Remote drain plug question?

Has anyone installed one in their allison? When I got mine in 2914, the plug was far away, and every year it gets at least a foot farther away!!

Thinking about adding a remote.

Any experience?

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
    MET/ XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite - 300xs

2. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    Yes, installed one in mine and love it. The actuator/lever is on the side wall next to the drivers seat kinda beside me. I wish I had installed it instead on the back wall right behind the drivers seat. That way the cable would have had more of a straight shot to the lever. I ran the cable under the livewell from the plug hole and it came out under the potty bucket. From there it would have been straight to the back wall.

The brass sleeve allison puts in the plug hole has to be removed and the hole enlarged. After enlarging the hole over an inch in diameter I used marine tex to line the exposed material and seal it up. Remember theres no wood in our transoms just core material
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

Thanks Craig-

How did you remove the sleeve? Drill it out?

Quote Originally Posted by AllyFishing View Post
    Yes, installed one in mine and love it. The actuator/lever is on the side wall next to the drivers seat kinda beside me. I wish I had installed it instead on the back wall right behind the drivers seat. That way the cable would have had more of a straight shot to the lever. I ran the cable under the livewell from the plug hole and it came out under the potty bucket. From there it would have been straight to the back wall.

The brass sleeve allison puts in the plug hole has to be removed and the hole enlarged. After enlarging the hole over an inch in diameter I used marine tex to line the exposed material and seal it up. Remember theres no wood in our transoms just core material
    MET/ XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite - 300xs

4. Member
    I used a small hack saw blade and cut a slit in it opposite each other then gently chiseled it out. Didn't do any damage to the surrounding gel or fiberglass. Then worked at it with a needle nose piers till I pried it out. It's not glued in at all. It's just a brass sleeve that is inserted into the hole and with some sort of tool it gets the curled crimp on one end that holds it in place. Dont try to drill it out cuz it will end up spinning
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

After adding power poles to my XB-2003 I basically have to get on my hands and knees and crawl under it to put the plug in. I think this will be my next upgrade. Thanks for the tip. Where do you buy one and is there a certain brand we should buy?

6. Member
    Last edited by AllyFishing; 01-06-2019 at 12:26 PM.
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

7. Member
    I'll probably put one in my boat as well. I have the power poles too and even though I don't often get my boat wet, it happens sometimes. I'm getting old and lazy and this body says $89.99 is worth every penny.

8. Member
    I'm on the fence... it is extremely inconvenient to get down on your knees as water drips and pours out the livewell to take out the plug... can the remote plug be trusted? Can someone smarter than me convince me that it's a good idea to add? Thx!
    Allison XB21 Prosport Mercury Racing 250XS with a 1.75 Sporty

Quote Originally Posted by NOTGSXR View Post
    I'm on the fence... it is extremely inconvenient to get down on your knees as water drips and pours out the livewell to take out the plug... can the remote plug be trusted? Can someone smarter than me convince me that it's a good idea to add? Thx!
    Sounds like a job for Fastbass Marine! I know a guy there lol
    Jay McDaniel
    2003 Allison XB21 BasSport Elite 2+2
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R

10. Member
    Had mine now for 3 years. I regularly open it all the way and clean the "O" ring with a rag and then apply lubricant to the ring to keep it cleaned and lubricated. It works perfectly for me. I keep my bilge clean as well which is huge.
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

Had mine now for 3 years. I regularly open it all the way and clean the "O" ring with a rag and then apply lubricant to the ring to keep it cleaned and lubricated. It works perfectly for me. I keep my bilge clean as well which is huge.
    What do you do to keep your bilge clean?

12. Member
    Maybe once a year I use a bilge cleaner product which removes the slimy coating and the dirty look. But I visually inspect very regularly and remove any line, or pieces of soft plastics or debris that may find itself down there which is very rare anyway. I'll open the valve and hose it down from the inside. It just makes sense to attend to regular maintenance
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

Maybe once a year I use a bilge cleaner product which removes the slimy coating and the dirty look. But I visually inspect very regularly and remove any line, or pieces of soft plastics or debris that may find itself down there which is very rare anyway. I'll open the valve and hose it down from the inside. It just makes sense to attend to regular maintenance

14. Member
    I'm tempted to go this route as well. The difficulty in reaching the plug is one of the very few things I don't like about my boat.
    2024 Xpress X21 / Yamaha 250 SHO
    2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite / 2022 Mercury 300R (Sold)