem and they have someone come out and fix it no matter where he is. Said he would rather pay extra for not having to deal with it the remainder of the year.
    Buy a late model used one and use the hell out of it. If you don't use it a lot, you will be paying a ton of money that you could be saving, especially if you need a new vehicle to tow it with.
    That said, just bought a 19 Ford F-350 and am looking for a used 5th wheel. I guess I like having my own stuff I can use as much or little, and when I want.
    dvl2700

14. Banned
    We belong to a member owned campground about an hour NE of the edge of Atlanta--in the Blue Ridge mountains. It's a really great place with 300 campsites, two pools, a fishing lake and a huge common house. The mountains there run about 4500', and the Appalachian Trail is across the road on top of the mountain.

We have 3 cabins and 25 rental travel trailers available to members that don't have their own camping trailers.

We've members 23 years, and our fifth wheel trailer stays in storage until we call and have them move it on a campsite for us. It's our home away from home for a total cost of about $800 per year.

Bamaman got an R-Pod last year and one trip was to Helen GA. your right the mountains in Georgia area sight to see. Had no idea the scenery was going to be that memorable and I've been all over the country including out west. So close to home and never knew until we started RVing.

Tournament-Fishing \"It\'s not a question of if you will be humbled but how many times\"

[total cost of about $800 per year.[/QUOTE]
    $800 per year is a steal, we've been checking
    Is that cause you've been there so long? I want in.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RdRngR View Post
    [total cost of about $800 per year.
    $800 per year is a steal, we've been checking
    Is that cause you've been there so long? I want in.[/QUOTE]

I spend three months or so (March, April and October) on Corps of Engineers lakes (lake DeGray and Lake Ouachta in Arkansas)and with my old guy America The Beautiful pass it costs between $7-$10 a day. 50 amp hook up.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RFSims View Post
    I spend three months or so (March, April and October) on Corps of Engineers lakes (lake DeGray and Lake Ouachta in Arkansas)and with my old guy America The Beautiful pass it costs between $7-$10 a day. 50 amp hook up.
    No better value or purpose than the annual pass, absolutely get mine every year.
    Been ‘contributing’ for decades, both state parks and national parks.
    However, I’m about to finally get my full value. We are soon to be hard at it.

19. Member
    I would suggest looking at used campers too. You can find some really good deals on like new stuff. Campers are horrible about depreciating day one off the lot too. Start small,and make sure it's going to be. something you do regularly! The sooner the better...once your kids get to be 16-20 they don't want to hang with you anymore so it'll be just you and the wife....enjoy your time today! They will be back around a few years later! Ha

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12