Marking Jerkbaits by "Slow Sinking", Suspending and etc

Anyone ever marked their Jerkbaits by a colored "Dot" system or similar? I have a bunch of Jerkbaits and want to go through them and mark them whether they are a slow sinking, floating, suspending etc, using nail polish and painting the specific color on the bill, coinciding with whatever the Jerkbait is. Any thoughts?

Magic marker, 1 dot for sinking, 2 for suspending, 3 for floating. Or just write it on the side.

3. Member
    I mark all my storage boxes with what's inside them, IE top water, 1'~3', 4'~8', 12'~15', floating, sinking, etc.
    Then pray my WIFE puts them all back where they belong when she's putting stuff away!
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

4. Member
    The problem with that is the difference between "Slow Sink" and "Suspend" is only a few degrees water temperature.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Danbleume View Post
    The problem with that is the difference between "Slow Sink" and "Suspend" is only a few degrees water temperature.
    Exactly, not sure how you would be able to do this with ever changing water temp

I’ve using an ultra fine tip sharpie and writing an “F” on the bill for floating, “S” for suspending, and “$” for sinking (thinking it looks like “Si”). Agree that marking them in finer increments like slow sinking could be problematic due to water temps changing how they perform, but dots are probably easier than my system so that’s a good thought!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buggs247 View Post
    Exactly, not sure how you would be able to do this with ever changing water temp
    When I play with setting up my jerk baits, I fill the sink, adjust the temp to 48 degree's, let them set in it till they are a consistent temp. You can then use either lead wire/tape and adjust them to suspend, I prefer slightly nose up. This at least gives me an idea how they will react, and they are all fairly consistent in action.

8. Member
    I write it very small on the bait itself if it doesn’t have it printed on it already.
    Red Sox in 6!

9. Member
    You've got too many jerkbaits in your box... carry a dozen and learn how each works.

oe

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OkobojiEagle View Post
    You've got too many jerkbaits in your box... carry a dozen and learn how each works.

oe
    Heheheeeee... You've been looking at my boxes! Have at least 1 of each, (sinking, suspending) in the boat at all times.

Then again, I took everything out of the boat back late spring because I knew I wouldn't be fishing all summer due to another back surgery. When the 12 weeks were up and I could go again, I hauled everything out to the garage and spread it out. Counted something like 350 crank baits/hard baits before I lost count. I'm thinking it's around 370 though. (Although 2 more coming via FedEx today I hope.)
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

11. Member
    I just write the max depth on the bottom of the bait just in front of the front hook. If it's suspending, I add an S. That's it. The only floating baits I have are Rapala's and they are in 2 compartments of my jerkbait box.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Milehibird View Post
    I just write the max depth on the bottom of the bait just in front of the front hook. If it's suspending, I add an S. That's it. The only floating baits I have are Rapala's and they are in 2 compartments of my jerkbait box.
    I'm glad that somebody else does that! Except I'll put the range on them. Say 1-3, 4-6, 6-10 etc.

Generally don't separate them by manufacturer, just depth and type. (Like squarebills are all in their own boxes.) Do keep the Duo Realis spy baits all together, the Megabass jerks, as well as Livingston Lures.
    Later,

Dixie Chicken