Repowering/outboard purchase and taxes.

I will be repowering my boat soon. Do I have to pay taxes on a used 2018 outboard motor purchase? What information/documents will Louisiana department of wildlife and fisheries require from me to update my boat registration with my new motor? Bill of sale? Do they title outboards now?

2. Member
    Repowered in Mississippi recently no taxes.
    I mean I know of a guy that repowered in Mississippi and he paid no taxes for you state tax nazis.
    Now I paid cash to repower no financing involved.

Call a dealer like Atlantic Marine in Bay St Louis and ask them how it works.

Was this a new or used motor? Yesterday I had a conversation with an out of state dealer and he told me he could sell me a brand new motor (cash) with no tax, and I could take care of the Louisiana taxes myself when I get back home. Thought that was interesting

4. Member
    It is a new motor a few guys told me about it this dealer.
    I am talking about over 30 people.
    The motors that I know been repowered are smaller mid range engine.
    Cost wise there not much play from dealer to dealer on small engines as I shopped around.

As far as service the dealer not that far from my house and given my friends good service.

It sound like it falls into the category of in Miss you pay the tax where the motor is registered.
    Louisiana does not require the motor to be titled or registered.
    I think this is where the tax loop hole is.
    YOU MIGHT WANT TO CONFIRM THIS!
    FINANCING MIGHT BE A DIFFERENT PUPPY PLEASE VERIFY!
    Last edited by jlsch1; 01-04-2019 at 06:58 AM.

5. Member
    Louisiana does title motors now. If you finance it you will pay taxes. If you pay cash and don’t register it you won’t pay taxes.
    SUSHII
    21XRS/SHO

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyd20i View Post
    Was this a new or used motor? Yesterday I had a conversation with an out of state dealer and he told me he could sell me a brand new motor (cash) with no tax, and I could take care of the Louisiana taxes myself when I get back home. Thought that was interesting
    If you buy new from out of state and don't pay the taxes, whenever the state audits that business they will find out. Then you will owe the taxes, interest, and fines. I tried that with a fourwheeler. About a year and a half later, i got a bill from the Dept of Revenue.