Banned

Cutting the Spectrum Cable!

Desperately looking to find someone who can mount, setup, and attach a outdoor HD TV antenna in the Greensboro, NC area. It has come time to cut the cable! With the cost of a Cable connection reaching $200/month the wife and I have come to the decision to cut all the service of cable except for internet.

Just stream through your internet. No need for a dish.

3. Banned
    At present I have a neighbor who might be able to install antenna. Exactly what I am going to do Juice. I installed a ROKU streaming stick unit. Found a load of stuff available but not the local TV channels. Once having a outdoor antenna mounted, and installed so I'll be able to receive the local TV channels I'll have everything canceled with Spectrum except the internet connection. Just having an outdoor antenna to allow to view local TV channels.

4. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by juice780 View Post
    Just stream through your internet. No need for a dish.
    Agreed. We use Hulu and Netflix. I think the total per month is 22 bucks. That doesnt include the internet bill. No dish, cable, satellite.

Quote Originally Posted by Heelman99 View Post
    Desperately looking to find someone who can mount, setup, and attach a outdoor HD TV antenna in the Greensboro, NC area. It has come time to cut the cable! With the cost of a Cable connection reaching $200/month the wife and I have come to the decision to cut all the service of cable except for internet.
    if you have not already cut the cable they are going to increase your internet fees to the bargain price of 64.99 + taxes and fees to keep their standard 100 mbps service.

You might not need an outdoor HD antenna to get local channels. I would try an indoor version first. Also Spectrum/TWC had a local channel only package at one time for 10.00 a month
    Last edited by Rodney P; 01-02-2019 at 12:23 PM.

Not sure where you live but if you live within an hour from a major city you should be able to get by with and indoor reciver and not need an outdoor antenna. If you use spectrum for internet you won’t have to upgrade anything. Plenty fast to stream tv. Spectrum is the fastest available in most areas around here.

7. Banned
    If you have FTA towers around you, get a FTA system and the innerweb..........life will be good.

8. Banned
    Speedy,
    Youtube TV has local channels. It is 40/month. I am switching from Sling to YoutubeTV this month. I am sure they have a way to view it on your Roku stick.

9. Banned
    Thanks Batman. I ordered a outdoor HD antenna on Ebay for a whopping $25. Got son-in-law connecting and connecting everything when it is delivered. Will check out YouTube TV for sure

Speedy, in the same boat as you... Freakin Spectrum is my single most expensive monthly bill and that’s ridiculous! One my neighbors suggested the YouTube TV as well.. Spectrum internet will have to remain though and I think we need to just quit them totally.. let me know how you like the antenna route..
    2001 Ranger 518DVX Comanche / Mercury 200 Opti (OT306368)

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phisherman View Post
    If you have FTA towers around you, get a FTA system and the innerweb..........life will be good.
    I did not have much luck with google and FTA towers. What does FTA stand for? For you old military guys, I know I just walked into that one.

12. Banned
    I have been on the free trail of youtubetv and it has been really really good. The local channels on youtubetv here in Ral are the exact same ones I get on my antenna.

I cut the cable about 2.5 years ago and have tried most of them.
    -I have been on Sling for a while. It is cheap and is decent. It runs thru chrome on a PC (there is an app also) and then thru an app on a phone or tablet. Issues that have been ongoing are the stream freezing and having to refresh. Happens at least once a night.
    -I did the free trial of PlayStation TV and was not impressed. Channel navigation was not intuitive and it had the same issue as sling with the stream stopping. It ran in 720 more than 1080 (not a connection issue)
    -Youtube TV is more directed towards the sports person. ESPN's, a couple of Fox sports channels. The performance is far better than the others, not streams stopping, good DVR (sling charges 5/month for DVR). The app for the phone/tablet is good also.

To me there is little doubt from what I have tried YoutubeTV seems the best.

13. Member
    YouTube TV. In Raleigh has locals. I like it a lot.
    Russell Winneberger
    2002 Stratos 20 XL
    ColorVision Painting

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by csurp View Post
    I did not have much luck with google and FTA towers. What does FTA stand for? For you old military guys, I know I just walked into that one.
    free to air = FTA . There are ALOT of channels including your locals that are offered free to the public. Transmitted over the air. To find out where your free to air towers are, just google it

Hope the antenna you got works. I've tried a couple different ones and found that I definitely got what I paid for. The more expensive one gets much better reception. It was $60 I think. If you can use a screw driver you can install an HD antenna to your house. It will need to connect to the plug where cable comes in then connect the TVs to the cable jack. Note that you MUST have TVs with a digital tuner. Anything bought relatively recently will have one but some older flat screens don't.

Not sure how having internet coming through the same plug will work. I've split coaxe out to multiple TVs but never combined two sources to run on a single cable.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

16. Member
    Cut cable about 6 mos ago. I use to have the bundle with Spectrum. I dropped the land line and cable. I kept the internet. I went with Sling and a HD antenna plus Netflix. HD antenna didn't work to well in my house, but Sling was fine. got an offer from Spectrum for their streaming service since i'm still a customer of their internet. (It's their way of trying to recoup all those people who cut cable). they offered me $21.99 per month for 2 years. I get all the local channels on spectrum and a choice of 10 cable channels that i choose from a list of channels. We love it. My spectrum bill went from approx. $170 a month to $69. I've been encouraging everyone to cut cable regardless of who you go with. It's the only way they're ever going to change packages, etc.

17. Banned
    Considering something here also other than Spectrum. I was at $250 a month for a few years and dropped the land line and another service and got it down to $190 about a year ago and now it has sneaked back up to $205 a month.

18. Member
    Dumfries, Va./ Kerr-Buggs Island, Boydton Va.
    /www.homeantenna.com/digital-antenna-reception-map/ This site will be useful.

19. Banned
    Thanks guys for all the input. Batman going your way to start with and Youtube TV. Got it all installed now, Roku Streaming Stick and YouTube TV just in time for the Clemson/ Alabama football game. Got an outdoor antenna ordered on Ebay coming next week but probably not going to use it right off. Next step possibly to relocate internet router to a more central location in the house. Setting here watching SEC channel and media day for the national championship football game, Hot Dam!