Cockpit MaterialI

I have a 2002 G3 Pro175 and the cockpit has hairline and stress cracks. Anyone know what the heck this is made of. A G3 rep "thinks" it is fiber glass covered with "something".

Without looking underneath, my guess Is that it is a roto molded product which would make it some sort of plastic formulation.
    You may be able to fill those cracks, sand and paint it or G3 may sell you a new one.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

3. Member
    To old and no longer available. Talked to the G3 quality control manager and he "thinks' it may be fiber glass covered with some kind of plastic material. I have been on line looking at repair information and right now I am leaning for Marine Tec to fill the bigger stress cracks and MagicEasy Hairline Fix for the hairline cracks after I go over them with a tiny Dremel engraving bit. I will look under the console when it warms up since the boat is in the state park storage yard. If all of this works, I will then spray paint it. Right now I am not sure what I am doing with out knowing for sure the material of the console. Was hoping someone on here had been involved in manufacturing something like this.

4. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    remove it sand it down with 320 light skim coat body filler over whole thing block it smooth, moving up in grits finishing with 600. epoxy primer, basecoat/clearcoat for a beautiful lasting finish.

5. Member
    Thank you. I have found a product to fill hairline cracks after routing them a touch with a dremel engraving ball and the slightly larger stress cracks with a product called Magic EZY Hairline Fix and of course comments on its effectiveness are all over the map from wonderful to terrible. If this stuff works it would be the easy way out, then either paint it, or put a wrap on it. It seems all of them are too tiny for Marine Tec. I am not equipped physical, or mentally LOL to take that thing off at 84 years old, but I still fish.

6. Member
    84 years old, but I still fish.
    Awesome but at 84 I wouldn't care about the boats wrinkles. More time to fish
    1996 Stratos 201 pro xl
    1996 Johnson Faststrike J150GLEDB

Quote Originally Posted by ScottOz View Post
    84 years old, but I still fish.
    Awesome but at 84 I wouldn't care about the boats wrinkles. More time to fish
    Sort of agree... function over finish at that point.
    How about tape off surrounding carpet/boat, scuff it up, and spray or roll it with a bed liner type finish? Something like Durabak might fill/cover the cracks, and comes in lots of colors.

8. Member
    But I am a nit pick and everything has to be right Yes, I drive my wife crazy LOL. BTW, as you can see from other post it is fiber glass covered with something. Love cell cameras when the bones don't bend as they used to. Damn it is tight under that console. Last summer I got up under there and could not get unscrewed. Thank goodness I was in the driveway and the wife was home. I will not mention what her comment was as she was hauling on a leg.

9. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Just have it wrapped then and font worry bout the cracks. They look fine enough A wrap will cover them and end result will look great.

10. Member
    I have really been considering that also for sure, but concerned if the cracks would grow under the wrap. Wish I lived near you and you would get it to do the right thing.

11. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by HalBrown View Post
    I have really been considering that also for sure, but concerned if the cracks would grow under the wrap. Wish I lived near you and you would get it to do the right thing.

Looking at your other pic showing the fiberglass underneath, appears to be vacuum formed plastic that was reinforced with chopped strand mat (shot from a "chopper gun") with resin. With the amount of spiderweb cracks, there'd be concern that whatever filling you do now, more will appear later the older the plastic gets. Especially without reinforcing the underside with more fiberglass to prevent flexing.
    I'd say take KandK's suggestion - find a local sign/vehicle wrap place and see how much they'd get to wrap it. Maybe choose a vinyl that has a pattern to it, that would "hide" any cracks underneath..?

13. Member
    Good comments and thank you.

14. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by CastingCall View Post
    Looking at your other pic showing the fiberglass underneath, appears to be vacuum formed plastic that was reinforced with chopped strand mat (shot from a "chopper gun") with resin. With the amount of spiderweb cracks, there'd be concern that whatever filling you do now, more will appear later the older the plastic gets. Especially without reinforcing the underside with more fiberglass to prevent flexing.
    I'd say take KandK's suggestion - find a local sign/vehicle wrap place and see how much they'd get to wrap it. Maybe choose a vinyl that has a pattern to it, that would "hide" any cracks underneath..?

agreed!