Starting To Go To Church

I have not been to a regular church service (Sunday, Christmas, etc.) since 1996. Before that it was 1980. I have been to churches for funerals, weddings, etc. during that time. I have always been a believer but not a church goer.

I have always said that if I found a non denominational bible church that I liked, I would start attending. I found it. My wife and I have been attending just such a church for the last couple of months. I have really enjoyed the Sunday morning services and I have a feeling that is hard to describe when I'm there. I actually look forward to going every week.

It is a very casual atmosphere and even the pastor(s) wear jeans. They have a band with singers that do excellent songs, so different from the hymns of what I remember from the "old" church days. There are over 700 people that attend the two services every Sunday. Many are people that came from Catholic, Lutheran or Reformed churches which are very common in the area that I live. In speaking with some of them, they said that they had grown tired of their previously chosen religions and prefer the non denominational aspect. Many others are people like me, who just didn't have interest in the "established religions".

I don't see myself losing my potty mouth, being less judgmental or becoming an elder any time soon, but I think that I can officially say that my faith has become much stronger these last couple months and I am enjoying it.

Many have grown tired of the bureaucratic nonsense that is a part of many of the established denominations. When I was growing up, I went to a United Church of Christ, which was only very loosely associated with the national organization. We hired our own minister and conducted our own business. Then, during college, grad school, and my early working years, I got away from going on a weekly basis. After my Dad was killed by a careless driver in 1999, I took my Mom to church every week. Good thing I did, as our teenage son gave us a ton of headaches over the next two years that I could not have gotten through without my faith. (BTW, he's fine now...college grad, great job making more than I ever did. But, I wouldn't want to go through those 2 years again...and I suspect neither would he!)

A few years before my dad died, he and my Mom began going to a local Methodist church...the one where his parents and aunt had gone for many, many years, where they were married, and where I was baptized. I severed on the administrative board there for several years. I was not accustomed to dealing with the Methodist bureaucracy. Lots of nonsense and I had to bite my tongue on many occasions, so as to not offend. Luckily, this is a very small church with less than 50 people attended weekly. We do what we have to with the Methodist bureaucracy...otherwise we run a pretty independent operation. If it were any other way, I'd be looking for another church. I don't suffer fools and bureaucrats easily!
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

3. Member
    "Where any two are gathered in my so shall I be....". The sign on the post outside is not what matters, it's what happens on the inside that counts. Both physically and spiritually. Religion is man made w/ many customs and ceremonies. Spiritually is God given. Christ never taught such doctrines. I truly believe that the Church is the finest organization ever know to man kind, but like all things looses effectiveness w/ size! Murph, you are seeking as we all are. That is the only way to find what we are looking for. Peace of mind, serenity and an understanding of where we fit in. It's OK to ask such things..... I did to and I too am enjoying it!

Hebrews 10:24-25

24 And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, 25 not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack

5. Member
    bbbill-
    The same can be said about individuals. It is never about the label or banner. It is always about the heart.

Psalm 51:

Create in me a pure heart, O God,
    and renew a steadfast spirit within me...

17 My sacrifice, O God, is[b] a broken spirit;
    a broken and contrite heart
    you, God, will not despise.
    Last edited by msethsmile; 01-04-2019 at 08:38 AM.

6. Member
    BTW, only the Gospel (written/spoken) has the power to change man's heart. Repentance means the heart doing a 180 degree turn; from an enemy of God to a friend of God (Eph 2:1 ff). Only the Gospel can build the Church. Looking for the Church? It is found where the Gospel is explicitly and clearly proclaimed. The Church (the Communion of Saints, the Holy Christian Church, the Bride of Christ) can never be defeated. God stands by her.

Psalm 46--

God is within her, she will not fall;
    God will help her at break of day.

The Lord Almighty* is with us;
    the God of Jacob is our fortress.

Christ's relationship to His bride, the Church, is man's example for his relationship with his wife. What did Christ do for the Church? He died for her. I have a long, long way to go.

On the other hand, any church based on counterfeit gospel will eventually fail. Why? Because God is not with that church. Be careful in choosing a church--for you and for your generations that follow.

*can be translated, "Lord of Armies".
    Last edited by msethsmile; 01-07-2019 at 08:59 AM.