Manual jack plate adjustment?

So I have the 6” manual jack plate with my new Mercury 150 ProXS. My buddy noticed that my exhaust was right at the waterline surface when my engine is trimmed in the full down position. He said the exhaust should not be that low or close to the water where it bubbles. Is this correct? If not, how high above the water line should my exhaust port be when the motor is completely down?
    thanks for any input on this.

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

3. Moderator Vexus Boats sclark's Avatar
    Exhaust - you mean the exhaust coming out of the center of the prop ?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sclark View Post
    Exhaust - you mean the exhaust coming out of the center of the prop ?
    No,not out of the prop. Maybe it’s not the exhaust but it certainly sound like it. It’s about half way up the back of the motor, right below the release handle for the cowling. There is a hole about 1” día that sits at the water level and creates loud bubbling

5. Member
    If the hole at the back of the engine is not at least this high, contact the engine manufacture. They probably cut your hole out in the wrong location.

Easy fix.

http://gariebeach.com/product_images...GRB__90212.jpg

6. Member
    The motor height isn't set based on the exhaust idle releif port. In the manual it says to trim up the motor so the port is above the water when idling the motor.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SMChamp View Post
    If the hole at the back of the engine is not at least this high, contact the engine manufacture. They probably cut your hole out in the wrong location.

Easy fix.

http://gariebeach.com/product_images...GRB__90212.jpg
    it appears to be in a similar location as your pictures. What is the hole for? Mine has what looks like a rubber grommet around it as well. I tried to post a picture but it won’t accept it due to the size. Trying to figure out how to resize to get it to load. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Desertdog619 View Post
    I tried to post a picture but it won’t accept it due to the size. Trying to figure out how to resize to get it to load. Lol
    We got a thread for that:

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=951512

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

Set Prop to Pad according to performance (i.e. raise until you loose water psi, speed, or lift... then go back down 1/8"-1/4")

Exhaust relief hole should not factor into engine height, if it is below the water line at idle (when at the best height for optimal performance) simply trim up until it is out of water. Lower engine down once idling in gear to the lowest trim before holeshot.
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J Risco View Post
    Set Prop to Pad according to performance (i.e. raise until you loose water psi, speed, or lift... then go back down 1/8"-1/4")

Exhaust relief hole should not factor into engine height, if it is below the water line at idle (when at the best height for optimal performance) simply trim up until it is out of water. Lower engine down once idling in gear to the lowest trim before holeshot.
    Thanks. So it’s called an exhaust relief hole? It’s not below the water line when engine is trimmed in full down position and idling in gear. Although, its close enough to the water line to cause bubbling noise. I just wasn’t sure if that was normal. Never heard of an exhaust relief hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Desertdog619 View Post
    Thanks. So it’s called an exhaust relief hole? It’s not below the water line when engine is trimmed in full down position and idling in gear. Although, its close enough to the water line to cause bubbling noise. I just wasn’t sure if that was normal. Never heard of an exhaust relief hole.
    Im sure it has a fancy term/name, but that is just what I always called it. Yours sounds like its just fine.
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

J Risco is dead on !!
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com