USA VENTS FANS on Z-19

Good afternnon all! For those of you who have the vent fan option for your forward lockers......

1. When do you actually run them?

2. When you run them, how long do u run them for?

This is my first boat that has them and want to utilize the best way. thanks!

2. Member
    I am also interested in feedback on this option. Is it worth adding?

3. Member
    I have the fan on mine and have never used or honestly paid much attention to it. I assume it's purpose is to help dry things out, like wet rods or wet storage boxes. I'm not sure how it works or even if it dries the entire rod/storage boxes or just the center one where it is located. If I have a wet storage box I just leave the lid open which is rare because I generally don't fish in wet weather. Sorry, not much help but if I had ordered the boat it wouldn't be on it.
    Jim
    2023 Triton 19 TRX Patriot, gunmetal/carbon mist/silver mist, 225 Merc Pro XS, SN 3B265119

It is designed to pull air into each rod box and then through vents that pulls the air into the center box, and blows the air into the bilge or boat hull. So to make it work right you need to crack open each rod box and the back bilge lid as well. But this is only needed if you get the compartments wet, which I did not have that problem on my Z19, never used it, but if you ever do get them wet it will be a good addition to have imo.
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

5. Member
    Thanks, I asked because I left a couple rods in the boat, which was outside under the cover and I took cover to clean boat out prior to moving to storage and I had a little bit of mold starting top develop on cork and reel jands and one life jacket.....I beleive I caught it all intime, I wiped down with Lysol wipes and stored gear all in garage and it all seems fine after a couple days. Boat didnt get wet prior to storage, I just think it is condensation

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VBGUNNER View Post
    Thanks, I asked because I left a couple rods in the boat, which was outside under the cover and I took cover to clean boat out prior to moving to storage and I had a little bit of mold starting top develop on cork and reel jands and one life jacket.....I beleive I caught it all intime, I wiped down with Lysol wipes and stored gear all in garage and it all seems fine after a couple days. Boat didnt get wet prior to storage, I just think it is condensation
    Same thing happened to about twenty rods of mine when I brought it in for warranty work. 30 days of inside and out moisture buildup inside the boat rod locker while being repaired. It created a heavy amount of mold on my rod which i cleaned off with clorox wipes. I am unsure how vents would prevent this seems how Im not going to let them run for multiple days and I doubt those little fans dry those lockers up 100% for the amount of time you run them. Buddy had him in his skeeter and I don't think he noticed any difference having the fans. Boats get wet, I don't see how these fans are really that beneficial.

I dont really use mine either. Just have not had the need. Always open them up after wet days.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

8. Member
    I have one in my boat and never use it. The vent fan is a good idea on paper but I dont feel it really accomplishes much of what its supposed to. Yes it does move some air in the compartments, but not enough to really make a difference when you have a significant amount of moisture. If you leave it running, then you better have your boat plugged in or you will end up with a dead cranking battery. I have found the best thing to do is leave your lids partially open if you can, even when you have the cover on it. If you have a indoor place, leave them wide open until all is dry. Times when I have fished in heavy rain, I open everything up, take anything that may be prone to mold out of the boat and then put a shop fan blowing into the interior of the boat. You may have to re-position the fan until you get everything dry.

Another thing you can do, if you have to leave the boat outdoors and have access to power is by a boat dehumidifier/air dryer to put in under your cover. I do this with my ski boat and I have yet to have any mold issues. https://www.overtons.com/product/det...Dryer&i=314963