Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Planning a trip to KY lake?

Im tired of the weather here, and ky lake is about 8hrs from me. So i started looking into making a trip down there. Ive never been there before, but always hear about it. Wouldnt be able to go till spring anyway, but im trying to look into it. Can anyone suggest a good place to stay with accommodations for boaters? (Like a place to plug in and parking) Seen a bunch online, but not sure whats better than others. Was hoping maybe someone here can suggest something. Hoping for something on north side of lake as im coming from the north. I was looking at Moors resort. Anyone got experience there? Anything i need to know? Thanks all.

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Moors is a nice place with good fishing nearby. Covered slips with power are really nice.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

You may want to look into the impact the Asian carp have on KY lake recently before you book a room.
    Enjoying life in Southern Illinois

4. Member
    Is it bad down there? I havent looked into that part of it much. Was just thinkin good bass/crappie fishin. Moors has covered dock slips for guests? That would be nice.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdwo2212 View Post
    Is it bad down there? I havent looked into that part of it much. Was just thinkin good bass/crappie fishin. Moors has covered dock slips for guests? That would be nice.

KY isnt the lake it once was by a looong shot. The guys that know the lake still catch some, but its not like it used to be where a guy thats never been there can go wear them out. I live about 2 1/2 hours away and have stopped fishing a circuit because their classic is there and its not worth taking a week of vacation and spending the money to go not catch any fish. Granted its in the fall, but they dropped the limit to 3 fish and 70% of the field still didnt weigh a limit. Id suggest looking at another place to go
    They aint got hands, set the hook

6. Member
    Hmm... Any suggestions? Near illinois or ky border?

7. Member
    How far is Lake of Ozarks for you? The fishing is usually good throughout the winter and I see the extended forecast looks good

8. Member
    Oh and the crappie fishing is usually good down there too

9. Member
    Bout 6hrs probably. Never fished there either. I know its a party lake, so that has its ups and downs. But thats pretty much all i know. If you were to go to ozarks, where would you suggest staying etc?

10. Member
    AR has some great lakes, I've had good numbers on Norfolk in the spring fishing the Bass Cat tournament several years ago. I personally make the LONG haul all the way down to the Stick Marsh almost every February. KY Lake is an hour from me. I have friends that live real close to there and fish it all the time. All I heard from them this year is how tough it was. I fished Old Hickory WAY more than Ky Lake in 2018. You won't get the size there, but the numbers were there and I didn't have any carp jump in the boat...yet.

I would check on the Chick in Chattanooga or maybe even Guntersville if you don't want to drive to Florida and are looking for a chance at a big bass in the spring around here.

We can have REAL iffy weather in the spring and these lakes are fairly wide open...better plan on several days to help ensure you get a couple of days to really enjoy the lake. If you are used to smaller lakes these big ole southern lakes can be daunting.

11. Member
    Ha I would avoid KY lake for a while.. Carp have destroyed that lake..

Lake of the Ozarks is a great lake in the spring, not much partying until it starts getting warmer in May. Tons of options for lodging as well.

12. Member
    Ok guys thanks. I dont lake fish ever. Which is why im trying to make a trip. Usually im up and down pools here on the mississippi river. So im maily a dirty river fisherman. Haha

13. Member
    I fish the river some up on pool 10 as my wife and her sister have a place in Prairie Du Chien. I sent you a pm

14. Member
    Nice! I fish 9-12 mostly. Usually 11 & 12.

Quote Originally Posted by jdwo2212 View Post
    Im tired of the weather here, and ky lake is about 8hrs from me. So i started looking into making a trip down there. Ive never been there before, but always hear about it. Wouldnt be able to go till spring anyway, but im trying to look into it. Can anyone suggest a good place to stay with accommodations for boaters? (Like a place to plug in and parking) Seen a bunch online, but not sure whats better than others. Was hoping maybe someone here can suggest something. Hoping for something on north side of lake as im coming from the north. I was looking at Moors resort. Anyone got experience there? Anything i need to know? Thanks all.
    To the op.... We've used Buchanan Resort a number or times and never disappointed, wide range of accommodation needs. Just a little off of US 79.

16. Member
    Ok thanks. Ill look into there too.

17. Member
    Ky. Lake not what it used to be? Lambert weighed over 100 lbs for 4 days in June. Yes it is full of carp but I think they have a pretty good plan in place to start dealing with it. Alot of guys are bummed because they can't turn on their $15k in electronics and find a ledge loaded up. The fish have gotten wise to that boat idling over their head all day; they scatter. I have a place about a mile from Moor's and use the ramps there all the time. First class place(not cheap) but they have everything. Lodging, covered slips,restaurant,bar,gas. Oh, and we caught a lot of big fish on TOP from April until Thanksgiving.

18. Member
    Cool! Thanks!

19. Member
    I fish both Kentucky lake and lake of the ozarks . My wife and I have a place on Jonathan creek at Kentucky lake . Give the people over at Sportsmans on Jonathan Creek a call be a little cheaper than the Moore’s . If you go to the lake of the ozarks Robins inn is very nice middle of the lake area .Red oak is also a good place to stay up the Osage . All the places have covered boat slips ,fish cleaning tables , boat ramps cottages or motel space . If your a river fisherman and you go to lake of the ozarks the upper Osage river is hard to beat in the spring for big sacks of bass or even a big mess of crappie . Upper Osage you will feel at home as water is not clear like most Missouri lakes . Lake of the ozarks is a party lake but it is outstanding when it comes to bass and crappie fishing . Lake of the ozarks is a good place for old school fishing with a bit of tech . Kentucky lake is more tech fishing and some old school mixed inn . Both lake are huge in size . Both lakes can get mean .

20. Member
    Yes both LOZ and Kentucky lake are both good fisheries. Don't worry about the party crowds at LOZ this time of the year. All the resorts listed Red Oak and Robins are great as are the Moor's at Kentucky lake and Buchanan which is way south. My personal favorite is the Moor's at kentucky lake check the fishing reports and water temp you will have a good time at either lake.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast