Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdwo2212 View Post
    Im tired of the weather here, and ky lake is about 8hrs from me. So i started looking into making a trip down there. Ive never been there before, but always hear about it. Wouldnt be able to go till spring anyway, but im trying to look into it. Can anyone suggest a good place to stay with accommodations for boaters? (Like a place to plug in and parking) Seen a bunch online, but not sure whats better than others. Was hoping maybe someone here can suggest something. Hoping for something on north side of lake as im coming from the north. I was looking at Moors resort. Anyone got experience there? Anything i need to know? Thanks all.
    Pm sent

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bcreek View Post
    Ky. Lake not what it used to be? Lambert weighed over 100 lbs for 4 days in June.
    Yes, but there were guys in the top 10 that didn't catch a limit. Even Lambert barely caught a limit on the first day, he just found the right size. The lake is full of carp both on ledges and creeks. Entire backwaters on that lake are filled with those jumping things and not a bass to be found.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bcreek View Post
    Ky. Lake not what it used to be? Lambert weighed over 100 lbs for 4 days in June. Yes it is full of carp but I think they have a pretty good plan in place to start dealing with it. Alot of guys are bummed because they can't turn on their $15k in electronics and find a ledge loaded up. The fish have gotten wise to that boat idling over their head all day; they scatter. I have a place about a mile from Moor's and use the ramps there all the time. First class place(not cheap) but they have everything. Lodging, covered slips,restaurant,bar,gas. Oh, and we caught a lot of big fish on TOP from April until Thanksgiving.

And you didnt have to have 60lbs to make the top 9. It wasnt long ago when 60lbs over 4 days would get you laughed at. In late May/June literally anybody could go catch 15lbs a day. Remember the days where you got tired of catching 2 1/2lb fish? It wasnt that long ago. Say whatever youd like, the lake isnt what it was by a long shot. Im not saying there arent fish or big fish, there just arent as many as there used to be or theyve completely changed where they live and nobody is adjusting. Lambert found a couple of those magical schools and he was the only one to do it (although Haynes was on one of the same schools). The lack of short fish and those 15-17" fish that used to be plentiful is what baffles me. Seems like now when you catch a keeper its generally a really good fish, theyre just few and far between
    They aint got hands, set the hook

4. Member
    i was there last summer stayed at Buzzard Rock it was ok thats about it,looks like it needs a good update,nobody there 7 cabins 5 empty,fishing not good some small ones,i won't be going back for a while,you might want look newton lake in ill,for nice little trip

5. Member
    Ok. Ill keep that in mind. Never been there either.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DMart1 View Post
    Yes, but there were guys in the top 10 that didn't catch a limit. Even Lambert barely caught a limit on the first day, he just found the right size. The lake is full of carp both on ledges and creeks. Entire backwaters on that lake are filled with those jumping things and not a bass to be found.
    Right. Lambert’s school he found was like finding the Lockness Monster. Lol. Look at the weights below him and the Bassmasters. The big girls are in there no doubt, but you will struggle to get bites. Still a great tournament lake, but not exactly the most fun vacation lake. Many other choices that are far better.

Quote Originally Posted by illinifish View Post
    You may want to look into the impact the Asian carp have on KY lake recently before you book a room.
    Still a great place to fish ... it's my home lake ...

15 - 22 pound bag not hard on any given day if you are well informed fisherman ( I don't mean local knowledge ) with good electronics

also you mentioned crappie ... giant slabs abound in the spring ... good eats
    Last edited by Five Loaves and Two Fish; 01-17-2019 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Adding crappie part

8. Member
    Ok cool. Im really intrigued by newton. Heading there for a 3 day trip. But ky lake still might happen this year. Thanks again all.

9. Member
    Moore’s is nice. You can easily access Barkley from there don’t over look the overlooked.

10. Member
    The fishing actually hasn't been too bad this winter for me on Kentucky Lake. I actually prefer to fish in the winter if you get decent weather. I have had the lake to myself most days I have gone on the weekends so you can fish the most obvious stuff and catch some (South End of the lake). Last Saturday caught 15 pounds in about 3 hours before the rain came through. Now the water has been warm for this time of the year which has helped but the current is pretty strong. I wouldn't shy away from Kentucky. Like I said, you aren't gonna have to fight crowds right now and its a big lake. Just fish obvious stuff right now. Maybe throw a jerkbait...........

Quote Originally Posted by jdwo2212 View Post
    Bout 6hrs probably. Never fished there either. I know its a party lake, so that has its ups and downs. But thats pretty much all i know. If you were to go to ozarks, where would you suggest staying etc?
    If you are taking your family - Tan Tara is nice and it is up river a bit. There are a ton of good places and less good.

Mississippi River Pool 13
    Ranger R93 / Merc 200

12. Member
    Look at table rock maybe. I'll be on Cumberland, Dale Hallow and Cedar Creek in the next few weeks though.
    Johnny
    "Short Brown & Round"

Sun Tropic Outdoors & Shooting Team

13. Member
    Look at Clinton lake in Illinois

14. Banned
    Fish Tale Lodge , 5 minutes from Paris Landing Marina .

15. Member
    Stayed at The Moors last autumn. You can pull your boat out every night or pay to have a covered dock. The place is really, really nice and not crazy expensive.

16. Member
    Go to Table Rock. It's awesome this time of year.

17. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by GZ ONE View Post
    Fish Tale Lodge , 5 minutes from Paris Landing Marina .
    This place is great, I’ve spent many nights with them.

18. Member
    I don't live on Ky. Lake but I've fished it at least 4-5 long weekends every year since 2005. If you don't know the lake I would suggest going some where else for the time being. I fish crappie 80% of time and have more Ky Lake waypoints than I can count. The carp have definitely changed things for the worse... 2018 was the last year I'll be making my spring time trips to chase crappie on the Ky for the time being, I just can't justify the expense. I hate to say but you're better off driving someplace else, the fishing sucks right now!

19. Member
    Well i appreciate all the info. Definately keeping my mind open. Thinkin of heading to newton end of febuary.

20. Banned
    The crappie fishing has taken a hit for sure. The carp have almost destroyed the lake.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast