Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Indiana Bass Club Moderator sc419795's Avatar

50-70 yard shots

I am actually playing pretty good. Consistently shooting 78-82. My problem is the 50-70 year shot. Have gone out to the range trying all sorts of clubs....7 iron to a sand wedge. Probably more an issue of confidence and hitting the shot as in most cases, I come up short. Need to trust the loft and swing through. If I could at least get that shot on the green, I am a pretty good putter and could take another 3-4 shots a round off my score.

Anyone else have this issue? Any tips?
    Steve
    2006 Sylvan Expedition Sport
    2006 Yamaha F150 TXR s/n 63P L 1041829

2. Member
    That's a in-between distance. I use my 60* wedge inside of 50 yards. 52* wedge from 50 out to 75 or so. Then pitching wedge from 75 to 95. Once you get confidence with those, you'll love em.

3. Member
    56 degree maxes at 90 for me, but I still use it for 50-70 if I have to stop the ball quickly or it’s perfect conditions. Otherwise pitching wedge to 7 iron depending on amount of green to the hole, uphill green or into the wind. That is what is fun about golf, many options for every shot. Some actually work!

The 50-70 yard shot is a choked down sand wedge to even a choked down gap wedge depending on the lie. The swing is also modified from any where a 3/4 to half back swing depending on the club I use.
    I have a 60 degree wedge I'm sure I can hit from that distance but I really only use that club for green side bunkers and chipping around the the green.
    1996 ProCraft 185 DC Pro, Mercury EFI 150

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sc419795 View Post
    Need to trust the loft and swing through. Anyone else have this issue? Any tips?
    you know what the problem is. Follow through very important. It is very hard to take a full swing and follow through when the flag is just 60 or so yards away. I taught myself to trust my swing. Sure, I still hit some thin and hit it through the green, I still chunk some 30 yards, but when I do hit a nice, full wedge shot it feels good and satisfying. Lots of good advice in the posts above. Personally I have a 62 degree that is 45 to 50 yards with a full swing. My 60 degree is 55 to 60 yards, my 56 degree is 63 to 68 yards, and the Gap Wedge(52) is 75-83. Your results will vary of course. But several times a year I will take an hour on the range and hit about 20 balls with each wedge, to regain the confidence in my distances. Makes it easier for me to let a wedge rip with a full swing when playing. Good luck.

6. Member
    Dead thin Bermuda might as well be concrete for sand wedge.
    i tend to punch wedges when in the fairway during winter months. Promised myself that I will fish every weekend till that stuff turns green this year. Bought a boat last year in February but didn’t get delivery until late April and missed the good fishing. I hated hitting fat wedge shots off dead Bermuda fairways. We are headed to Palm Desert in February to play some green fairways. Then on to fishing! 26 degrees at the moment.

7. Member
    ​HOOK’EM HORNS!!!

8. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    Find one club that you use and find confidence in. Choke up or down the shaft as needed for you keep the speed up in the swing.

Start out shortening your backswing and get the ball there with accelleration. Once you do it a few times and you see the capabilities of speed with a lofted club, you will start doing amazing things with your wedges. Try it from different yardages and eventually you will see the differences needed in your backswing for different yardages and how much spin you want to produce. Before my layoff from back surgery, this was the best shot in my bag. If I was inside 80 yards, I felt like I could attack the flag
    Ranger R81VS, Mercury 175EFI w/ 25 Tempest

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel1 View Post
    Find one club that you use and find confidence in. Choke up or down the shaft as needed for you keep the speed up in the swing.
    I would recommend the opposite. But whatever works for you. I'm a similar scorer to the OP. 8 handicap. I read a tip from pro about being able to hit a distance with 3 different clubs. I think that has helped my game. Options for how I'm feeling that shot.
    50-70 is a Lob for me (58) but I'd have full confidence in my 54 or even PW if I wanted a lower flight.

11. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    Considering that the OP said that confidence was probably an issue, why would you ask someone to try and do too much when they are struggling already?

There is never a one size fits all when it comes to golf, but keep it simple stupid is usually always better than giving too much. If a person is struggling, they need to find one way to do things and be successful with that before trying to build on it. Golf is all about confidence.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel1 View Post
    Considering that the OP said that confidence was probably an issue, why would you ask someone to try and do too much when they are struggling already?

There is never a one size fits all when it comes to golf, but keep it simple stupid is usually always better than giving too much. If a person is struggling, they need to find one way to do things and be successful with that before trying to build on it. Golf is all about confidence.
    Life is all about confidence. Without it you will be whipped.

13. Indiana Bass Club Moderator sc419795's Avatar
    Guys - thanks for all of your input. Went out to the range and tried something that seems to be working. Using my 50* wedge. Trying hard to keep the angle of attack vs. allowing my wrists to break down. Also trying to keep a bit more weight on my left leg. Not nearly as many chunk shots and my ball flight is much lower. Still need to sort through 40 vs 50 vs 60 vs 70 but I think I am on the right track.

No 2 golf swings are the same. Heck, look at Furyk. One of the most unique swings on the tour. Not sure any of us would try that figure 8 and hit consistent shots. But it works for him and he has won many tourneys.

Again, thanks to everyone for their thoughts and ideas.
    Steve

14. Member
    That is golf. A lifetime of figuring out what works but mostly what doesn’t.
    It is a challenging game that requires dedication and even then does not allows come with reward.
    it is a great place to enjoy nature, the outdoors, some good friends and some competitors.
    it is also fun for grandpas to take their grandkids-mine just loved to fish the ponds at the course.

glad you have found something that is working for you.

15. Member
    on a positive note, I have yet to lose a golf ball this year! But that may change today.

16. Member
    I lost my first two of the year. I am going to quit counting those now.

We should go play sometime Steve, you'll feel like a pro after watching me hack around a course.

As for the short shots, that is a 3/4 swing with the wedge I like the most. Last year I started to do what I used to do, which is hitting anywhere from a 8 to sand wedge on those shots, and just felt more confident.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

18. Indiana Bass Club Moderator sc419795's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cubswin View Post
    We should go play sometime Steve, you'll feel like a pro after watching me hack around a course.

As for the short shots, that is a 3/4 swing with the wedge I like the most. Last year I started to do what I used to do, which is hitting anywhere from a 8 to sand wedge on those shots, and just felt more confident.
    Would love to. Down in North Carolina for the winters. Will be back in Indiana mid-June. Will figure out how to meet 1/2 way.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by sc419795 View Post
    Would love to. Down in North Carolina for the winters. Will be back in Indiana mid-June. Will figure out how to meet 1/2 way.
    I play all over the place. Rochester round barn course would be a good choice to me.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

20. Member
    I'm amazing at the little knock-down shot from that distance with an 8- or 9-iron on the range.

On the course, l blade it over the green every time!! Does wonders for my confidence.

I'm like a 10

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast