Proping for a 2.5l 200

Ok guys I have a 91 mercury 2.5l on my 190 champ. Per multiple people they have recommended a Yamaha 25m prop. So I did some trading from a trophy plus to a 25m and now I’m trying to figure out what hardware I need. The prop has a pressed in rubber hub now that is flush on the bottom and is recessed on the top side. So do I just need the mercury splined washer and lock or do I need some type of a thrust washer on the bottom as well?

2. Member
    you will need a thrust washer on shaft always and splined washer with locking tab washer, my question is why not a TEMPEST OR FURY
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    you will need a thrust washer on shaft always and splined washer with locking tab washer, my question is why not a TEMPEST OR FURY
    Ok so do you know what thrust washer I need? The one off of my tempest won’t work since it’s a stepped washer and the Yamaha prop is flat on the bottom side so no washer will fit in it.

I have a tempest plus on it now but from numerous champion guys they have said the 25m is the best choice for my hull/motor combination.

4. Member
    years ago we used to run a washer that was for a TURBO propeller had small step that fit just inside hole where shaft fits ,whats problem with TEMPEST
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    years ago we used to run a washer that was for a TURBO propeller had small step that fit just inside hole where shaft fits ,whats problem with TEMPEST
    I have no problems with the tempest. I’m just going off of recommendations from a few well known champ owners is all and I’m trying to get the best performance out of my hull and motor that I can.

6. Member
    I understand, still would go with TEMPEST PLUS one large hole plug in others open, 25m thin blades & slung too many off no rubber hub

7. Member
    I understand, still would go with TEMPEST PLUS one large hole plug in others open, 25m thin blades & slung too many off no rubber hub
    The 25m I have had a rubber hub but my tempest plus uses the merc plastic hub. So if I stick with the tempest I should plug 2 of the pvs holes and leave one with completely open?

8. Member
    nope leave 2 open no plugs at all put one large hole plug in roll on , 24 fury may be lil faster but weight will kill it

Joe is dead on with tempest with one large plug on that boat, another prop that worked very well was the original Turbo, Turbo 2 was lacking in the hole shot. Took a little tweaking the vent hole to get it perfect
    Thank You Leon Pugh

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    Joe is dead on with tempest with one large plug on that boat, another prop that worked very well was the original Turbo, Turbo 2 was lacking in the hole shot. Took a little tweaking the vent hole to get it perfect
    Just curious as to why then all the champion guys are telling me to run the. 25m

11. Member
    The M series props have a little more lift then the tempest out of the box and maybe a tad faster.
    Bruce Phillips
    1995 190 DC champion ......1995 200 xri merc

Have the tempest reworked by Mark Croxtan, you will be far better off and will probably be a littler faster than the M prop. You will not have to deal with pressed hubs either
    Thank You Leon Pugh

I'd still try the yamaha prop to see what it does. You never know.
    1995 Allison XB-2003 225 Super Mag. It's slow and I'm ok with that.

14. Member
    I’m definitely going to try both and see which one runs better and then have that one worked for now and the other worked for a spare. BUT before I can do that I need to figure out what thrust washer I need to run the Yamaha prop.

15. Member
    sounds like a good test with 2 known good props, boat loaded full fuel, full wells two people and gear ,ill find out about washer today for you got one of the best prop guys in nation right here

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Forum Announcements and provide the Required Info with your post. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

17. Member
    Dee, For a champ 190 with 200merc you’ll want a 25 tempest or 24trophy. Some guys do also like the 25m u mentioned. You could also post in the champ forum.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeredude64 View Post
    Just curious as to why then all the champion guys are telling me to run the. 25m
    Cuz M is the deal on the early Champs...ask Mosher or Pat...

With that said...my 201 doesnt like a M. My rig likes a tempest better. I may have the M worked. I'm sure it will haul the mail after its worked.