1st Trip to Guntersville

My son and I are planning our first trip to Guntersville the second week of march. We will be staying in Scottsboro so will start on that end of lake. We could use any recommendations for lures and what to expect.

Could use some recommendations on boat friendly Hotels in Scottsboro.
    Last edited by Bassman13; 01-03-2019 at 12:54 PM.

2. Member
    There are plenty of boat friendly motels on HWY 72 that parallels the lake/river in Scottsboro. Google and see what works for you.
    Lipsless cranks and swim baits would be my choices that time of year, maybe an A-Rig as well. Stay around the grass.
    Be sure to visit Scottsboro Tackle Company and Tackle Trap in Boaz, Al
    Safest place to launch is Jackson County Park or Goose Pond. Goose Pond is huge and where most of the major tourneys form that end go from.
    Good luck.

Pm sent...
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pantherdad View Post
    My son and I been last couple years at end of March. Haven’t caught a lot but son did get 7.3 last year on lucky craft 1.5 square bill. Made it all worth while. Went back in July and little s*** caught 7.13. Prolly going back this year. Been trying get him to go to chick but he loves it down there even though we don’t catch a lot. He will be 22 in March and I go where he wants. Spoiled brat. Lol
    Good for you, good for you...

5. Member
    My brothers and I are also heading down on March 9th. It will be our first trip there also. We have rented a house between Guntersville & Scottsdale for the week and decided to hire a local guide (Tim Chandlier) for the first day out, as no one in our group is familiar with the lake. Hope the weather cooperates.

6. Member
    Is the Mink creek ramp a safe ramp to put in at. Can you run from the main river to the ramp. Thanks

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MR 188 Elite View Post
    My brothers and I are also heading down on March 9th. It will be our first trip there also. We have rented a house between Guntersville & Scottsdale for the week and decided to hire a local guide (Tim Chandlier) for the first day out, as no one in our group is familiar with the lake. Hope the weather cooperates.
    You picked one of the best guides you could have. He is one of a few full time guides that doesn't tourney fish. Couldn't be a nicer guy as well. You will have a blast and if anyone is on fish, it will be him.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman13 View Post
    My son and I are planning our first trip to Guntersville the second week of march. We will be staying in Scottsboro so will start on that end of lake. We could use any recommendations for lures and what to expect.

Could use some recommendations on boat friendly Hotels in Scottsboro.
    The Quality Inn in Scottsboro is good and right next door to Ruby Tuesday and Gino’s pizza on the other side. I live at Goose Pond part time. PM me the trip gets closer. You are coming at a great time. Lipless cranks and A rigs will be catching fish. In shallow areas with grass throw the swim jig with a 3.5” cane thumper trailer. There will also be fish transitioning so fish the ledges.

9. Member
    Quality Inn is where we will be staying.

10. Member
    Good news. Talking to him on the phone he seems to be a real nice guy. We are going out with him on March 10th at 8 AM. Normally he goes out at 6 am but has to take his daughter to school that morning. We said "great". We can sleep in and eat a big breakfast that morning. Looking forward to fishing with him. Thanks

11. Member
    I think you guys are making thebest decision going with a guide at first. Guntersville can be overwhelming and tough at times for sure.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixon-Dan View Post
    Is the Mink creek ramp a safe ramp to put in at. Can you run from the main river to the ramp. Thanks
    Yes you can run to main lake
    You can even drop trolling motor and start fishing
    Having said that. That ramp is sorta secluded off the road.
    I have never launched there just took a boat out there once. It gets plenty of traffic so i would think its safe. But luke i said it is a little secluded. Unless there is a big tournament going out of goosepond i would launch there.

13. Member
    Always avoid Comer Bridge.

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by printman71 View Post
    Always avoid Comer Bridge.
    Has this gotten bad? I used this ramp for many years without issue. I had planned on coming that way this spring.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheatpower View Post
    Has this gotten bad? I used this ramp for many years without issue. I had planned on coming that way this spring.
    I have never had a vandalism issue there, but have picked up 2 nails in trailer tires causing 2 flats in the last couple of years.

16. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    I launched at Mink Creek Ramp my 1st time there last Oct. It's a real good one boat ramp with a nice dock to tie to while you park.
    It's also in a good general location for both Sauty Creeks & Goose pond. I did run it a little once I got familiar with the water, but it's not a long distance to river if you want to take it easy at first. Caught a lot of fish on an A Rig around bridges in creeks. Had to weed thru the white bass, to get largies, but a ton of fun. Good luck!

17. Member
    We are going to stay in Scottsboro and lunch first day near there.

18. Member
    Yes, I Use It All The Time And Yes You Have Easy Access To The Main Channel.

19. Member
    Check out www.BassinBigG.com to see location of tournaments if you want to avoid launching at one of those places. Also, if you are going to be fishing for several days consider signing up for the BassCashBash (www.BassCashBash.com) so you don't become 'that guy' that catches a $1000 tagged fish, or a boat, or truck tag and wasn't signed up.

20. Banned
    Be prepared to fish in a crowd. Spring is busy on that pond.