Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
  1. Member
    Just ordered mine from DREWTICK. I look at it this way I have boat insurance for those just in case moments. So I figured this was also one of those things for those just in case moments. So I would rather have it and never need it, than need it and not have it. And compared to the rest of the gear we have in our rigs this is inexpensive piece of mind.
    Risen From The Ashes!!

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LTZ25 View Post
    Another one !!
    Jet ski

3. Member
    Several folks here have identified different ways a large outboard motor could break off and potentially enter a bass boat. A couple years ago we identified 9 ways a large outboard motor or significant part of an outboard motor could break off a boat (not counting the cowl). In seven of the nine instances, the outboard motor could enter the boat. We sketched a chart showing the range of instances tethers such as The Leash try to address and identify which ones cause them problems. The chart applies to instances in which The Leash is bolted to the mounting bolts that go through the hull (bolted to the jack plate mounting bolts if you have a jack plate of bolted to the outboard mounting bolts if you do not have a jack plate.)
    outboard-flipped-chart-1000.jpg
    gary

4. Member
    If I had to dream up something to worry about, I think I'd dream up the steering wheel coming off in my hand at 60 MPH.

If I can invent something to solve that problem, I'll bet doofusses (doofi?) would buy it.

What about airbags? Don't we need airbags in boats? Seat belts? Christ, we need seat belts. Maybe brake lights. Have to be HCBL. Mirrors. We need three mirrors.

I'm somewhat of an expert at wrecking boats, but I am not scared of a 225 HP Yamaha jumping in the seat with me.

Christ, people, if you are that scared, don't get in a bass boat.

5. Member
    Old thread, still an interesting topic.

If the company can't perform actual real-world testing due to costs, I do suspect that this could be modeled with appropriate engineering modelling programs. No, you can't account for every possible scenario in a computer generated model, not any more than you could with actual testing, but surely in a simple model of a boat with certain speed, certain weight, a motor with a certain weight, a fixed object of certain mass, and a tether of certain tensile strength, a basic model could be run to give some basic idea of if it would work on not. Maybe that is what they were referring to with the OK State Univ Engineering department, of which we've heard nothing, unless it's been posted elsewhere. Depending on the engineering department, I would think much more complex scenarios have been modeled and have been shown to be a good, reasonable predictor of a device's performance.

It does "seem" like a potentially useful device but as has been pointed out, there is a lot unknown. I don't really buy the analogy of a self made race car with a 5-point harness and whether or not it would work because it hasn't been tested in that specific car. It really is completely different because all racing safety gear has actually been tested and has recommended methods of installation. So if you install it wrong, it may not work. And relative to a Leash, it would be more like making your own 5-point harness rather than buying one because the Leash is not like buying a product that has already been through testing in the same way as automotive racing safety equipment. It really is like making your own 5-point harness and assuming it will work, except they are selling this widely. It very well may work, or it may not, or it may cause other problems, those are all 100% totally valid points that folks should not just blow off, IMHO.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

6. Member
    Watch this video of a HS team running on Guntersville. The motor tried to flip in the boat but the leash pulled it back in the water. If you want to know what could happen, look of Rex Chambers boat accident pictures.

7. Banned
    It was only a matter of time.
    Motor mounts, jack plates, and transoms absorb the impact almost all the time. For the small percentage of time that it can't, the leash will absorb the remaining energy and keep the motor behind the boat. You don't need to be an engineer to understand that.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cbd15178 View Post
    Watch this video of a HS team running on Guntersville. The motor tried to flip in the boat but the leash pulled it back in the water. If you want to know what could happen, look of Rex Chambers boat accident pictures.

I thought the video was going to show the incident. Seems to be an advertisement for the product. Theres no abrasion on the motor where the leash is attached but significant abrasion where cowling of motor hits boat. So what actually stopped the motor? Was the motor truly going to break away?

If it gives you peace of mind, by all means buy it. But without real world testing, there’s nothing to show that it will make a difference when that “perfect” collision happens or whether or not the motor will break apart as a result of the leash.

9. Member
    Like any other type of insurance, if your worried about it go ahead and buy a leash. Should they be a requirement, well I guess that depends on statistics for how many times the motor could come loose, how many injuries or deaths that has caused and the additional cost to add the leash.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

10. Member
    If you have a boat that goes that fast and you drive it that fast and boat in water that may have large debris then it is probably a good idea.

If if you an idiot who drives that fast in bad weather and rough water with your freaking kids in the boat? Definitely get one. Because it may be the only things that saves them from your dumbass judgement.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chisco View Post
    I thought the video was going to show the incident. Seems to be an advertisement for the product. Theres no abrasion on the motor where the leash is attached but significant abrasion where cowling of motor hits boat. So what actually stopped the motor? Was the motor truly going to break away?

If it gives you peace of mind, by all means buy it. But without real world testing, there’s nothing to show that it will make a difference when that “perfect” collision happens or whether or not the motor will break apart as a result of the leash.
    If you go to 2:00 - 2:01 and 2:38-2:49 in the video, it does look like it bound down on and wrinkled up whatever that clear film stuff is on the mid section above the cavitation plate, maybe.

The part about it I don't get is how the prop went so high up and the motor rotated up so much. I kinda figured the leash thing would keep it more down than that. Is it stretchy or flexible? Maybe I'm missing something. Maybe there is just that much slack in it.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bluemcm View Post
    If you go to 2:00 - 2:01 and 2:38-2:49 in the video, it does look like it bound down on and wrinkled up whatever that clear film stuff is on the mid section above the cavitation plate, maybe.

The part about it I don't get is how the prop went so high up and the motor rotated up so much. I kinda figured the leash thing would keep it more down than that. Is it stretchy or flexible? Maybe I'm missing something. Maybe there is just that much slack in it.
    That's abrasion of the finish where the leash came tight when the motor tried to flip up.

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chisco View Post

Better look again ^^^^
    Since there is no practical real world testing, that's where a little mechanical aptitude and common sense come in.

Ima fan of the leash. I have one but why in the world would anyone run that fast in 4' waves. Seems like he was driving reckless. If he was worried about getting to the weigh in in time he should have left sooner. I know his catch in the live wells were beat the heck up

Triton 19 XS Elite, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Minn Kota Ultrex 112, Hydrowave H2, Twin 8' Power Pole Blades, Power Pole CHARGE, Lowrance HDS 12 and 16 at console, Lowrance HDS 9, Garmin LiveScope at bow, Mercmonitor, Rigid Industries Deck lights and other stuff to come that will make me go more broke

Quote Originally Posted by cbd15178 View Post

This "Add" talked me into one then. Got a Tx. on the Chowan River coming up and this place is full of cypress tree stumps. Tidal river not well marked from my one time running it. Don't plan on hitting anything but feel better about running around out there with the leash.

16. Member
    Dang! Tough crowd.
    Reflects the incredible range of attitudes behind the wheel of the next 100 bass boats each of us are going to share water with.
    Plan accordingly as your particular assessment warrants.
    You Don't Know what you Don't Know until you Know.

1984 Champion 201/Yamaha 175
    1986 Ranger 390v/Yamaha 200
    2002 Viper Cobra Coosa 216/Mercury 225EFI
    2002 ProSports ProKat 2200/Twin Yamaha 150HPDIs

17. Member
    https://www.witn.com/2021/05/09/four-injured-in-boat-crash-in-albemarle-sound/
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

18. Member
    https://www.witn.com/2021/05/09/four...bemarle-sound/

I would not drive my boat with out it.
    when you see this on the water stop and say hi.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    It was only a matter of time.
    Motor mounts, jack plates, and transoms absorb the impact almost all the time. For the small percentage of time that it can't, the leash will absorb the remaining energy and keep the motor behind the boat. You don't need to be an engineer to understand that.
    A 3,500 lb boat doing 60 plus Mph will have 500,000 ft lbs of kinetic energy, tell me again how a 15000 lbs rope is going to help in a meaningful way.

Do the math guys
    Last edited by lpugh; 05-11-2021 at 10:03 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    A 3,500 lb boat doing 60 plus Mph will have 500,000 ft lbs of kinetic energy, tell me again how a 15000 lbs rope is going to help in a meaningful way.

Do the math guys
    Think of it a different way, if it even slows it enough so it only reaches the back deck instead of the passenger seat it's a win.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast