Thread: Patoka

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cevans View Post
    I still say until they get the shad problem under control, Patoka will be hard to change anything. Once again, Crappie USA is avoiding any tourneys on Patoka for 2019 but they are back to Monroe as it’s on a upswing finally.
    What shad problem?? Shad is the best thing that ever happened to that lake (for Bass Anyways). I know it has hurt the bluegill and crappie fishing though. Guess depends on what you fish for your a views on it.

I will say I don’t see as many shad as I use to. 7 or 8 years ago you couldn’t go 20 feet down a grass line without balls of shad going everywhere. Still a ton in there, but I think there is less than there was back then. The shad are there to stay. You will never get rid of them or under control as you put it. Mother Nature will be the only one that sets how many will be in the lake.

The damn yellow bass they put in there i feel are a bigger problem. Seems to be as many or more of them in there anymore as shad. And they’re literally good for nothing. Bass will eat them, but definitely don’t prefer them. And the little bastards are eating machines. I don’t know how any fry can survive with those things around. Guess the only salvage is they tend be offshore most of the time. I’d like to know who the genius is that thought they were a good idea to put in. I’d give him the ol Chevy Chase talk from Christmas Vacation. Lol.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catch5 View Post
    What shad problem?? Shad is the best thing that ever happened to that lake (for Bass Anyways). I know it has hurt the bluegill and crappie fishing though. Guess depends on what you fish for your a views on it.

I will say I don’t see as many shad as I use to. 7 or 8 years ago you couldn’t go 20 feet down a grass line without balls of shad going everywhere. Still a ton in there, but I think there is less than there was back then. The shad are there to stay. You will never get rid of them or under control as you put it. Mother Nature will be the only one that sets how many will be in the lake.

The damn yellow bass they put in there i feel are a bigger problem. Seems to be as many or more of them in there anymore as shad. And they’re literally good for nothing. Bass will eat them, but definitely don’t prefer them. And the little bastards are eating machines. I don’t know how any fry can survive with those things around. Guess the only salvage is they tend be offshore most of the time. I’d like to know who the genius is that thought they were a good idea to put in. I’d give him the ol Chevy Chase talk from Christmas Vacation. Lol.
    Same dude that thinks blue cats should be introduced.................

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermodude View Post
    Same dude that thinks blue cats should be introduced.................
    Only leaves us to assume that they were thinking Yellow and Blue= better Green....
    2019 Triton 20 TRX Patriot, Merc 250 4 stroke

4. Member
    [QUOTE=catch5;9956842]What shad problem?? Shad is the best thing that ever happened to that lake (for Bass Anyways). I know it has hurt the bluegill and crappie fishing though. Guess depends on what you fish for your a views on it.

Talk to any of the DNR biologists about Patoka, and they will say the problem is too many shad and big shad. Why you think they first stocked sterile Northerns, now hybrids, stripers, and millions of walleye fry. Hoping those fish will help stabilize the shad populations. Granted. We need a healthy shad population. Last few times I walleye fished Patoka, I was catching 3-5 lb white perch. All the years I have fished that lake and last 2 years I am catching heck out of white perch. Where did that population come from? LOL

[QUOTE=cevans;9961312]

Talk to any of the DNR biologists about Patoka, and they will say the problem is too many shad and big shad. Why you think they first stocked sterile Northerns, now hybrids, stripers, and millions of walleye fry. Hoping those fish will help stabilize the shad populations. Granted. We need a healthy shad population. Last few times I walleye fished Patoka, I was catching 3-5 lb white perch. All the years I have fished that lake and last 2 years I am catching heck out of white perch. Where did that population come from? LOL
    What is a white perch to you? The actual white perch wouldn't get that big, and not found in indiana. Are you talking about white bass?
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

6. Member
    [QUOTE=cubswin;[URL="tel:9961553"]9961553[/URL]]
    Quote Originally Posted by cevans;[URL="tel:9961312"
    9961312[/URL]]

What is a white perch to you? The actual white perch wouldn't get that big, and not found in indiana. Are you talking about white bass?
    Southern locals that fish rivers call a fresh water drum also white perch. I have caught them in East Fork of White River small mouth fishing as big as 20 lbs. a lot of locals eat them but it’s like cleaning a Carp and they have a fishie taste that sucks. Patoka is getting a lot of them in it. Also considered a rough fish. Patoka is getting a lot of them in it.
    Last edited by cevans; 01-18-2019 at 09:18 PM.

[QUOTE=cevans;9961605]
    Quote Originally Posted by cubswin;[URL="tel:9961553"
    9961553[/URL]]

Southern locals that fish rivers call a fresh water drum also white perch. I have caught them in East Fork of White River small mouth fishing as big as 20 lbs. a lot of locals eat them but it’s like cleaning a Carp and they have a fishie taste that sucks. Patoka is getting a lot of them in it. Also considered a rough fish. Patoka is getting a lot of them in it.
    They are in about every river and creek run lake in the state that I've fished. No surprise they are in patoka. They do eat small shad, but more crawfish than anything. We catch them on crankbaits, spoons, and jigs fairly often.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

8. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    [QUOTE=cubswin;9961669]
    Quote Originally Posted by cevans View Post

They are in about every river and creek run lake in the state that I've fished. No surprise they are in patoka. They do eat small shad, but more crawfish than anything. We catch them on crankbaits, spoons, and jigs fairly often.
    I agree. My wife caught one at Patoka last fall, on a shakey head, that was probably 10lbs or more. It sure put up a good fight.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

[QUOTE=billius;9962376]
    Quote Originally Posted by cubswin View Post
    I agree. My wife caught one at Patoka last fall, on a shakey head, that was probably 10lbs or more. It sure put up a good fight.
    Biggest I’ve caught was at salamonie, over 20lbs flipping a jig. That initial hit and run is fun. Had one inhale a square bill, 2nd day of classic, that was about 8lbs. Thought we had just one the tournament lol.

I sometimes target them, will crush kastmaster and cc spoons.

10. Banned
    [QUOTE=cevans;9961312]
    You ever talk to those guys?? I’m sure there are some good ones, but most know as much about fishing, as I do at being the president. These are the same guys that stocked fresh water jellyfish and yellow bass in the lake. Lot of people really go to target those. Lol. Same guys that killed all the grass in hardy lake and made it not even worth the $10 in gas to go there. I could go on and on...

They will also tell you there is nothing wrong with the bass population in the lake. I trust on some stuff, but when it comes to our fisheries that’s a big no.

11. Member
    We can’t keep good biologists very long working for the state as we don’t pay them enough and they get hired by other states from us. I run into them every now and then. And hate to say this, had dinner and sat next to head of DNR back in Sept and will keep my comments about him to myself.

12. Member
    Y’all are way off base, Patoka was built to be and always will be a watershed! Sport fishing and recreation contributes absolutely nothing, just call the DNR, they’ll tell ya!

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermodude;[URL="tel:9965976"
    9965976[/URL]]Y’all are way off base, Patoka was built to be and always will be a watershed! Sport fishing and recreation contributes absolutely nothing, just call the DNR, they’ll tell ya!
    well, somebody visited Truman Res. In MO when they decided to build Patoka cause the copied Truman by leaving all the timber, building foundations, road abutments, ponds wire fences with multi Rosa in the lake and then left it alone for 3 yrs before we could fish it. Best lake built in Indiana and they just don’t care enough to manage it right. Someone needs a can of whoopass.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermodude;[URL="tel:9965976"
    9965976[/URL]]Y’all are way off base, Patoka was built to be and always will be a watershed! Sport fishing and recreation contributes absolutely nothing, just call the DNR, they’ll tell ya!
    well, somebody visited Truman Res. In MO when they decided to build Patoka cause the copied Truman by leaving all the timber, building foundations, road abutments, ponds wire fences with multi Rosa in the lake and then left it alone for 3 yrs before we could fish it. Best lake built in Indiana and they just don’t care enough to manage it right. Someone needs a can of whoopass.

Build another one!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12