Yatesville lake on fishing university

It is cool to see them have a smaller lake on TV. They are showing it is a great lake to fish. It might get a lot more crowded now. I have only been there a couple of times. Had a blast on it. When I was there, 4.5lb was my best. If I remember correctly the big fish for the tournament was right at 7lbs. We keep saying we want to go back. Just have not found the time to go yet.
    2006 skeeter zx225.HPDI 225

2. Member
    I'm guessing they went to the lake for a reason, but their performance was a poor advertisement for the lake.

They also filmed an episode on Nolin about 1-2 years ago. I don't think quality of fishing is what draws them to a lake. Charlie and Ray seem like nice people but my personal impression is they would film on a mud hole and promote Summer's Eve Douche for a dollar bill. They seem to over promote a product and that is where they lose me. I understand that promoting product puts $ into their pocket and I have no problem with that. I guess it's just how they talk about product verses how other people talk about product. Maybe it's just me but they seem like a traveling snake oil salesman who is trying to sell me a bottle of elixir that will cure any ailment. However they are still entertaining and I do watch their show but I have been know to stop a few minutes in.

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    They also filmed an episode on Nolin about 1-2 years ago. I don't think quality of fishing is what draws them to a lake. Charlie and Ray seem like nice people but my personal impression is they would film on a mud hole and promote Summer's Eve Douche for a dollar bill. They seem to over promote a product and that is where they lose me. I understand that promoting product puts $ into their pocket and I have no problem with that. I guess it's just how they talk about product verses how other people talk about product. Maybe it's just me but they seem like a traveling snake oil salesman who is trying to sell me a bottle of elixir that will cure any ailment. However they are still entertaining and I do watch their show but I have been know to stop a few minutes in.
    I have never understood that complaint about fishing university. Name one tv personality, professional, or heck even YouTube star that doesn't overdo it. The difference between them and others is minimal but if you went to the lounge and stated the same about the others, the pile on would be epic. I really get a kick out of the "best of" YouTube videos, 100% sponsor driven and opinion.

5. Member
    They also filmed on green a few years ago. I marked some waypoints for Charlie and found it funny that he had absolutely no idea how to use his graphs. I think they had just taken on the sponsor and they were new to him. I kinda gave him an idea of what to throw (of course they had to use the sponsor baits those days, i think it was freedom tackle). What really surprised me was when he sat down to tie baits up that he didnt have a "brand" of rods or reels. Everything he had was mix and match and most of it was low end stuff.
    They aint got hands, set the hook

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boilerfishin View Post
    I'm guessing they went to the lake for a reason, but their performance was a poor advertisement for the lake.
    Yes!!! The Strike King Corporate Cup Challenge

7. Member
    Yeah that lake fishes much bigger than that. It does get tough in the summer but was hoping they would get on some bigger fish.

8. Member
    My problem is these guys go to a beautiful lake, get the local visitor's bureau involved, go to the local high school, and go out and catch a bunch of 8 oz bass. Show viewers have to decide if the lake sucks or the hosts suck. I don't know how they keep their sponsors.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishin is life View Post
    What really surprised me was when he sat down to tie baits up that he didnt have a "brand" of rods or reels. Everything he had was mix and match and most of it was low end stuff.
    That is interesting. What do you consider low end? Shirley you ain't leaning into RangerZ520L territory! I have or had every brand of "high" end rods they make. Sold a nrx shakeyhead rod but will never shed a 2018 Kistler Magnesium 2. I know Kistler is a shunned product because he wears his faith on sleeve and doesn't spend buccos of money on advertising but that mag2 is better at $150 than nrx at $350 in my hands.

10. Member
    I live about 30 miles from yatesville and wouldn't drive that far to fish it. It's probably the most popular lake in a 70 mile circle at least but that's not saying much and there is much better to be had in that circle if you know where to look. Definitely much better big fish lakes to be had around the area.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rude196 View Post
    That is interesting. What do you consider low end? Shirley you ain't leaning into RangerZ520L territory! I have or had every brand of "high" end rods they make. Sold a nrx shakeyhead rod but will never shed a 2018 Kistler Magnesium 2. I know Kistler is a shunned product because he wears his faith on sleeve and doesn't spend buccos of money on advertising but that mag2 is better at $150 than nrx at $350 in my hands.

Im talking one of those giant spinning reels circa 1987. I wouldve guessed most of his rods to be in the $100 or less range. Like i said there were no dominant brands. Im not knocking the guy all, im sure he could fish circles around me with an ugly stick but it surprised me that somebody on a nationally televised show didnt have a rod/reel sponsor. I know they were on green at a horrible time of year. They had a meet and greet the night before the shoot and like 20-30 people showed up. It was kinda embarrasing really
    They aint got hands, set the hook

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishin is life View Post
    Im talking one of those giant spinning reels circa 1987. I wouldve guessed most of his rods to be in the $100 or less range. Like i said there were no dominant brands. Im not knocking the guy all, im sure he could fish circles around me with an ugly stick but it surprised me that somebody on a nationally televised show didnt have a rod/reel sponsor. I know they were on green at a horrible time of year. They had a meet and greet the night before the shoot and like 20-30 people showed up. It was kinda embarrasing really
    I understand. I don't really watch the show but remember them taking Jordan Smallwood (sorry if I'm wrong) from Etown out. I thought that was pretty cool. But yeah it would be odd for the original 16+ corporate cup challenge (before bpt) not to be up to date with the stuff they are promoting.