Thread: Swim Jig help

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    Then when you git to the dock next to the pad field you kin skip it allllll the way under the dock.
    Not me! I’ve tried and can’t skip anything worth a darn! Try like hell though and the only time it works is when I’m NOT trying to.

Like I said earlier, I’ve been bass fishing in Florida since I could hold a pole and being 43, that’s a lot of time but I’ve only bought into the swim jig thing this year and I feel plain dumb that I was so hard headed for so long. They’re truly a great fish catching technique. You literally need 2-3 colors and 3 different tails imo. 1/4 oz is the perfect weight and a swimbait trailer, Rage Craw, and twin tail grub are the only 3 trailers I use.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

2. Scraps
    Always been unbelievable to me that they work so effectively. Don't know how many times years ago I'd flip a bank of docks with a jig, and when trolling between docks just left my jig over the side swimming through the water and got bit. Took 20yrs to put that together.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

3. Member
    The V in the pads are the worst. I hate that thing. i am not sure they they grow like that, seems to me they would just complete the circle.
    Im looking for various other swim jigs now.

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BassinJax View Post
    The V in the pads are the worst. I hate that thing. i am not sure they they grow like that, seems to me they would just complete the circle.
    Im looking for various other swim jigs now.

That is their Life Partner, the Water Lotus..

The lotus flower represents one symbol of fortune in Buddhism. It grows in muddy water, and it is this environment that gives forth the flower's first and most literal meaning: rising and blooming above the murk to achieve enlightenment. ... The third meaning refers to faithfulness.

Waterlily-GettyImages-881556804-5a55143f7bb2830037722710.jpg

images-1.jpeg

images-3.jpeg

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LewStulePH.D. View Post
    That is their Life Partner, the Water Lotus..

The lotus flower represents one symbol of fortune in Buddhism. It grows in muddy water, and it is this environment that gives forth the flower's first and most literal meaning: rising and blooming above the murk to achieve enlightenment. ... The third meaning refers to faithfulness.

Waterlily-GettyImages-881556804-5a55143f7bb2830037722710.jpg

images-1.jpeg

images-3.jpeg
    ^^^^ This right here is why we all need to tune in. Where else can you get this kind of in depth education

6. Member
    I've certainly got a new perspective.. utterly enlightened

I throw swim jigs on 7' St. Croix LTB Sweeper Spinnerbait rod and a Lew's Super Duty 8.0:1 reel spooled up with #25 Super Natural mono. Same setup I have for buzzbaits and large spinnerbaits. I haven't had any issues with line breakage, but I'm going to switch one over to braid to try it out this season. The MH Moderate Fast action rod has been excellent for throwing swim jigs. Load up well, and my hookups have been as good as I expected.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

8. Banned
    I got out yesterday for a couple of hours. I threw the Watermelon Purple Mesu and caught 2 swimming it through the pads w/a Missle D Bomb in "LoveBug"

I switched to a 1/2 w/a new unnamed as of yet bait and caught 3 horsing them out. Started out using a MH and must've hooked a LARGE Mudskipper and the rod just snapped like a twig, even got the small dog out of the console

9. Member
    When I first started using them I was loosing some fish until I made myself count to three while still reeling and this took care of that problem.

10. Banned
    [QUOTE=BassinJax;9918160]Seems like that is the only way I can catch fish on this particular body of water
    i am using 14# floro and a medium heavy rod and I知 sooooo under powered
    i am asking for recommendations for rod reel and the bet swim jig to get through
    lilly pads. Thanks in advance
    I知 going back out on Saturday to give it a second shot

Any updates?

The Bowfins locally have seemed to start to take a shine to the Mesu, either that or they're beating the Bass to the bait. I finally switched baits because I got tired of fiddling with them. One of the weirdest days I can recall?? This was Friday, today was too cold for this guy..

11. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    It’s odd you say that Lew because the bowfin have largely left mine alone but I don’t think I can pass a pickerel without getting their toothy mouths all over a swim jig! Last week one day I caught more pickerel than bass! It was a crappy day, I’ll admit that, but I caught 6 pickerel while the guy in the front was boating bass.

First time I cursed at my swim jig!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

12. Member
    Lews, dang you. Just cost me 54$ in swim jigs. Lol

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by weim hunter View Post
    Lews, dang you. Just cost me 54$ in swim jigs. Lol
    Wait until You see how well they fish. Nice and gentle through that 'V' if fishing pads..

As and added bonus---

I found a few of these hidden at the local tackle shop and put a floating worm on the end. The worm hasn't a name and isn't on the market yet, but is ultra durable, stinks like a $3.00 Hooker (inflation, used to be a $2.00 hooker; so bad the blind guy doffs His cap and says "Guten Tag, Frauleins.." a German and fellow Weimaraner owner )

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/MESU...e-MESURFB.html

Also: My 7 month old Female got on a point on a squirrel at the dog park and She didn't move for a good 4 min. She actually had to see Me 'wave Her off', not a muscle... And She hasn't peed in the boat since the A Hole from the State Fish&Game revved the airboat at us...
    Last edited by LewStulePH.D.; 02-17-2019 at 05:51 PM.

14. Scraps
    MESU shorts jigs.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

15. Member
    Nice. It's crazy how loud those airboats are. My weim is definitely the best hunting dog I've ever owned.

Wait until You see how well they fish. Nice and gentle through that 'V' if fishing pads..

As and added bonus---

I found a few of these hidden at the local tackle shop and put a floating worm on the end. The worm hasn't a name and isn't on the market yet, but is ultra durable, stinks like a $3.00 Hooker (inflation, used to be a $2.00 hooker; so bad the blind guy doffs His cap and says "Guten Tag, Frauleins.." a German and fellow Weimaraner owner )

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/MESU...e-MESURFB.html

Also: My 7 month old Female got on a point on a squirrel at the dog point and She didn't move for a good 4 min. She actually had to see Me 'wave Her off', not a muscle... And She hasn't peed in the boat since the A Hole from the State Fish&Game revved the airboat at us...

16. Member
    [QUOTE=LewStulePH.D.;10028036]
    Quote Originally Posted by BassinJax View Post
    Seems like that is the only way I can catch fish on this particular body of water
    i am using 14# floro and a medium heavy rod and I’m sooooo under powered
    i am asking for recommendations for rod reel and the bet swim jig to get through
    lilly pads. Thanks in advance
    I’m going back out on Saturday to give it a second shot

Any updates?

The Bowfins locally have seemed to start to take a shine to the Mesu, either that or they're beating the Bass to the bait. I finally switched baits because I got tired of fiddling with them. One of the weirdest days I can recall?? This was Friday, today was too cold for this guy..

Yes Sir!!
    been doing MUCH BETTER and I’m far more confident since my equipment shift. I’m using the 40 braid by powerpro, the new black stuff. My rod has a bit more give than before and my jig is 3/8oz. So I’m happier

17. Banned
    [QUOTE=BassinJax;10050642]

Yes Sir!!
    been doing MUCH BETTER and I’m far more confident since my equipment shift. I’m using the 40 braid by powerpro, the new black stuff. My rod has a bit more give than before and my jig is 3/8oz. So I’m happier

Thats great

Tight Lines

18. Member
    Had to come back to this thread and post a report.

I purchased the Mesu swim jig off of the recommendations on here. Used it for the 1st time yesterday (yeah, they've been riding around in my boat for the past year, lol). Anyway, the lake I fished yesterday was full of dying hydrilla... You know, all the little tiny strands of hydrilla floating everywhere that stick to everything rendering almost all baits useless because every cast comes back with dead hydrilla pieces stuck to your bait. I couldn't even keep a texas rigged worm clean. Digging through all my stuff, I ran across the Mesu swim jigs and figured it was a good time to give them a try. Rigged them up, and started casting. Not only was I getting bites, but this thing comes through everything so dang clean. Where as before I was cleaning my lures off with every cast, this thing was coming back clean 98% of the time. It also came through the pads great!

I have to admit, this is one weird looking swim jig, looks even weirder once you rig it up, but dang does it work! Just ordered a few more in different colors. This thing literally saved me a ton of frustration fishing yesterday, I only wish I would have tied it on sooner...

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow4 View Post
    I have to admit, this is one weird looking swim jig, looks even weirder once you rig it up, but dang does it work! Just ordered a few more in different colors. This thing literally saved me a ton of frustration fishing yesterday, I only wish I would have tied it on sooner...
    I'm glad it works for You too Once You get throwing them around the Lilypads, You'll be really impressed. With these jigs, using the following 3 trailers (tested) You won't have to 'dip the rod' when it gets stuck in the 'V' I am going to ASS/u/Me Your buying @TackleWhorehouse™?

For a swimbait trailer:

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/BioS...age-BSESS.html I found these originally at the new Gander™ now I get them @TackleWhorehouse™

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Stri...age-SKSNS.html These 2 will Kick at the slowest of speeds

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Stri...age-SKRLB.html These and the structure bug in 'Chameleon'

I also run a pipe cleaner over the rubber band ties; that way You can add scent and it won't gum the works

20. Member
    LewStulePH.D. Funny thing is that I was using the Biospawn swimbait as a trailer. What color swim jig and trailer are you having the most success with? I was throwing shad colors but also have the bluegill colors as well.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast