Thread: Swim Jig help

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow4 View Post
    LewStulePH.D. Funny thing is that I was using the Biospawn swimbait as a trailer. What color swim jig and trailer are you having the most success with? I was throwing shad colors but also have the bluegill colors as well.
    Perch Scum w/the Green Pumpkin Bio or SouthernBlue and the RageLobster

2. Member
    Lew got me on the Mesu's too. They work, and don't get stuck. Wish they had a few more colors, but Perch Scum works.....my favorite trailer has been a Gambler Burner Craw.

3. Member
    since we are talking about MESU JIGS........
    i ordered some about 6 or 8 months ago due to reading what lew was posting. I still havent used them. This thread did remind me I had them and I have a question now that I Just took one out the box.

folks that are using craw trailers. are yall biting some off or putting the whole bait on it?

what size swimbaits are yall using?
    Last edited by Jblanchard87; 01-10-2020 at 12:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jblanchard87 View Post
    i ordered some about 6 or 8 months ago due to reading what lew was posting. I still havent used them. This thread did remind me I had them and I have a question now that I Just took one out the box.

folks that are using craw trailers. are yall biting some off or putting the whole bait on it?

1/4 ounce in light cover and 3/8 or 1/2 ounce in heavy cover. I rig a full Z Craw JR, without biting any off.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

5. Member
    On the burner craw I do both...kinda depends on the jig, or chatterbait.
    If you really wanna make some commotion, the Keitech Crazy Flapper is a gem.

6. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Be careful with the Biospawn swimbait trailers. My “green” colors are so durable I’ve caught 17 fish on one trailer but anything with blue min it gets destroyed instantly!

The Blue colors (Electric Shad) won’t even stay on my Jackhammer when I throw it but the Green (Lab Magic) is incredibly durable!

Im glad the Mesu is working for you! Lew and Drew MADE me a swim jig fisherman no doubt! 7’6” med/hvy, 50lb 832 amd wait for your pole to load up before you set the hook! The hookset was my hardest thing to get right, but for me it’s the same as when I fish a soft swimbait.

My next swim jig will be the Snakeeyes swim jig, for more open water it looks like a winner.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

7. Banned

Remember if using the Mesu™ You can swap out that Trokar™ hook.. Don't type anyone else, but if You put one of these in a 3/0 :

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Haya...age-HFWHD.html

You can get by w/a real wee swimmer (match the hatch) There is also a coating on these hooks which provides an added heft.

These are available @TackleWhorehouse™ but I first ran into them at the re-opened Gander™ Any length is a winner. They are durable and they kick at the slowest of retrieves.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/BioSpawn_ExoSwim_Swimbait/descpage-BSESS.html

These swim too at a slow rate and are available locally at local shops and @Chinamart™. These are also great on a Redfish jighead.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Stri...age-SKSNS.html

These are real good for Flapping, and fit the Trokar™/Hayabusa™ These excel at 'dragging along the bottom' the design allows it to "pull through" all the crap

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Stri...age-SKRLB.html

I cut my Z-craw Jrs down by 3 or 4 segments. I basically want the "claws" to begin slightly out from the bend in the hook. Pretty easy to measure up on the jig of choice before cutting.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

9. Banned
    I'd add the Perch Scum/ Rage Bug combo that I mentioned earlier.

Unknown-2.jpeg

Unknown-3.jpeg

Doesn't do them justice, if time allows, I'll try and snap a couple pics manana

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LewStulePH.D. View Post

Unknown-2.jpeg

Unknown-3.jpeg

Which size Bio Spawn do you recommend for the 1/4 oz Mesu and what size would you recommend for something like a 1/4oz finesse Dirty Jig swim jig?

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jiggerjake View Post
    Which size Bio Spawn do you recommend for the 1/4 oz Mesu and what size would you recommend for something like a 1/4oz finesse Dirty Jig swim jig?

There are times when both are usable. Please allow me to try and explain. Down here, where there is a flux of growth all year-round, there is a certain part of the year where if You use the larger 4"+, the added weight and size is just too much weight and they will penetrate 'through' the frond. This is when just about any overhand cast will go through the frond. To me this is wasted energy; that is when the Mesu™ is just like any other jig and a 40' cast becomes a 34' cast and You're dipping the tip. When it is right, right, it doesn't matter, because as soon as You start bringing it in over the top it gets smoked..

I did use Dirty Jigs™ brand jigs when I was on my quest to find a jig that works in the Lily pads. The model that worked the best for me down here was the Finesse swimjig with the lighter weedguard. That is part of the reason the Mesu™ works so well in/through the Lily pads, it hasn't a weedguard to get fouled.

This of course all goes out the window down here if You get out after the State has squirted their poisons, then it is a "crapshoot" at best. If You're like the most of us, You 'most likely' already have a "winning combo" and don't need to buy anything. I only know this because it wasn't until I was "downsizing" and going through my baits when I noticed the StrikeKing™ Swim-N-Shiner, and then after watching it kick at a slow retrieve, it was a "keeper" Prior to using them, I was using a local company "Big Dawg Baits" <--- This guy used to make a swim bait that was the very best swim bait I've ever used. In the 'Houdini' He had a silver paint and when You stopped the retrieve, it would shimmer. They also had a scent where You had to triple bag it or else You'd throw up from the garlic stench. I had to go to the guy's house last time and felt intrusive..
    Last edited by LewStulePH.D.; 01-09-2020 at 08:02 PM.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LewStulePH.D. View Post

Unknown-2.jpeg

Unknown-3.jpeg

Latest Mesu™ -Thelioma Bumper

Photo on 1-15-20 at 12.46.jpg

Photo on 1-15-20 at 12.47.jpg

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234