Thread: What to get?

What to get?

Switching from Lowrance but really having a hard time understanding the differences in the various units.

7612xsv vs 1242sxv Touch. What is difference?

Panoptix - LiveScope. There is also liveVu down and forward. All seem to be different products.

transducers? Which one?

Thanks for any help

2. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Someone with more knowledge can give more info but i think the main difference is that the 7612 has dual transducer ports while the 1242 only a single. See link below comparing the two on website.

Panoptix is the name for the all-seeing sonar....there are several Panoptix transducers which in general all do pretty the same with exception of some features....the "forward" is giving you a look ahead and "down" is giving you a look downward. Live Scope is the lastest panoptix that give you the "life like" picture below the water.....in my mind the older panoptix images gives sonar in realtime, while Livescope gives you, imaging in realtime. Thats how i'd explain it.

Transducers: depends how you want a setup. They have all-in-one transducers (sonar/side/down) or combinations setups where you install a 2d shoot thru and then put a image only ducer on the outside. The Ultra High Def system is their "mega"......

One side note, their down imaging used to be called "Down Vu" but it has changed to "Clear Vu" so if you see that or someone reference it by that name, that's what it means.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/cata...Product=619824
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

3. Member
    Good job Jeremy. I think you said it better than I could have.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

4. Member
    When you look at the comparison chart, the 1242 does not have the ability to share sonar or supplemental maps.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by InseineFishing View Post
    When you look at the comparison chart, the 1242 does not have the ability to share sonar or supplemental maps.
    Then the chart is wrong. I have one. Shares sonar, Panoptix, LiveScope, waypoints, maps, GXM53, GFS10, Steadycast, etc with other GPSMAP units. I've used it on a network with 7610 and 942. Most shares through ethernet, but some via NMEA.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

6. Member
    Can you run the PS22 and the LVS32 on a 1242?

7. Member
    Yes. And at the same time.

Do you use side and down imaging? Or do you plan to use the Livescope for that?

9. Member
    Not sure your question was meant for me. I do use side and down imaging. It's on the boat. No reason not to show it. GT51 this time of year. 455 shallow, 260 deep.

Was talking to the OP. Going from Lowrance to Garmin, he will be very disappointed if he regularly uses those screens

11. Member
    I plan on using LiveScope. At console I would intend on using sides an and downscan.

Hello Gentlemen, I'm considering purchasing the 7612xsv unit along with the Panoptix LiveScope. This will be my first time using Garmin products and I've been searching/researching all over the internet and came across this thread. My question in addition to OP, I'm going to be creating my own maps of several lakes I fish and wondering which transducer will best fill this need with the 7612xsv, or will the Panoptix LiveScope be capable of fulfilling all transducer requirements? Any guidance will be greatly appreciated!

13. Member
    The best transducer for making your own maps is the Panoptix PS30. It's around $1,500. I don't do Quickdraw any more since Garmin has now mapped my lake. Quickdraw can make use of most any transducer to create maps. The PS30 allows faster boat speed, a larger coverage area per pass and more accurate results.

An alternative is to add the GT15-GT30 for 2d, side and down imaging. It's a great sonar combination and will do Quickdraw quite well.

I've not used the LiveScope to make maps. Someone who has might comment.

Todd consulted with engineers about it. Here's the link.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=951266
    Last edited by LWINCHESTER2; 01-12-2019 at 04:55 AM.

Thank you for the great link and awesome feedback & help, you're helping me get my brain around Garmin options. Very much appreciated!