96 Mercury 175 EFI random power loss

Hello guys. I have a 1996 175efi that is giving me a fit. I have spent over $2500 on this engine(unexpectedly)since I bought the boat last February on various other issues and it's still not right. It has no trouble starting and runs fine most of the time. It will randomly lose power and run rough. During this period you can push the throttle wide open and it changes nothing. If running on plane it will set the boat down when it acts up. It may be a 2 second jerk or it may last 3 min then it will take off like it never happened. It does it in all ranges from idle to full throttle. I may go fish 6 hours with no issue then fight it the whole time next trip. It's so sporadic I have no clue what to look at. Also only turns about 5300 rpm wide open. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

2. Member
    have you checked it for a fuel filter? Inspect fuel lines and bulb. Could be the boxes or another multitude of things. Post your motor vin so the motor would be properly identified.
    1999 Pantera Classic
    1999 Merc 200hp EFI

3. Member
    The fuel filter and water separator have both been replaced . Serial # OG321121

4. Member
    Doe's it just quit or is there a slow down before shut down? Also could be electrical. Hard to say with out testing.
    1999 Pantera Classic
    1999 Merc 200hp EFI

5. Member
    It never dies, just instantly cuts back to a rough idle then resumes like it never happened.

6. Member
    I'm thinking electrical. Believe your going to need someone there to trouble shoot the system.
    1999 Pantera Classic
    1999 Merc 200hp EFI

7. Member
    Back to the fuel thing....have your replaced ALL THE LINES? You wouldn't believe what some of us have found!!

8. Member
    I will look back through them again but I think I got them all. I think lol. Thanks for the replies

9. Member
    Dman you likely have a electrical issue with a switch box or loose driver in ecu when it does it bump on front of ecu = stops miss bad driver ,and check for spark on all cyls when miss occurs
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

10. Member
    Must Check ECU for intermittent problems

11. Member
    I will definitely try that next time I'm out! I really appreciate the help and will post back as soon as I can get back out

12. Member
    +1 on the ECU.

13. Member
    Can you still get new ecu for a 95 200 horse mercury EFI?

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Probably not- but they can be repaired.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Basser100 View Post
    Sounds like your ECU is dropping injectors, that's what was wrong with mine...you can get that ECU repaired...brucato, cdi and simonsmotorsports rebuilds them also..http://simonmotorsports.com/ I think I saw simons say 695 to repair one, not sure.
    Bruce Phillips
    1995 190 DC champion ......1995 200 xri merc

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Basser100 View Post
    no not avail from merc anymore
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................