Thread: alx rods

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    So if a guy were looking for a 7’3” or so rod to flip 3/8ths oz baits, frogs, swim jigs...would you say the Zolo Toadface or Brawler? The PowerBolt is just too long for a 5’10” guy like me. Thanks!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    So if a guy were looking for a 7’3” or so rod to flip 3/8ths oz baits, frogs, swim jigs...would you say the Zolo Toadface or Brawler? The PowerBolt is just too long for a 5’10” guy like me. Thanks!

The Toadface is truly an amazing rod for so many things. The tip is little softer than just about anything else I use, which took some getting used to. But once you set the hook, the rod has plenty of power to get fish out of cover. Frog, 3.5 - 4 inch swim baits, scrounger heads, swim jigs, texas rig, and its a WONDERFUL chatterbait and buzzbait rod. I also skip a 3/8oz & 1/2oz jig with it. Im 5'11" so skipping a 7'2" rod was a bit of an set back, I lost some accuracy at first, but got right back in the grove after a full day with it. If 7'2" seems too long for you, the ZOLO Skipper is 6'9", and VERY similar to the Toadface. Ive never fished the Skipper, but I have had one in my hands and it felt amazing. I know alot of guys are using the Skipper for many other applications as well. And I heard nothing but great things. And dont forget about the IKOS line of rods ALX has. The Promise 7' & Promise 7'3" can do everything the Toadface can do. My team partner prefers the Promise over the Toadface, and its not a lower price thing (he spares no expenses). If you're fishing a little heavier cover, the Hammer 7' or Hammer 7'3" is just as versatile, just a little stouter option. At $150, you'll wont find anything that compares. I have and do personally fish the Promise and Hammers alongside the Toadface.

Now, being in FL, you may some thicker grass or cover than we got in GA. So as far as a shorter "flipping rod", the Dragger 7'4" or the Brawler 7'6" are great options. Both will blow you away with how light and crisp they feel for a rod that size. I have been fishing bigger jigs this winter on Lanier and Hartwell with the Dragger and loving it. I find myself pitching around cover with it as well, and I could see it being a good frog, swim jig rod as well (although, I have not used it for anything other than a c-rig, big jig, small umbrella rig).

I personally use IKOS: Hustler 7, Buzz 7, Promise 7 / Promise 73, Hammer 7 / Hammer 73, and Thunder. ZOLO: Dream, Toadface, Dragger, Brawler, and Powerbolt. Feel free to ask me anything about those models.

BTW, Im not sponsored, nor do I work for ALX. I dont guide, or even try to make living fishing tournaments. I fun fish a few days a month and a number of tournaments around north to middle Georgia every year (nothing too serious with a wife and 2 young children at home). Ive used alot of rods, from Daiwa Samurai (pistol grip. 1st baitcast back in the mid 80's) to Shakespear to BPS to Duckett to Gloomis GLX, and ALX literally made me sell every GLX I had. Exceptional company with outstanding customer service, and they build a damn good rod.

3. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Thanks CWKemp, you may just be getting a PM from me very soon! Right now I’m going to go throw a 5” swimbait on my 7’3” Duckett that I actually despise...rod isn’t worth the $80 I paid for it at 60% off!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Toadface all the way...Trust me
    Northwoods Adventures Guide Service... Michigan's Upper Peninsula

In my area and lake the Toadface is as heavy as I go. It will get the job done and you won't be disappointed

6. Member
    What is the preferred reel ratio for the Toadface since it is so versatile?

Quote Originally Posted by Black Fox View Post
    What is the preferred reel ratio for the Toadface since it is so versatile?
    I use an 8:1.1 on mine. I like to take up line quickly

Double post

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Revofisher View Post
    not to hijack the thread but kind of the same topic. I have never tried alx rods as well and im looking for two rods for throwing smaller cranks to medium cranks like the dt 6 - dt 10s spro little johns medium divers, and cold water balsa baits that are 3/8 oz and above. I have looked at the zolo crank the 7,4 model but have not been able to handle one would this be a good rod for those baits. I would not be around heavy cover more or less just rock type structure. thanks if anyone has used that model info would be great.
    Take a look a the the ALX IKOS Hustler crankbait rod. https://alxrods.com/product/hustler/...16265869140625

Alex was very helpful when discussing this blank with him and believe this will be a great crankbait rod for what you need. I just order the blank to build on so I haven't tested it but the blank is light for a S-Glass.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Tom View Post
    Toadface all the way...Trust me
    I agree. I have 2 Toadface custom built rods and could see having one more they are so versatile. I use 8:1 reels on my for swim jigs, frogs and pitching.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123