Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talons vs Ultrex?

Throwing the idea of only talons x 2. and my motor guide Tour 82 or go with a Minn Kota Ultrex /no talons and spot lock where needed.. Any opinions or thoughts ...Thanks
    2003 Stratos 201 XL Pro
    2005 Mercury Verado 250
    Hds5, Hds9, Hds 9

2. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    Ultrex gets my vote.

If you fish a bunch of shallow water, probably get the Talons. Otherwise get the Ultrex...

Or save up some extra $$$ and get Talons and Ultrex.

Good luck

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

3. Member
    Being in Canada Ultrex for sure

4. Member
    I only use the Ultrex. Talons would be nice to have but the Ultrex is a must have for me.

5. Member
    Ultrex. Talons are loud imo.

6. Member
    I have both, and need both where I fish. That's what it's going to come down to for you.....what type of water are you going to fish. Before ultrex was out, fishing in any water over my 12' talon's holding ability was a pain. On a windy day running the trolling motor to try to stay on spot made fishing feel more like work than fun sometimes. It took about 6 months for me to decide I had to have an ultrex and that it was a justified purchase. It only took the first time I stepped on the spot lock button to know 100% for sure that the ultrex was a justified purchase. It makes fishing enjoyable and so much easier to fish the way I always struggled before. As far as talons, people say they're noisy, however I believe all the noise is coming from the motor and gear which is at the top of the units, way above the water. I dont think any noise is actually going into the water. I'm a welder in a factory, and I see hydraulics fail daily and that is why I won't use power poles....no way that mess is going in my boat! My talons are as big a tool as my ultrex, if I'm in 10' or less I use talons and not spot lock. I will say that where I fish, due to the deeper water, I use spot lock more than my talons.

7. Member
    Awesome responses and thank you
    2003 Stratos 201 XL Pro
    2005 Mercury Verado 250
    Hds5, Hds9, Hds 9

8. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Based on your location I'm guessing we fish many of the same waters..... I have both on my boat but if I could only have one, I would go with the Ultrex.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

9. Banned
    Ultrex, and one used Talon.

10. Member
    If its one or the other....you only need one ultrex...and that will work it deep water to

If money doesn't matter buy both lol...with cash of course
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    Ultrex, and one used Talon.
    Do this, and have both for $3000.
    Having two Talons/PP's is highly over rated.

12. Member
    I fish mostly shallow weedy lakes & Ponds so it's Talons for me. Plus we have a lot of wind.

I see no reason to upgrade as i have no need for spot lock!

13. Member
    ultrex an never look back

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by javjoe View Post
    I fish mostly shallow weedy lakes & Ponds so it's Talons for me. Plus we have a lot of wind.

I see no reason to upgrade as i have no need for spot lock!
    That is what I thought until I got my Ultrex. The Ultrex is so nice to fish with I will never have a boat without one.

I have one Talon and it rarely gets used now that I have an Ultrex. I am in Florida and fish a lot of shallow, weedy water.
    Sick, tired, hungry, broke, busted, disgusted, can't be trusted, been imposed on and won't fight

16. Moderator
    I just put an Ultrex on my boat a month ago, I’ve had talons on my boat since day one. If had to go back to the fortrex or lose my talons. I’d say good by to the rain gutters. The Ultrex makes life so much easier.

17. Member
    Ultrex. My power pole (no offense to Power Pole, it's great product) collects dust after getting an ultrex.

18. Banned
    If your boat sits in 8 foot of water or more the majority of time then an ultrex. If you’re churning with the trolling motor most of the day, then get the talons.

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    Having two Talons/PP's is highly over rated.
    As the owner of just one power pole for last 4 years, I couldn’t disagree with this statement anymore. Any day that I’m using the “pole” a bunch I’m cussing the whole time wishing i had another. The front of boat is constantly spinning. Enough that during the spawn season I still have to carry an anchor with me on top of the pole.

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by catch5 View Post
    As the owner of just one power pole for last 4 years, I couldn’t disagree with this statement anymore. Any day that I’m using the “pole” a bunch I’m cussing the whole time wishing i had another. The front of boat is constantly spinning. Enough that during the spawn season I still have to carry an anchor with me on top of the pole.
    I don't often fish where the boat position is critical; I just drop the single Talon and let the boat spin until it stops, and fish from that end of the boat closest to where I want to be.
    If I really need it to not spin, I drop the Talon and put the TM on 10% pointed ahead. No spinning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast