Banned

Coosa river in mid march

Hey guys, I'm up here in NC and am thinking of making a trip to Alabama in mid March to possibly fish a coosa river lake for those spots. I've read about all of the lakes on the chain but just curious as to which lakes y'all would suggest for that time of the year for big fish and for numbers? I would like to catch a giant spot as we don't get many over 4 up here. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

2. U.S. Air Force Retired Alinal's Avatar
    PM sent.
    2017 Ranger Z518
    2017 Mercury 150 Opti ProXS
    Maxxum 80#
    Humminbird Helix(s)

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Alinal View Post
    PM sent.
    Got it and replied. Thank you sir.

Neely Henry for an Alabama lake. Also Carters or Chatuge are slightly closer to you with good spots.
    Last edited by 06 SB; 01-02-2019 at 11:37 PM.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    Neely Henry for an Alabama lake. Also Carters or Chatuge are slightly closer to with good spots.
    This for sure. Chatuge has more numbers with some large ones. A 5 pound spot from Carter's is not out of the question. I fish both regularly.

6. Dogfish_Jones
    I've caught most of my larger spots on Lay Lake, in and around the middle section.( Beeswax Ramp location)
    Neely Henry would be my second choice. This lake is hit or miss for me but you can do some nice deep ledge fishing there for them.
    Logan Martin, well....you can catch more there but generally not the big ones.
    South of Lay Lake on the Coosa chain , I really can't give you a true report , I rarely fish the chain south of Lay. The other Coosa lake north is Weiss Lake, I prefer to keep my lower unit on my boat....meaning you may end up hitting a lot of stumps, trees, sand bars.
    Of course you can try Guntersville, you may even end up with a nice Largemouth there. ( Not on the Coosa River chain)

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by printman71 View Post
    This for sure. Chatuge has more numbers with some large ones. A 5 pound spot from Carter's is not out of the question. I fish both regularly.
    I've fished both although not extensively and play to fish both again in the future. I prefer the big pond just north of those 2 lakes..... Fontana. While most hate it I have found it to he a gem and it has some grown smallies, spots and largies in it. I really like what I've read and seen of lay lake as well as the lake below it. Any seasonal patterns that the spots would be on in either Neely Henry or lay lake in mid March? Is the water typically dirty or clean in the early spring? Up here if I can find dirty water on our lakes that have spots it is usually lights out, with a small crank bait, be it they may not be big. Up here in mid March I am typically throwing a wacky rig around piers for spots on lake Norman of the water is clear.

8. Member
    What Dogfish said with the addition of lake levels during March -

Neely should be about a foot low. I catch more LM there but it could be just me.
    Logan will be about 5 feet below full-pool unless it rains, a lot, and then it could be 12 feet over full-pool. Full of spots, likely some healthy ones in March, but you'll have to wade through some smalls.
    Lay isn't a flood control lake so it generally stays full-pool all year. Fish the upper end toward Logan Martin dam during power generation time. Pretty much all spots.
    Mitchell is below Lay and stays at or near full-pool year round as well. I haven't caught as many fish there as I have on Logan and Lay but, I think, it's the most scenic lake of any in the chain. Not sure pretty matters though.

9. Banned
    Thank you all for the great input. I really like the way Lake Mitchell sounds. Anyone know of a good place to stay in that area that is boat friendly?

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    Neely Henry for an Alabama lake. Also Carters or Chatuge are slightly closer to you with good spots.
    There are NO spots in Neely Henry especially that time of year!
    1997 STRATOS 285 PE EVINRUDE INTRUDER 175

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drake322 View Post
    Keeping them for yourself I see!

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by printman71 View Post
    Keeping them for yourself I see!
    I wish. I do know a guy who pulled a #6 12oz last year. Good fish!
    1997 STRATOS 285 PE EVINRUDE INTRUDER 175

13. Netman extraordinaire Coosa Redeye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drake322 View Post
    Same holds true for Weiss.
    2015 Nitro Z8
    2015 Mercury Optimax 250
    2019 Chevy Silverado

14. Member
    Weiss has grown spots for sure. Can be dangerous if you don't know where to run northeast of the big bridge but west of the big bridge is easier to run
    2000 Triton Tr21
    2002 Mercury 250 Pro XB