Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Member
    So use 701 and NOT 701S? And earlier you said "The rocker switch will not be rated high enough to carry the poles for any length of time." But right now that rocker switch to the PP (the only thing connected to it) comes straight from the battery with that 50 amp corroded shortstop. On days where I have turned the rocker switch (PP) on there has been no problem all day (8+ hours). I'm not questioning you, I just don't understand.

When I do what is suggested, there will be no rocker switch needed correct? I've never posted a pic of this rocker switch to my pp. Maybe it's a good quality switch. But it has a wire with a 50A shortstop going to it. So, safetywise, it's a bad deal from what I understand. Do I make sense? I think I'm getting close to understanding and can begin procuring the materials needed to either try this myself or find a guy.

2. Member
    See previous post above in addition to this please.I'm working to know exactly what my Power Pole wiring situation is. I already mentioned it was wired with a dedicated 50A shortstop and we all know that is wrong to do. I removed this toggle switch I spoke of earlier. Please see pics in this post.
    Looks like this was a 20A switch if I'm correct?
    One connected side of the 50A shortstop actually fell apart as I was checking this a minute ago. I have traced the wires and verified nothing else went to this switch. Switch doesn't light up now when turned on unless I touch disconnected end back into the shortstop. Folks on the Power Pole forum say it has changed to suggesting a 40A fuse instead of 30A. Wanted to know thoughts on that. I've traced all my wire and see no other fuse in the wiring (besides the corroded now disconnected 50A shortstop near the battery). After seeing these pics of rocker switch is it evident this was eventually going to fail on me?

Last edited by BassCatKev; 01-13-2019 at 03:51 PM.

3. Member
    I see very few rocker switches rated as high as 30 or 40A. Wasn't aware of the change in breaker size. They (powerpole hasn't upgraded the wire they use - still 10ga) and unless the newer style pumps have all of a sudden started drawing higher amps, I stay with the 30A breaker. As we discussed, do away with the rocker and add the 701. The 701 can also be used to disconnect other items or circuits on the boat. If that is what you decide to do, the switch would be wired direct to the battery, then each circuit be fused/breakered as it comes off the 701 switch.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

4. Member
    I have been on Blue Seas Website as well as searched Amazon and cannot find Blue Seas 701 switch. I know it's read but not sure which red one it is. Is there a specific amp rating or some other way to find it? Is BEP same as Blue Seas?

This link is the BEP Mini Battery Disconnect Switch 275A Continuous (Part #701 By Bep Marine)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1000_.jpg
    Last edited by BassCatKev; 01-14-2019 at 10:05 AM.

5. Member
    And where is a typical mounting location in a bilge for a switch like this? I guess those 2 screw holes from removing the rocker switch can't be reused for this new switch doesn't look like.

6. Member
    Probably not typical, but in my P2, I mounted mine to the aluminum battery tray with an angle from Home Depot. I have two (one for the troller batteries, and one for the crank battery). BEP 701 mini

2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

7. Member
    I put mine on the battery tray as in the picture above (great minds think alike). What is the rocker switch that is attached to the plate under where you're holding the rocker switch?
    BTW, I sell those switches also
    John
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    [/SIGPIC]

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    I put mine on the battery tray as in the picture above (great minds think alike). What is the rocker switch that is attached to the plate under where you're holding the rocker switch?
    BTW, I sell those switches also
    John
    So is the 701 Mini in Catdudes pic the same as Blue Seas 701? I want to order the exactly correct switch since I'll likely get it on Amazon. I assume Lowe's, Home Depot don't have these.

John to answer your question, it's the same switch in both pics. I wanted to show you the numbers on the side (20A) and the front panel just so I was clear to you (and others) it was a rocker switch. Guess I'm going to have to fill those 2 holes with something since this new switch can't be put there.

9. Member
    This is the same switch. BEP makes it for Blue Seas. I think it will go on the angle price where the rocker switch is, if not on the plate the rocker was on.
    John
    https://www.amazon.com/BEP-701-PM-Ba...eas+701+switch
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]

10. Member
    John, the rocker is a BCB installed power disconnect for the power poles. They should also have the 30a or 40a fuses inline from BCB unless someone has removed them.
    Dave Sheffield
    Proudly Representing:
    Bass Cat Boats
    Mercury Outboards
    MotorGuide Trolling Motors
    Ardent Outdoors
    Power Pole

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shef View Post
    John, the rocker is a BCB installed power disconnect for the power poles. They should also have the 30a or 40a fuses inline from BCB unless someone has removed them.
    Shef.....are you referring to the rocker I sent a pic of? BCB installed it? Now I'm really lost. If possible, please see my post on the Power Pole/Talons Forum. I have someone stopping by to help me redo this tomorrow afternoon.

12. Member
    I figured from the graphics on the plate it was a Basscat installation. Not the only thing that I've seen boat manufacturers do that was inadequate -- but don't ask me why they (bassboat mfgs) do it. I'm currently rewiring the depth finders on two late model Rangers because they were factory wired into a junction that is fed by 14ga wire and has several other appliances wired to it. Just to ask the question, why would you expect a 20A switch to carry the load of two powerpoles that (when running) are pulling apx 30A each.

BTW, not picking on Basscat. I run a Puma and have have had Basscats since 1979. They are, IMHO, one of the best made boats out there. Like I said, I find inadequacies on most all bassboat's wiring. Some are still using 8ga on the trollingmotors, especially aluminum's.
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]

13. Member
    Where EXACTLY would 30A fuses be installed? My rocker switch is installed right where the bilge lid can be removed (front of bilge). See post #62. Will the 30A in line fuse be located BEFORE the switch (between pp and switch) or after (between switch and battery)? I'm 100% sure no 30A fuse is located between switch and battery. There is a 50A shortstop fuse inches from the battery connections see post #26. I've felt around from pp to switch and nothing.

14. Member
    Kev, follow the wires from the pump to that rocker switch, that's where they should be. They will be two waterproof housings that hold the fuses. Being the nit picker, I went as far as to cut out the panel the rocker switch is mounted to and installed a second rocker. I had one for each PP.
    Dave Sheffield
    Proudly Representing:
    Bass Cat Boats
    Mercury Outboards
    MotorGuide Trolling Motors
    Ardent Outdoors
    Power Pole

15. Member
    I have followed wires from pump to rocker. Positively no fuse. Switch is inches outside the pic. No fuse.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234