Thread: 1993 Gambler

1993 Gambler

I bought a 1993 Gambler 206? over 3 years ago with a 2003 Merc Optimax 175, the day before opening bass here in Ontario. I am not sure the model of the boat and can't seem to find much info. It is a single console model with the extra hole in the front deck for a 3rd seat. It is rated for 235hp.
    The boat has had a rough life. It looks like it has never been taken care of, waxed, covered during the summer, etc. The clearcoat over the metalflake is pretty much gone, seats were ripped, someone painted over all the top white with what looks like a beige or has turned that colour beige and it is peeling all over. The wiring is a mess, most of the gauges don't work, none of the lights work, all 3 batteries were screwed and mismatched, both front seats and poles missing, etc.
    I have been slowly fixing the boat up. I bought a front seat and took all seats to get recovered and matched up. I bought 3 new batteries and a new 3 bank charger. I fixed up most of the wiring.
    Life was good. It was no beauty queen, but a big improvement from the old Foxcraft 16' bass boat with 50hp I had before that.
    I was faced with a very tough decision this fall. I just started a little bit of tournament fishing in 2018 in a club with about a dozen dates, mostly during the fall. It is a one person only club, so the single console is perfect and gives me lots of room. I thought tournament fishing would be a good way to learn some skills and force myself to get better and not just crankbait fish, due to the fact that I hate to lose.
    I was on only my 3rd tournament, on my home lake, and had high expectations. Unfortunately, I had my worst day of fishing yet.
    I have had the boat 3 full summers, and never a single hiccup. The day of the tournament, I started having motor troubles. It was hard starting and down on power. I also had my first ever problems with my trolling motor. When I got home from the tournament, I pulled the lid and found a stud had broken off and an ear on the compressor. That let the compressor go up into the plastic flywheel cover, which melted through it, broke the air filter off, and sent aluminum filings all over the place. I looked down in the intake, and shiny metal and plastic pieces were everywhere.
    The wife and I had a nice long talk. It was either time to cut it loose and get a new boat, or spend some money.
    I am happy to say that I decided to keep the old Gambler. I bought a 2012 Evinrude 200 HO with 332 hours from a marina and haven't even had a chance to start it yet, ordered a Helix 7 with SI for the dash, and a Helix 9 with only DI for the bow but they are both networking so I can see SI on both. I know they are not much of a fishfinder compared to what most guys are running, but will be a big improvement from the single Helix 5 I was running on the front before. I am also about to order the 80lb 60" shaft 24v MotorGuide Xi5 and am very excited about that.
    I understand why guys are so loyal to Gambler/Sterling once they get one. When it is time to upgrade, they will be the only boats I look at, if I can ever part with this one...

2. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    There’s a Gambler about the same age as yours at a local small marina; the red/silver/black color combo. Sexiest bass boat ever made imo. SO much deck to fish from! I have a 90 Etec and I think you will enjoy the motor: quiet, smooth, and strong! She looks good, glad to see your keeping her and updating! I’m sure that boat gets looks everywhere. They look fast sitting still
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

3. Member
    Thanks Casslaw. This is only my 2nd boat, and they were both Mercs. I was very disappointed in the Optimax because it has very low hours and to have a problem like that...
    I am looking forward to trying out the E-Tec and have heard great things about them.
    The deck is huge on it, and with the single console it gives even more room.
    They do look fast sitting still and people usually say "Is that an old Bullet?". I only had one guy who knew instantly it was a Gambler, in my fishing club, because he also owned one. I know it was plenty fast with the 175, can hardly wait to figure out prop and jack plate to see what she has in her with the 200 HO.
    The guy I bought it from swore he got 73mph once out of it with the 175. I thought he was completely full of $&^(, but I got it to 69 on the GPS and it wasn't maxed out. I had topped it out with the 175, but only had a 5" screen at the front of the boat to tell me speed, so every time it got to the high 60's, I quit trying to look at the numbers on that little screen and payed attention to what was going on around me instead. This year I will have a fishfinder with GPS right in the dash.

4. Member
    Three questions:

1. Any idea what shaft length I would need on the Xi5? I was going to go with the 60" but now hear that might be too long? The boat sits very high on the front, even with me up there fishing, and current motor has prop in and out of the water on rough days. I don't want that with the new motor. I would rather have the motor too long and sticking up out of the bracket than too short. I can go measure the length of the current motor later, but I know it is a 70lb and it worked just fine, so looking forward to the 80lb.

2. Where do I start with a prop? The one on the Merc was a stainless 3 blade 25P, part # 48-825872 25P. I had plenty of holeshot for me with that one and should be gaining close to 50hp with the new motor. I would like a good all-around prop that maybe leans a little more towards top end than holeshot.

3. The new motor sits slightly lower using the same holes. Unfortunately it only has a manual jacking plate, so I am wondering where to set the motor as a good starting point? Is there a rough way to get in the ballpark?

Thanks in advance for all advice.

5. Member
    Go with the 60” shaft on the Trolling Motor. As long as the trolling motor has not been centered up it won’t be a problem. When/if you fill the fuel tank the problem only gets worse with the 45” shaft. Don’t know a thing about the 200H.O.. but... if it were me I would start with either a 25” Trophy or a 24” Fury 4 blade. Personally... I think the 4 blade Fury is hard to beat. Far superior rough water ride than the Trophy. It will be a tad slower though. I would suggest getting the motor as high as water pressure/lower unit will allow. With the combo you have you should get +/-70 mph.

6. Member
    Thanks Yup.

7. Member
    I have a 1993 206, I have a 4 blade 25 Trophy with a Merc 225 EFI and always see 70+ by myself just dont push it there alot.
    1993 Gambler 206

8. Member
    Thanks BW