Thread: Deer hunters

Deer hunters

What's everyone wearing for good light weight clothing or boots during a hunt? Hate bulky clothing but still have to be warm and have a big problem with feet getting cold on stand. My feet will sweat easily then when I sit with my socks being damp they get cold quickly.
    Looking to see what everyone else is using.
    Thanks.

2. Member
    Mickey boots for your feet are the only way to go!
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

I fought cold feet forever. What has cured it is I started wearing a medium weight boot (perfekt hunter by meindle from cabelas) with a medium weight sock and then when I get to the stand I put on Boot Blankets over my boots. The boot blankets are the best money I ever spent for keeping my feet warm. Make sure to get the actual Boot Blankets!! Brother bought the Artic Shield ones and they suck compared to the boot blankets.
    If it is really cold I will throw a couple hand warmers in the boot blankets.
    If you have to walk a long way to your stand where your feet will really sweat; take a pair of socks to change into when you get to the stand so your feet are dry to start the hunt.
    Charger 210 Elite

4. Member
    I change my socks when I get to my stand no more cold feet

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro-Hunt View Post
    I fought cold feet forever. What has cured it is I started wearing a medium weight boot (perfekt hunter by meindle from cabelas) with a medium weight sock and then when I get to the stand I put on Boot Blankets over my boots. The boot blankets are the best money I ever spent for keeping my feet warm. Make sure to get the actual Boot Blankets!! Brother bought the Artic Shield ones and they suck compared to the boot blankets.
    If it is really cold I will throw a couple hand warmers in the boot blankets.
    If you have to walk a long way to your stand where your feet will really sweat; take a pair of socks to change into when you get to the stand so your feet are dry to start the hunt.
    Agree the boot blankets are amazing, i just wear a light hiking boit regardless the temp and them throw the boot blankets on when i get to stand or blind, like said abive throw a few hot hands in there and your set for an all day sit.

Spray your feet with anti-perspirant, sounds dumb but believe me it works. It helps with the sweating feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Stompy View Post
    Spray your feet with anti-perspirant, sounds dumb but believe me it works. It helps with the sweating feet.
    Now that's one I haven't heard of but I would bet it works...

8. Member
    Yup, and make sure it's unscented. If I'm driving more than 15 minutes I don't put on my boots until I get there

Anti perspirant spray and foot powders work wonders. I do that wear good socks and uninsulated boots then put on boot blankets if I'm stationary for a while.

10. Member
    Heard that before but never tried it. Makes sense, why it would work.

11. Member
    If you mostly hunt stationary, I recommend using a backpack to carry clothing. If I have to walk far, I carry my heavy jacket to avoid overheating. Once there, I put on a fleece neck-up, booties, and facemask if it's really cold

I fought cold feet all my life due to excessive sweat. Best thing that worked for me was I started using polypropylene sock liners and regular/wool socks (depending on the temps) and a lighter 400g insulated boot. And if it's going to be really cold, like others have said the Boot Blankets can't be beat.

13. mikesxpress
    Sweaty feet for me too. Been fighting this for 45 years. This is what works for me now.
    Sure unscented anti-perspirant. *Women's section at Ya'll-Mart.
    Darn Tough calf high wool socks (Hunters or Tactical model). Lifetime warranty and highest % of wool.
    7mm thick Bogs mid high boot sized 1/2 over with replacement wool footbed.
    If it's near or below freezing I put the HotHands full insole heaters in when I get to the stand.
    Feet still sweat but this setup allows me to sit for 3-4 hours comfortably.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Sweaty feet for me too. Been fighting this for 45 years. This is what works for me now.
    Sure unscented anti-perspirant. *Women's section at Ya'll-Mart.
    Darn Tough calf high wool socks (Hunters or Tactical model). Lifetime warranty and highest % of wool.
    7mm thick Bogs mid high boot sized 1/2 over with replacement wool footbed.
    If it's near or below freezing I put the HotHands full insole heaters in when I get to the stand.
    Feet still sweat but this setup allows me to sit for 3-4 hours comfortably.
    Yeah, but what do you do when it gets cold? "Near freezing" ain't cold.

15. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    Yeah, but what do you do when it gets cold? "Near freezing" ain't cold.
    As stated "at or below freezing". Worked for me for 9 years in Colorado in subzero temps while elk hunting & ice fishing above 9,000 feet.

What about clothing? What is everyone using for layers? Brand?

Quote Originally Posted by cape cod basser View Post
    Get one of the heated jackets!! I used to bundle up with a lot of stuff; now I just wear some Cabela's mid-weight underwear, a long sleeve t-shirt, heated jacket and a lighter overcoat. That is all I need down into the single digits. For bottoms I wear a mid-weight Cabela's underwear, pair of light hunting pants and Cabela's MT050 bibs.
    Charger 210 Elite

18. Member
    Under armor infrared , Cabela's polar weight fleece, Cabela's heated vest then carry a Jacket in to prevent sweating.

Boots I've tried alot different brands and sock combo. I have 2 different Muck Boots and on my second pair of Thermacell insoles which are great with a thin pair of socks but they quit on me again so looking at other options again.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cape cod basser View Post
    Sitkagear.com

20. Member
    As someone mentioned above, sock liners and then smartwool socks; don't wear boots until you need to; buy them one size larger than normal to allow your feet to move as well as capture/retain heat.

If you are buying a heated vest or jacket, be sure to purchase an extra battery if you plan on sitting for an extended period of time. Two batteries will normally last me all day.

Sitkagear will be your new friend and DMart1 and I will be your new enemy for turning you on to it. It's addictive when purchasing the different layers, but all well worth it! However, with some internet research you can usually find end of the year deals so you don't have to pay full retail.

Good luck!