Trolling motor circuit breaker upgrade

I have a 2001 Champion 196 that currently has the factory 40 amp circuit breakers for the trolling motor (36 volt) I am looking to get a Ultrex that requires 60 amp. Does anyone know where I can get the 60 amp breakers that would fit where the current 40 amp ones are at now?

2. Member
    I replaced mine with a Bussman CB185-60 breaker. I surface mounted it over the hole where the 40amp ones use to be.
    2017 Ranger Z520C / Mercury 250 ProXS 2S

3. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Check here ... they may also have 60A

Klixon 50A OEM Breaker Source
    Custom Marine Services
    Last edited by Tx Champ; 01-06-2019 at 09:14 AM.

4. Member
    Thank you guys!

5. Member
    Check Amazon. The best price for breakers , I have found

6. Member
    MinnKota MKR 19 60 amp circuit breaker about $40 really slick unit.

7. Member
    I suggest you see the size wiring that is running to & from that breaker. If it isn't a minimum of #6 your going to fry the wire before the breaker even has a clue that the wire is frying & start a fire. #4 is what I would personally run on a 60amp. 50amp is what #6 size wire is rated for. My boat runs #6 to & from a 40amp breaker, but the wires in the pedal are #8 but are such a small length before the #6 connection I should have any problems. I did upgrade the 12/24 switch to a 50amp & also upgraded the plug in connection to 50amp & the wires to the plug male & female end to #6. mioght be over kill to sum, but I will never ever have to go swimming because of a fire which by the time you realize the wires in the hull have begun to catch fire would have caused major damage to the glass hull let alone if it got near the fuel tank. Any time you upgrade a breaker you have to upgrade the wire to match.
    Robert Lafreniere
    Lomita, California
    1986 Champion Mean 15
    1986 Mercury Tower Of Power 90hp

8. Member
    I have 6 gauge wire in the boat going to the trolling motor. Wouldn't that be big enough to upgrade to a 60 amp and run a Ultrex. I know I have to upgrade my plug and receptacle, as the current Marinco setup isn't rated for 60 amps. Any suggestions on that?

9. Member
    Your running @ the limit of #6. Between te two of us, you will probably never have a problem since normal trolling motor use is short burst of less than a minute & not continuously running for long periods. I'm just someone that is a bigger is better when I do any electrical installs, wether it be on someones home or on my boat. As long as your aware of the potential hazards & what you do to avoid them your ok. I doubt anybody but me would upgrade to #4 anyway.

10. Member
    I just noticed your from Windsor, Canada, I was born there & will be moving back next year. Lived in St. Clair Beach & Riverside.