Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Between those and the video it looks interesting for sure. Electronic steer built in the head with the flex knuckle of a regular trolling motor. That's the weakness of the ultrex, it has no flex like the fortrex. Looks pretty nice too. Now we all need to know the price point? Lol Not sure they really break in the market without under pricing the ultrex
    Last edited by CatFan; 01-09-2019 at 06:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by moetorola View Post
    Looking at these pictures it appears to be inline with Bill's post#13.

It appears the drive unit for *spotlock is built into the head instead of at the mount like all others.
    The unit appears to be split shaft like traditional cable controlled.
    Also the lower unit being smaller may indicate brushless design.

All speculation of course, but fun taking guesses!
    This is interesting. This is the TM unit that was in the deleted video.
    It is a split shaft, but it appears the split occurs in the bow mount. The shaft from the head to the bow mount seems to be solidly attached at both ends so it must have an internal shaft that is rotated by the foot pedal.
    Just a thought: if the shaft split occurs inside the bow mount, it would be possible to mount a servomotor there that could over ride the pedal to control the lower shaft.
    EDIT: the above doesn’t work. If the split occurs inside the bow mount, you would not be able to adjust the height of the motor. The deleted pic shows the head much lower and closer to bow mount. I am back to believing al the control occurs in the head.
    The motor is short but large in diameter, could be Permanent Magnent or brushless. It does have a cone though, and that is normally where the commutation plate is mounted.
    Last edited by Bill Reynolds; 01-08-2019 at 07:22 PM.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by contium View Post
    I wonder if Motor Guide is building it for Lowrance. Same parent company, right?
    No.

Lowrance is a brand of Navico.

Mercury is a brand of Brunswick.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    This is interesting. This is the TM unit that was in the deleted video.
    It is a split shaft, but it appears the split occurs in the bow mount. The shaft from the head to the bow mount seems to be solidly attached at both ends so it must have an internal shaft that is rotated by the foot pedal.
    Just a thought: if the shaft split occurs inside the bow mount, it would be possible to mount a servomotor there that could over ride the pedal to control the lower shaft.
    EDIT: the above doesn’t work. If the split occurs inside the bow mount, you would not be able to adjust the height of the motor. The deleted pic shows the head much lower and closer to bow mount. I am back to believing al the control occurs in the head.
    The motor is short but large in diameter, could be Permanent Magnent or brushless. It does have a cone though, and that is normally where the commutation plate is mounted.
    The pics dont show it but in the video you can see there is 2 things hanging down from the head. Probably electronics and electric motor.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    The pics dont show it but in the video you can see there is 2 things hanging down from the head. Probably electronics and electric motor.
    I noticed that also, that is what makes me think the steering drive motor is in the head.

6. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Note: Images were removed from this thread at the request of Lowrance.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

7. Member
    I figured they would be. That's why I took screenshots yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Fun suckers...

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    I totally respect you position but I am Glad someone leaked the photos, now I know they have something in the works and maybe I will hold off on switching to Minn Kota until I see what Lowrance and Garmin have up their sleeves later this year. Maybe they should enhance their teaser video a bit to give us something more to hold onto.

10. Member
    So this site got strong armed (censored) by a company? Did they send some WiseGuys over to Al's house?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    So this site got strong armed (censored) by a company? Did they send some WiseGuys over to Al's house?
    No strong arming..just a request and the mods obliged the request. The photos i found where on facebook and posted by a friend of a tester. I kind of feel bad for the tester actually!

12. Member
    What’s wrong with Ulterra and Xi5 please?

Quote Originally Posted by moetorola View Post
    I just hope it is like the Ultrex and not the Ulterra or Xi5.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassTracker175 View Post
    What’s wrong with Ulterra and Xi5 please?
    Nothing wrong with them, I just prefer foot controlled style.

14. Member
    Xi5 works great when it is in the water. I only use the remote on mine. Wireless footpedal is useless. Getting it in and out of the water is a pain in the axx. I have used the Ultrex on a buddys boat. I really liked it. Best of both worlds. GPS and Cable Steer. Can't bring my self to pull the trigger on a 2500 trolling motor when the one I have is still working fine. Also waiting to see what Lowrance has comming out.
    Stratos 2003 200 Pro XL

15. Member
    Thanks for the info!

After some research, Seems Xi5 gets lots of issues and complaints and returns. May have not happened on yours. Not sure they fixed the product or not.

Quote Originally Posted by WVTERP View Post
    Xi5 works great when it is in the water. I only use the remote on mine. Wireless footpedal is useless. Getting it in and out of the water is a pain in the axx. I have used the Ultrex on a buddys boat. I really liked it. Best of both worlds. GPS and Cable Steer. Can't bring my self to pull the trigger on a 2500 trolling motor when the one I have is still working fine. Also waiting to see what Lowrance has comming out.

Quote Originally Posted by BassTracker175 View Post
    Thanks for the info!

After some research, Seems Xi5 gets lots of issues and complaints and returns. May have not happened on yours. Not sure they fixed the product or not.
    I run XI5, its been very good (since September) have tour 109 before. I like the XI5 and foot pedal is a little tricky but its not mash to turn but bump pressure to turn. its easy once you get the feel. as far as deploying it , its a little easier now with the G-handle and return stow is easier too. You have to push the head out some then mash pedal to flip over and down. I have found if running in a area I just grab handle, mash pedal. pull handle to get coming back grab head of tm and push down to lock. motor will stay in groove vertical. if long runs I will lay flat and pull into locks.

I was told about new tm coming 2 yrs ago. its what I'll add to my boat and use the XI5 on pontoon. I wanted a TM that worked with lowrance and the
    XI5 does great.
    JEFF MURRAY USMC
    RANGER Z521C & 15 VERADO PRO 250
    DEEP CREEK LURES and ROSE JIGS
    GREENFISH TACKLE and ALX RODS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12