Thread: BGE

BGE

One thing I like very much about them, it uses very little charcoal.
    Granted ive only used mine 3x, but I'm impressed.

They're very efficient. I have a gasket that needs to be replaced as soon as it warms up a bit. That little bit of air sneaking out makes a difference.

3. Member
    I have a Big Steel Keg instead of the Egg. I have done a 14 hour brisket cook and still had fuel left.

4. Member
    I cook on mine an average of 4 days a week. I have had it for 6 years now. The upper gasket finally gave loose...and the bottom cast iron plate finally melted away. I have had several gas grills before the egg and some that were quite pricey...they all lasted only lasted a few years...the egg is awesome! I cook pizza, bake cornbread, mac and cheese,twice baked potatoes, pineapple strudel, cook vegetables (corn is my favorite), smoke all kinds of meats, bbq, prime rib roasts, and seared steaks...etc etc. etc.

5. Member
    edw, what do you use for cooking pizza? My platesetter broke & I picked up a cast iron replacement, but I wouldn't use it for a pizza.
    Last edited by Buckeye492; 02-18-2019 at 11:40 AM.

6. Member
    Plate setter with legs up, stainless grill grate on top, pizza stone on top of the grate...approximately 425 degrees...rotate with pizza paddle often for even cook...My favorite "never fail" crust is Stonefire Artisan Stone Crust pizza crust...I gave up trying to make my own...and that's when we started to "really" enjoy our pizza "every" time. Precooking fresh vegetables such as green peppers and mushrooms helps too...so that you don't end up burning the crust before the veggies are cooked enough...onions and tomatoes work either way it seems...grate your own fresh bought but frozen and almost thawed mozzarella cheese in block form (refrigerated mozzarella cheese is hard to hand grate without clogging and clumping and spread evenly... do not try to use fresh mozzarella balls or drops as they do not melt enough by the time the crust is done... hope this helps!

7. Member
    That answers everything I needed to know. I am looking forward to trying this.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by edw View Post
    Plate setter with legs up, stainless grill grate on top, pizza stone on top of the grate...approximately 425 degrees...rotate with pizza paddle often for even cook...My favorite "never fail" crust is Stonefire Artisan Stone Crust pizza crust...I gave up trying to make my own...and that's when we started to "really" enjoy our pizza "every" time. Precooking fresh vegetables such as green peppers and mushrooms helps too...so that you don't end up burning the crust before the veggies are cooked enough...onions and tomatoes work either way it seems...grate your own fresh bought but frozen and almost thawed mozzarella cheese in block form (refrigerated mozzarella cheese is hard to hand grate without clogging and clumping and spread evenly... do not try to use fresh mozzarella balls or drops as they do not melt enough by the time the crust is done... hope this helps!
    I buy mine too from a local bakery. Easier and in 1lb balls

9. Member
    I'll add that when I make pizzas, I put the platesetter in legs down with the grate on top, then I put 2 foil wrapped bricks on top, and the pizza stone on top of them to get it higher in the dome.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassakwards View Post
    I'll add that when I make pizzas, I put the platesetter in legs down with the grate on top, then I put 2 foil wrapped bricks on top, and the pizza stone on top of them to get it higher in the dome.
    That’s what I do, but I use fire brick. Since its just the two of us, we buy an uncooked pizza from a local Italian restaraunt and throw on the XL at 550. 8 minutes and its done.

11. Member
    For pizza, plate setter legs down, place crust directly on the flat side.