98 Johnson 200 Cylinder not firing

So I have been trying to figure out an issue with my boat for a while now with my my #5 cylinder not working.
    I took it down to the lake to get some fogging oil into the cylinders for the winter and I decided to do a couple tests.
    I originally thought it was not getting fuel to the cylinder because my plug was never soaked or anything.
    First, I got her running and took the air cleaner off and put my hand over each carb.
    For all cylinders, I felt suction and fuel would spit back and soak my hand.
    Then I unplug the plug wire from my bad cylinder and didnt really notice anything so I unplugged the plug wire above it and got a small shock thru the wire as I pulled it off and put it back on the plug.
    So I started thinking and after reading several posts.
    I do have a basic spark tester that you put inline and when you crank it makes it light up. When I did that test back in the summer, i did it on several plugs to get an idea of how bright the light should be and they all looked the same.
    But I am starting to think that I do not have sufficient voltage to make the plug fire properly.
    I have already swapped coils and plug wires with a known working cylinder.
    I do have a manual for my engine but I wanted to get your guys opinion.
    What is the proper way to test voltage output?
    Do I need anything else besides a standard multi meter?
    Am i on the right track thinking since I didnt get shocked that I might not be getting enough voltage to properly fire that cylinder?
    I sure would like to run on all 6 someday.

Thanks BBC
    98 Triton TR21, 200 Johnson Venom
    2011 RAM 1500 Loramie Longhorn

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Although the #3 power pack wire will not reach the #5 coil you can pull the #3 orange wire and move the #5 orange/green wire to #3 coil and test for spark. If no fire either the power pack or timer base has gone away.

3. Member
    Thanks Champ
    Is that pretty common for the timer base to cause problems?
    I have seen a lot of posts mentioning the timer base but I have never really messed with it.
    I will try your trick. I almost did that but was not 100% sure if that would mess with anything inside the power pack by switching the cables.

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Think of the timer base like a distributor cap on a car, one post for each cylinder. On the underside of the flywheel is a collar that has two pickups and the timer base has six pickups one for each cylinder as the collar on the flywheel passes each mark on the timer base the signal is passed to the power pack and the SCRs inside the pack are told when to fire. The motor will run like crap with the leads swapped but you're only running it long enough for testing. A timing light will help you also.

5. Member
    ChampionMan, thats good stuff. Your boy outhere in Dallas. ��

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Canela View Post
    ChampionMan, thats good stuff. Your boy outhere in Dallas. ��
    Yep, he is top notch in my book. Has always replied to posts as quick as he probably can.