Thread: hiking boots

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

hiking boots

Im a fat guy that loves hikinh etc--BUT I have 14-15 sized feet--which REALLY sucks when it comes to selection--
    my Keen targhee's feel like basketball high tops--not true hikers
    I want a hiker that can be resoled--like the 'old skool' hikers--

GORETEX-am I the only one that thinks this may be too hot in the SUMMER--had a pair one time and took a 12 mile trail stroll and though tmy feet were in Hades and actually poured the sweat pout of my boots-what say yall?

2. Member
    Merrell makes good hiking boots I would check them out good quality.

3. Member
    My Danner boots are Gore-Tex lined and are not to hot in the summer and they can be resoled.

4. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    +1 Merrill

I just picked up a pair of the Merrell Moab 2 in Gore Tex for fishing purposes. I haven't got to try them out on the front deck in the rain, but I've wore them to work a few times and messing around outside and they are very comfortable with plenty of grip.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

6. Member
    I do alot of hiking...I started out with what I was used to in the military...Heavy soled, full leather boots...I found out quickly that wasn't the hot setup...Now I do all my hiking in trail runners...Since I made the switch my miles have increased and the blisters are pretty much a non issue..Between switching to trail runners and lightening my kit weight I really enjoy doing the long miles now..
    People will talk about ankle support...Well my ankles have been hammered and I notice no difference in stability between trail runners and hiking boots ...
    I think you will be disappointed if you go to a full leather boot with heavy soles...Everyone is different though but just giving my opinion and experience from what I have seen others suffer with on the trail..
    For boots I like Vasque and Salomon...Merrils hurt my feet.
    Not a big fan of Goretex for long, multi day hikes..If it's raining or wet it is just a matter of time before your feet get wet ..Goretex lined boots take forever to dry out...
    No matter what you decide to go with go to an outfitter and try the boots on.....I have actually had boots the same manufacturer, model and size fit differently..
    I hope to get down your way soon..Want to hit Springer Mountain and the first 100 miles or so of the AT..
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

7. Member
    Here's my opinion on hiking shoes/boots ...

1) Socks, they count more than the footwear, period.
    They must FIT well. Yes, socks that actually fit.
    Highly consider wool, the expensive stuff. $20/pair.

2) GORE-TEX is great, but it's definitely hot.
    But there's no replacement when it's wet and/or cold.
    I'm into really light/thin hikers in the warmer times.
    Look at Altra and Saucony trail running shoes.

3) I don't want my shoes resoled, they are dead.
    I've not only worn out the bottom, but the support.
    Plus they are filthy animals, or worse, at that point.
    Hike that much?? It's like fishing, go spend more.

Hope this helps. Glad to see other hiking folks here.

8. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    Here's my opinion on hiking shoes/boots ...

1) Socks, they count more than the footwear, period.
    They must FIT well. Yes, socks that actually fit.
    Highly consider wool, the expensive stuff. $20/pair.

2) GORE-TEX is great, but it's definitely hot.
    But there's no replacement when it's wet and/or cold.
    I'm into really light/thin hikers in the warmer times.
    Look at Altra and Saucony trail running shoes.

3) I don't want my shoes resoled, they are dead.
    I've not only worn out the bottom, but the support.
    Plus they are filthy animals, or worse, at that point.
    Hike that much?? It's like fishing, go spend more.

Hope this helps. Glad to see other hiking folks here.
    ^Exactly

I’ll add that a custom or semi-custom insole can be a good addition.

I do a lot of hiking in rocky areas so tend to wear rhe soles out before the uppers, so I just wear the old ones as fishing and knocking around shoes.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

9. Member
    Merril and Columbia. These are the ones I like. Everyone will have different opinions.
    Praying for a Cure

10. Member
    I wear the smart wool brand of socks for hiking and out bank fishing. Great socks that fit well with a bit of stretch and last forever.....
    1994 Ranger 492VS
    2004 Optimax 225 - 0T920364
    6" Hydro Dynamics Manual Jack Plate
    24p Fury 4
    24v 47" Lowrance Ghost / Lowrance HDS

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadows View Post
    I just picked up a pair of the Merrell Moab 2 in Gore Tex for fishing purposes. I haven't got to try them out on the front deck in the rain, but I've wore them to work a few times and messing around outside and they are very comfortable with plenty of grip.
    I think you'll like the MOAB 2's a lot. They have become my every day shoes in cool weather down here. With good wool socks, your feet will stay plenty warm and not sweat too much. Don't do any real hiking, just walking around the 'hood, so can't comment on that end.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunna View Post
    Merrell makes good hiking boots I would check them out good quality.
    +1.

The good thing about not having goretex is the inner part of the boot dries out fast. The sucky part is the increased moisture causes blisters. If you can swing it, look into Lowa. A lot more expensive but last longer
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

13. Member
    Get Merino wool socks.
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brnzbaklvr View Post
    I do alot of hiking...I started out with what I was used to in the military...Heavy soled, full leather boots...I found out quickly that wasn't the hot setup...Now I do all my hiking in trail runners...Since I made the switch my miles have increased and the blisters are pretty much a non issue..Between switching to trail runners and lightening my kit weight I really enjoy doing the long miles now..
    People will talk about ankle support...Well my ankles have been hammered and I notice no difference in stability between trail runners and hiking boots ...
    I think you will be disappointed if you go to a full leather boot with heavy soles...Everyone is different though but just giving my opinion and experience from what I have seen others suffer with on the trail..
    For boots I like Vasque and Salomon...Merrils hurt my feet.
    Not a big fan of Goretex for long, multi day hikes..If it's raining or wet it is just a matter of time before your feet get wet ..Goretex lined boots take forever to dry out...
    No matter what you decide to go with go to an outfitter and try the boots on.....I have actually had boots the same manufacturer, model and size fit differently..
    I hope to get down your way soon..Want to hit Springer Mountain and the first 100 miles or so of the AT..
    I had the same situation with them, make my knees hurt too.

15. Scraps
    I have a pair of Oboz that i'm really liking. They're similar to the older Merrell's that had the thick, lug soles. The pair I have are waterproof, B-dry which I guess is just oboz gore-tex, they're warm, I think. Don't wear them in the summer. Might wanna checkout like Red Wing or Irish Setter. Might find something that can be resoled.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

16. Member
    I wasted money on Merrell Moabs waterproof hikers. They leaked after a year of use. They are horrible on wet surfaces with any incline, no grip. Very comfortable though.

Vasque makes a great hiking boot. Much better than Merrell's.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QUAKEnSHAKE View Post
    I wasted money on Merrell Moabs waterproof hikers. They leaked after a year of use. They are horrible on wet surfaces with any incline, no grip. Very comfortable though.
    I’ve not had an issue with leaking, but I wear the Merrill GORE-TEX versions.
    Hard wet surfaces are a sure bet to wipe out, second it. Just have to be aware.
    But they grab anything else and don’t wear out as quickly .. one or the other.

19. Member
    FWIW, North Face makes a few offerings that may interest you.
    Look for a soft soled shoe, strong eyelets, mesh upper, etc.
    Hard bottomed hikers will destroy your feet in very short order.

20. Member
    I have a fair amount of experience with everything your looking at. For the past 20 years, I have walked 9-15 miles a day at work so I have made it a priority to take care of my feet. I get 3 maybe 3.5 months out of a pair of shoes. After that, they have lost there sole and there support. I would never consider re-soleing a shoe. Spend that money on a new pair. Your feet will feel better.
    My feet get hotter than normal, and it drives my choice of shoes and socks.

1. I hate smart wool or merino wool socks. They are just about all the same. They make my feet incredibly hot, and there wicking properties do not work as well when my feet start to sweat.
    2. I hate thick socks. They make my feet wet (part of the problem with wool)
    3. I like thin socks. "SmartWick" socks are the absolute best brand I have found. SmartWick Vibe is the style i prefer. It is not their thinnest sock, but it is far from thick.
    4. Shoes. I am a little surprised you don't like the Keen Targhee's . It is my all time favorite. You will find the tennis shoe version is a lot cooler than the hiking boot. These shoes seem to have more room in the front of them than north face and merril. I have used Merrils a lot, but to me they are a lot hotter than the Keen's. I could not get a pair of NorthFace to last over 6 weeks, but they were comfortable. Salamons fit to tight for me to walk in a lot.
    5. Altra. After an incredible 2 year fight with raging Plantar Fascitis, I discovered Altras. These are far and away the coolest and most comfortable shoes I have ever worn. They are a tennis shoe and not a hiking boot, but they do offer a waterproof trail version in the LonePeak 4.0. They look stupid at first because the toe box is so big, but that is what makes the shoe so cool. It is a lot of room for your feet to breathe. There are 3 choices
    Altra Olympus (if plantar fascia is an issue)
    Altra Temp (Trail Tennis shoe not waterproof)
    Altra LonePEak 4.0 (waterproof version)

Good Luck!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast