Thread: Swim Jig help

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Swim Jig help

Seems like that is the only way I can catch fish on this particular body of water
    i am using 14# floro and a medium heavy rod and I’m sooooo under powered
    i am asking for recommendations for rod reel and the bet swim jig to get through
    lilly pads. Thanks in advance
    I’m going back out on Saturday to give it a second shot

i get a ton of blow ups but only land a small percentage of bites , so I’m getting frustrated
    maybe im not swimming it right.

2. Scraps
    I think a lot of guys will tell you to switch to braid for good hookups.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

They miss a swim jig a lot in the pads and so end up not getting hooked the best at times, and they’ll get off when they get buried even when they are hooked well. The pads help them knock that jig out of their mouth.

I fish a swim jig on braid almost always anyhow, but I’m definitely with krindgen on this one: in pads you’ve got to use it, and horse them out as quickly as you can. If you let them dig into the pads the chances of them getting off increases exponentially. Just the nature of the beast.

One issue of going to braid is setting the hook too fast, so for this reason I like a mod or mod-fast rod with a lot of backbone. The more moderate action allows them to get the bait, and of course you need the backbone to winch them out.

Even if you don’t go to braid, 14 lb is really light to be fishing in the pads even where I live and I’ve got basically a zero chance of hooking a fish over 6 lbs. Step up to 20 at least if you want to keep using it, in my opinion.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

4. Member
    I fish my swim jigs on a 6'10" Megabass Levante Spinnerbait Special rod, which I would consider a MH rod. It has a moderate-fast tip, so it's got a little more bend in it. I use 30lb braid, which I think helps if you're fishing in or around vegetation. I spool it on a Daiwa Tatula SV TWS reel with an 8.1:1 retrieve ratio. And my swim jigs are all 1/4 oz, purchased from Brovarney Baits (they have a website but are not available through the larger retailers). They have great prices and they have both living rubber (which I prefer) and silicone skirts available, with a ton of great colors. For a trailer I use the 5" single-tail grubs they also sell on their website. If you use a grub trailer, it is important that it is rigged with the tail pointing down because it helps with lift and balance. I'm not sure what size of fish you are targeting, but I have used the 1/4 oz size on the upper Mississippi and have hooked and landed lots of smaller (up to 3 pounds) bass as well as some northern pike up to 5-6 pounds. I've not had a hook bend out on me yet. I typically just use a slow, steady retrieve and have had excellent success. Since the bait is light, you can land it softly as well, which can make a big difference. Sometimes I'll twitch the bait during the retrieve, or do a start-stop retrieve, but mostly I stick with the slow, steady retrieve. I've had no problems bringing my swim jigs through lily pads, tree branches, or other vegetation. I've even used it along rock banks with success. If you have time, go to the Brovarney Baits website and read the "swim jig basics" page. It's got a lot of great information on it, although some of it is just talking about how swim jigs got started. Hope this helps you out a little.

5. Banned
    If You are casting out and then "dropping" then there is NO BETTER swimjig than this one:

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/MESU...e-MESURAP.html

No weed guard and the design of the head allows the jig to 'slide down' Where these really pay off is: You know how most jigs 'get stuck' in the "V" of the Lily frond? These don't get stuck.

Put these in either the 3" or 5" and the color to get is "Houdini" The silver 'flashes' These also are ULTRA durable and You can catch multi fish on a single bait. **Caution ** They are STINKY STINKY and need either a double or triple bag.

https://baitsforsale.com/index.php/p...pper-houndini/

The Megabass™ Levante™ is an absolute STEAL at $119

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Mega...age-MBLCR.html

And because I get to play politician™ and get to spend Your $$$...

I found this reel at $104. The purple of the reel actually matches the purple of the rod...

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Daiw...cpage-WSZ.html

6. Banned
    I'd also 'co-sign' on getting rid of the Fluorocarbon, You're fishing in pads in Flori-Duh where the majority of the water looks like the hoop at a TacoBell™...

7. Member
    Use 40/50lb braid, and stay with your MH rod. Try NOT to set the hook right away, give them a second or two and you'll get them almost every time!

8. Member
    Thanks all.
    A buddy of mine says he uses a 745 HP rod.
    I have that rod but it just sits. Is it a better rod for this technique?

9. Scraps
    If you're target fishing, like how Rojas started the frog craze, you're fine. If you're "mat" fishing you're overmatched. IMHFO there are two types of frog rods, mat rods and a target casting rod. It hurts to target cast all day with the mat fishing rod. In reasonably open water, sparse cover, the MH is fine. But fishing in pads I'd think you want something with a bit more backbone and less tip to winch fish out of the cover.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

10. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Mr. Lew taught me all I know about swim jig fishing, and now it’s my go to bait in the pads and many other places. Those jigs and trailers work very well....don’t tell him I use a Rage Craw sometimes!

My set set up is a 7’1” MH/Fast BPS Platinum combo, 7:1 gear ratio with 30 lb Suffix 832. I use either a 1/4 or 3/8 swim jig. The lighter the weight the less it hangs up in the pads.

I had the hardest time learning WHEN to set the hook. Took me almost 2 weeks fishing my golf course ponds a couple hours each night until I got the feel for it. For me, I feel the hit, keep reeling until my rod starts to load up then I lay into them! Get the fish moving toward the boat as fast as you can. Don’t let them get under the pads or they win!

It took some time time but I love a swim jig now.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

You're using tackle that's way too light for the conditions that you're facing. You might be able to get by with the MH rod, but I prefer a heavy action. You definitely need to go with braid, at least 40 or 50 pound test. You also need a high speed reel to take up the slack, as the fish will sometimes run at you when they hit. I like a reel with an 8:1 gear ratio, but a 7:1 will also work fine. You also need a jig with a stout enough hook that you won't bend it out, because once you get them on in the pads, you have to winch them out. The braid will cut the pad stems, but they can still get tangled badly if you don't get them moving your way quickly. Finally, make sure that when working your jig through the pads that as soon as you come over a pad, you let it drop. Most of the time when the fish hit in on the drop like this the water will boil a little. Then, give the fish just a second before setting the hook. Then, it's off to the races to winch the fish out before they get hung up. I usually use a 1/4 ounce jig. But, if that's too light to effectively drop through the pads when I want it to, I'll go with a 3/8 or even a 1/2 ounce. This is hand to hand combat. Don't bring a knife to a gun fight!
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LewStulePH.D. View Post
    If You are casting out and then "dropping" then there is NO BETTER swimjig than this one:

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/MESU...e-MESURAP.html

No weed guard and the design of the head allows the jig to 'slide down' Where these really pay off is: You know how most jigs 'get stuck' in the "V" of the Lily frond? These don't get stuck.

Put these in either the 3" or 5" and the color to get is "Houdini" The silver 'flashes' These also are ULTRA durable and You can catch multi fish on a single bait. **Caution ** They are STINKY STINKY and need either a double or triple bag.

https://baitsforsale.com/index.php/p...pper-houndini/

The Megabass™ Levante™ is an absolute STEAL at $119

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Mega...age-MBLCR.html

And because I get to play politician™ and get to spend Your $$$...

I found this reel at $104. The purple of the reel actually matches the purple of the rod...

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Daiw...cpage-WSZ.html
    You can also use a pegged 1/4 oz tungsten weight with a punch skirt and your choice of EWG and swimbait... Also if you use the Gambler Quick Change punch skirts you can change your skirt color without having to cut your hook off first..

13. Banned
    The head design is different on the Mesu. My personal feelings that when fishing amongst the Lilypads, the biggest waste of time is casting out 35' and then having to dip the rod and pull.. This of course cuts off 3'-7' of casting distance, oh and look, now Your plastic is fouled up and a tad piece of lilypad is stuck to the hook. Retrieve and cast out again. This time Your too heavy weight has penetrated the Lilypad, so start again... Cast out 42' get caught in the first "V" dip rodtip and PULL! O.k. now You're at 35' oh, big SWIRL.. Crap another "V" lose another 5'...

Thanks, but I'll stick w/the Mesu but when the grass grows again maybe I'll either grab My bullet weight (whole different head design) and skirt w/5/0 or the pegged, sans skirt, 4/0.. but that period is on down the line...

Now try the above cast out and get stuck w/fluorocarbon and the frustration level for a Franciscan Monk would be escalated.

14. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Yes I’m a firm believer in the Mesu, because of Lew! The head design and the free floating hook allow for a truly weedless swim jig that doesn’t stick to the Vs in the pads. It comes through them with ease and rarely, if ever, gets hung up leading to wasted casts and scaring fish from pulling on every pad. It’s a buttery smooth swim jig.

The big 5/0 hook allows you to use either a 5” swimbait, Rage Craw, or whatever you like as a trailer. The ONLY thing I habe an issue with is the rubber band that holds the skirt on. My wife does a lot of crafting so she has this green coated wire that is thin..like 8lb mono thin. I take a 6” piece of the wire, twist it in and use a small pair of needle nose to twist it tight then slip off the ends. Problem solved.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

15. Member
    On that Mesu jig, are you guys using the 1/4oz or 1/2oz in the pads? All of my current swim jigs are 3/8oz. Just curious, I'm thinking about trying some of those mesu jigs.

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow4 View Post
    On that Mesu jig, are you guys using the 1/4oz or 1/2oz in the pads? All of my current swim jigs are 3/8oz. Just curious, I'm thinking about trying some of those mesu jigs.

I've got both sizes and like Casslaw typed, the only non-positive is the rubber band tie. I don't know if You can see the head design in the pics. I haven't had to throw out a Mesu™ but I do hit them w/a touch of SuperGlue™

Mesu™ also sells a naked set-up, the same head and hook but sans a skirt.

••• Important •••

When I do use the 1/2 in the pads, I use a side-arm cast as I was noticing the heavier weighted jig breaks right through the frond if an overhand cast is used, then the cast is 'fouled' (boo ) I use a 3" Ripper for the 1/4 or 5" if real windy and a 5" on the 1/2.

Shadow- I am such a believer in these jigs that IF You do purchase some and don't use them, I'll buy/trade You for Your remaining arsenal.

* I receive NO compensation from Mesu™

17. Banned
    ••• Also •••

Depending on which trailer You use... My Wife left a cutdown SwimSenko on Her jig and the Trokar™ hook they use got rusted.

The head allows the user to change the hooks if wanted/needed. I put these on:

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Haya...age-HFWHD.html

These are GREAT hooks and they have a coating and are HEAVY; actually they're heavy enough to get a real good wiggle on a weightless Fluke or Senko... TackleWhorehouse™ had them on the cheap...

18. Member
    Thanks for the info. Adding some to my next TW order.

19. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I stick to the 1/4 most of the time unless it’s just too windy for me to keep in touch with the jig. The 1/4 makes me work it slower, which is a big deal for me in this colder water. The 3/8ths does get down deeper and Lew, being the perfectionist he is, is very right about casting the 3/8.

I’ve been using a modified Rage Craw trailer when I’m in the thicker pads since the movement of the trailer is so good on the fall. If I’m throwing to a more sparse area I use a 4 or 5” paddletail swimbait style trailer because I like how it works on a steady, slow retrieve.

Like BassinJax, I've also been throwing swim jigs on fluro, and it's also the rod I use for skipping jigs (854C), so not sure about putting braid on that setup. Although the reality is, I'll be tossing a swim jig in vegetation a lot more often than skipping docks, so maybe I should.
    Last edited by 78Staff; 01-08-2019 at 07:52 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast