Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Skeeter / Ranger Buying Decision - First post...be gentle

Wow, this site is awesome. Great info. along with hours of research to get "it" right ! There is so much knowledge and valuable feedback. Not new to boating and have been fishing SE Michigan (80% Lake St Clair) in a sport boat for a long time.

In my situation the best bang for my buck will be a pre-owned boat. I'm almost certain that it will be the Zx225 or something close (519 is still being considered for the extra $$) MY 2015-2017. Ideally has at least a year or two warranty left on the motor. I'd pull the trigger really quick on the right deal and wouldn't mind making a long run to go get it. I'm also open to private sale but would prefer to work with a brick and motor dealer.

A couple of questions:

Not the ideal time to lake test, do I have options to make sure she is mechanically sound this time of year ?

What kind of wiggle room could I expect from dealer/individual. Example, asking price is $45-$50K would I get laughed at for offering 10-15% below that. Is there an average I can spit ball before going in ?

IF its a dealer purchase could I negotiate them holding it until Spring, with non-refundable deposit pending lake test/storage. Not likely but I just don't know.

Looking forward to an awesome 2019 in a new rig. I think any boat in this range is a solid buying decision so I'm open to any suggestions as well. Thanks in advance !

2. Member
    Buyers Remorse is not any fun . There are a lot of good boats out there . I sold boats for a lot of years and my advice to you is go with the brand boat that's popular in your area . But even more important is go with the dealer that has the Best service deoartment , one that has a good parts dept and has good mechanics . You are going to have some problems and it's no fun to have a problem and the techs can't figure it out or the dealer has to wait on parts or worst yet is on cod with motor company . I say buy with the idea that you might want to sell so get what will sell easy in your area . You might say sell i haven't even bought yet . Well there are a lot of people who trade up or down or get out of boating in a short amount of time .

3. Member
    Lots of people in your area stop with Sherm Truss at Sherms Marine. Give him a call, he doesn’t always update website inventory. He has guides in boats on the Great Lakes. I traveled to buy two from him, STELLAR service before and after the sale.

4. Member
    I've had both, you can't go wrong with either. Best of luck with whichever you choose!
    2005 Z21 Comanche Yamaha VMax 250HPDI

Quality manufacturers. If you have no preference shop for the best deal with motor of choice. A Skeeter of that year will be a 4s SHO Yamie. Ranger could have any motor on it.
    I would think most in that area would be 2s Merc Opti.
    If I can ask, why aren't you looking at multispecies boats for St. Clare?
    2000 Ranger 520DVX 225hpdi

6. Member
    I started out in the fall looking at those. We usually take longer runs to the south side (Canadian waters) and most are aluminum V's. It's usually my two sons and I fishing and we go out as much as we can. I'm worried about the ride out and then if you familiar with St Clair the weekend warriors are out in full force and unless you are in a USCG Cutter be prepared for feeling like you're in a washing machine. My other concern is trying to get away from the sport boat feel.

Again open to suggestions on a multi species, preference is fiberglass.

7. Member
    I would buy used. In a 19' you can find a very lightly used one with low hrs and plenty of warranty for under 50k. And in some states to taxes when buying used.
    Don Blume

2018 Ranger Z520C
    2018 Mercury 250 Pro XS 2B525775 2-Stroke

Past Rigs
    2008 Triton Tr186 with Mercury 175 Pro XS
    2000 Ranger R73 with Mercury 125
    1976 Basscat with 150 Mercury

8. Member
    If you're fishing those big waters 80% of the time I'd buy a deep V walleye boat hands down

9. Member
    I'm not sure going to a bass boat from years of a big sport boat that you would like it, especially on big water. I would find a big nice walleye boat to get. I just think a bass boat will get thrashed in that big water, they cant take the big waves a sport boat can and you will get tossed around even more

10. Member
    I agree 100% with the people suggesting a walleye hull for big water. I have a bass boat and very occasionally fish big water (about once per year). Bass boats are simply not made for big water. If I was mostly going to fish big water like you I would not even consider a bass boat you will be wet and tossed around a lot. Check out the walleye hulls, I think you would love them!

11. Member
    If you fish Erie you may want a 21+' boat. I have a 21xrs and it does fine on erie. Was told better than ranger or skeeter....mainly as slightly lighter. I was in 6'ers and only got wet twice and that is no sh!t. My wife was with me and she was freakin out headed back to the ramp. I thought it was pretty badass, but I digress....haha

If you are open to other boat models message me your cell and I'll text you video of the 21xrs in about 2'ers going 30+mph.

https://vicsboats.com

Not that far from you... Vic & Tommy know the Great Lakes and deal in alot of multi-species boats, new and used...

Not to mention they are awesome to do business with!!
    Scott

2022 Phoenix 21 PHX
    Solix & Helix w/ Mega Live
    MinnKota Ultrexx 36v 112
    Power Poles

13. Member
    I have a 519 and it does fine on Ontario. Fishes nicely in 5 fters. However it is an older 519, Ive heard the newer ones are lesser quality. Nonetheless, Im very pleased that I chose ranger over skeeter. I was in a similar position to you last year. Those saying bigger hull are smart. If youre going to be fishing big water, you cant go wrong. Nothing more stable than a nice deep v.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msail3 View Post
    I have a 519 and it does fine on Ontario. Fishes nicely in 5 fters. However it is an older 519, Ive heard the newer ones are lesser quality. Nonetheless, Im very pleased that I chose ranger over skeeter. I was in a similar position to you last year. Those saying bigger hull are smart. If youre going to be fishing big water, you cant go wrong. Nothing more stable than a nice deep v.
    you should post some videos of it fishing nicely in 5 footers, I live in Rochester as well but when we have true 5 footers I don’t see any bass boats out and tournaments are cancelled

15. Banned
    My buddy has a Lund predator 2010 and we have been out in big water and 5 footers are not fun. Look at the pro v bass 2075 with 250. I know few guys here in Ontario that run them, while they are no speed demons they soak up those Great Lakes rollers pretty good. With the xs option you even get more cock pit space. You can't tell me you fish st Clair 80% of the time and don't target musky??? The prov bass is a multi species weapon. Even a tuffy would be a good option. Good luck with your purchase boat shopping is fun.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gotmy5 View Post
    you should post some videos of it fishing nicely in 5 footers, I live in Rochester as well but when we have true 5 footers I don’t see any bass boats out and tournaments are cancelled
    Agree

17. Member
    5 footers nicely haha. Pro V Bass is a lot of boat and will be a safer ride than any bass boat. Three people fishing in a standard bass boat also gets old.

18. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gotmy5 View Post
    Ditto this on Erie. I have a 2018 model Z519 with the torque monster G2 Evinrude. Its quick acceleration and nimble handling (power steering) go a long way toward taming rough water, but true 5 footers are no fun at all. And the OP is spot on about St. Clair being a washing machine on hot summer days. If I lived where he does, I’d be looking for a clean used 619 or 620 from a dealer I could trust. Even Knox Marine in central Ohio sells a lot of the fisherman series (multi species) boats and gets trade-ins. There must be other dealers within easy driving distance who do the same.

Granted, having engine warranty to rely on offers peace of mind, but that doesn’t help much if your hull isn’t comfortable every day in the conditions you fish. St. Clair is among the best fishing venues in the U.S., so take full advantage and get the ideal boat for that water.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

19. Member
    I would buy the biggest boat that my budget would allow. You might give Rose Marine a look on the northside
    of ST Clair. When we had an issue (although we did not buy the boat there) they dropped what they were doing
    and got us back on the water. Good people and big inventory. Good Luck

20. Member
    Big water = Big boat

Get as big as you can afford. Great advice

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast