Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LOZ early spring tips

Hey guys,

My buddy and I from WI are heading down to try our hand at LOZ from March 6-10 this spring and hoping you guys could help us out with some tips or general areas to try. We have both been there a couple times over 10 years ago for FLW college tournaments but we did horrible back then.

I know early prespawn it has a reputation for a solid A-Rig and jerkbait bite but anything else productive? Certain brand of rig or particular swimbaits to throw on them? I read that clown or brightly colored jerkbaits work well also. I’d have to think a Ned or a plain old jig would catch em too.

And as far as areas, I remember the fabled “North Shore” towards the dam end and the Gravois as being players and channel swings the thing to focus on?

Any my other tips tricks or areas would be appreciated. We don’t need big giant fish, just looking for an opportunity for some bass fishing prior to May up by us.

2. Member

USA

Jerk baits, jigs, wiggle worts are mainstays.

Jerkbaits Wiggle Warts and jigs will probably be your best bet that time of year depending on the weather and water temps.

4. Member
    I would also add crank baits to the list. Color seems to change year to but usually something with orange or green.

5. Member

USA

A wiggle wort is a crank bait.

6. ozarkCat
    fish the Hurricane deck area

7. Member
    Right now I’ve been seeing some decent fish on a jerk bait with long pauses in between jerks.
    1984 Ranger 395V 1998 Mariner 225 Mag EFI

"A bad day of fishing, is always better then a good day at work"

8. Member
    We are now a week out from our trip and the forecasted temps don’t look overly promising. Anyone been out recently and can give report on temps or conditions??

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by UWBASS View Post
    We are now a week out from our trip and the forecasted temps don’t look overly promising. Anyone been out recently and can give report on temps or conditions??
    Fishing has been tough from what I am hearing. Also might tie on an A-Rig.
    Former USAF Gunner B-52H

10. Member
    I wish I could tell you what has been working, but with the weather I haven't been able to get out and even get a line wet. Good luck

11. Moderator Vexus Boats sclark's Avatar
    Warm Clothes.. not sure what the fish are doing, but the rest of us are trying to stay warm :-)

12. Member
    Was out Monday afternoon this week for some crappie fishing, but I did throw a jerk bait a few times to try out a new rod. Lower lake is still very dingy, 18" clarity and cold, 38 -41 +/- degrees. The Gravois arm is a little clearer, 3-4' clarity and running about the same temps. Hopefully the lake will clean up considerably before you get here, otherwise might be a tough bite. All of the aforementioned lures will have to be tried, especially jerk baits and jigs. G'luck!

13. Member
    Thy looking thru this (https://www.ameren.com/missouri/lake-of-the-ozarks ) they are the power company who runs the lake, and sets the rules i believe. Also Truman is letting out water so current is generated, you can find the generation schedule on ( https://www.swpa.gov/generationschedules.aspx ) on the heading of HST # 17 i believe.

14. Member
    With the weather that is supposed to come in this weekend, I think we need to start a list of resturants, bars, movie theaters and heated crappie docks for UWBASS. It's gonna be COLD! I heard 9 inches of snow at LOZ on sunday??

15. Member
    Haven't heard of heated public docks on LOZ, used to be some on Grand in OK

16. Member
    LOL while the idea of spending our time in restaurants and at the movies, I think we will just grind it out on the lake. Cold weather doesn’t really faze me too much considering I ice fish about 50 days a year. Water temps that cold sound pretty brutal though. Thanks for all the tips and advice so far. I guess we will just see how it goes. I’m fully prepared to let my jerkbait sit for 7 or 8 minutes between twitches.

17. Member
    On LOZ with water temps likely from 39-42 while your there......throw out the LC or other favorite jerkbait on 6-8lb flouro and sweep it down to suspending depth, stop, and do nothing. It’s hard, but that’s the deal unless a few nice days pop up before you get here and the water warms a bit. Also, a drop shot off the bottom some with a tiny tube or your favorite micro size minnow plastic. Or chunk and grind the A rig on or around points.
    Gambler Outlaw 1900 SC
    Mercury Optimax 200 3.0 liter Torquemaster
    Mercury Trophy 25P
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80
    Garmin 106sv Ultra & 93sv UHD

18. Member
    Looks like you guys may see some warmer temps! Might head down myself! Sick of spending money on lures and not using them!

If the waters murky due to Truman dumping, I’d just stay home with those water temps.

Otherwise is head into the larger coves from the dam down to midlake including the Gravois, Linn Creek and Glaize arms, no need to go much further than 1/2 way back in those coves and hit the channel swing banks. You can usually spot those by the darker shelf rock on the bank above. Jigs and Rogues or Pointers worked v-e-r-y slow.

Still a little early for the WW bite.

20. Member
    Hopefully you guys are there fishing! On my trail cam, it says the temp went from 4 this morning to 53 now!!!

If if you are fishing, good luck!! Let us know how you do!!

Edit: I’m guessing the temp sensor was just right in the sun. Weather app says it only got up to 40. :(
    Last edited by fishinFamily; 03-06-2019 at 02:44 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast