new pro-xs questions

SN2B594418 - 2018 ProXS 4-stroke v6 175hp.

Have had this motor about 10 hours now. Impressive outboard.

I have a few questions outside what I am able to derive from the supplied manuals:

1. I see Mercury provides information to perform self maintenance. (oil change, gearcase change, filter inspections, etc....). Does the warranty support me performing and documenting ALL maintenance? If not, what actions are required by a dealer to maintain warranty?

2. My lower unit has what I believe to be called "low water pickup". Water intakes on the front edge of the nose cone. This is new for me an causes concern as I fish shallow Florida lakes. I've never had an issue with previous outboards going though occasional muck in the past. Those intakes on the front make me wonder how much more I need to concentrate on where/how I'm running the motor. Question is how to I remedy clogging if this happens? I don't see this covered in the manual.

3. Flushing - The flush port on the side is quite handy. This is the only flushing method mentioned in the manual. Is this an adequate method for flushing after brackish water use? Is there a "fuller" way to flush with muffs or something when necessary?

Thanks in advance!

I will be following this thread as I'm interested in these items as well. Can I ask what boat you have this motor on?
    Craig
    USMC Retired
    2019 Nitro Z18 w/Dual Consoles
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS

Psalm 29:3 The voice of the Lord is upon the waters: the God of glory thundereth: the Lord is upon many waters.

3. Member
    I called and talked to Mercury about doing my own oil and gear lube changes. They said no problem but keep good record of what is done with dates and run hours.
    Also keep receipts for oil, lube, filter, etc for proof of what you bought/used met specifications. I just use Mercury products.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    1. As you were told, keep a record of maintenance. Also keep receipts (strongly recommend you use OEM components). Claims are not denied just because you did your own maintenance (though they might be if it was performed improperly, or incorrect components/lubes were used).

2. Same as previous 3L Models. DON'T ALTER. Just keep the gearcase in clean water. If the water is nasty, or you're trolling around in shallows/stumps/etc, RAISE ENGINE into tilt range to get gearcase out of the water.

3. Yes, quite handy. Not really for running engine, however. BEST method is to follow up after flushing with a nice hard run in a body of FRESH water.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Banned
    Don provided great answers. Don’t worry too much about clogging the front intake holes with anything besides wood from log/branch/stump strikes. Our customers fish in just as nasty or nastier waters in Louisiana and have no issues besides the occasional piece of wood we find during maintenance. If you flush with muffs, make sure to block off the front intake holes. Mercury sells a strap or you can use something as simple as duct tape.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davidwademarine View Post
    Don provided great answers. Don’t worry too much about clogging the front intake holes with anything besides wood from log/branch/stump strikes. Our customers fish in just as nasty or nastier waters in Louisiana and have no issues besides the occasional piece of wood we find during maintenance. If you flush with muffs, make sure to block off the front intake holes. Mercury sells a strap or you can use something as simple as duct tape.
    Don't all the new 4 strokes have a hose hookup so you don't use muffs? My 150 Pro XS does. Do you still need to block off the intakes?

- 2019 Ranger Z185 - Mercury 150 Pro XS

7. Member
    Yes, new 4-stroke proXS has a hose flush port like the 2-stroke. As Don confirmed, not to be used with engine running.

I guess I need to get some better muffs. I tried to tape off front intakes and flush, but water never got picked up to circulate.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davidwademarine View Post
    I've seen guys down around venice running thru wet mud and their motors just spit it out and flush out once they get thru it. Looks crazy but they do it all the time

9. mikesxpress
    The more crap you run thru the quicker the strainer clogs up and more wear on the water pump impeller/housing. None of it is a major issue as long as you realize you need to conduct the proper mait. for the conditions you frequent. Lots of grass and floaters here and I use mine in saltwater 65% of the time. Hook it up to the flush when I get home for 10 minutes and hose it off.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sirmo View Post
    Yes, new 4-stroke proXS has a hose flush port like the 2-stroke. As Don confirmed, not to be used with engine running.

I guess I need to get some better muffs. I tried to tape off front intakes and flush, but water never got picked up to circulate.
    Good to know.

- 2019 Ranger Z185 - Mercury 150 Pro XS