2018 Potomac fishing

Overall, how was the fishing for everyone in 2018? I didn't get out much due to work, but when I did get out, it was so-so. When I did get time to go, the river was a muddy land mine field. Hope 2019 is better.
    2010 BassCat Puma FTD
    2010 Mercury 250 Pro XS

2. Scraps
    Don't fish the Potomac, but fish the Bay, I'd agree with your assessment and hopes for 2019. I don't get to fish as much either, but seemed like most chances I got to fish were either in extreme heat of summer, or after epic rainfall throughout the season. The bay was wrecked for at least a solid month after that Elite cancellation.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

3. Member
    The rainiest year on record really put a damper on how many times I ventured out onto the Potomac, the debris fields left after the rains weren't something I was willing to deal with, I've had some bad experiences in the past.

When I did get out the fishing was decent, looking forward to a hopefully better next year.

4. Member
    Wasn't the report a record 62" of rain?

5. Member
    I think we will fall out around 3rd wettest year on record.

6. mikesxpress
    March was very good for the large heads.
    Maybe a bright side folks. The recruitment from this year should be excellent.
    This is 1st time since 2004 we had no saltwater intrusion up past the 301 bridge after the spawn. That eliminated the saltwater fish like the small blues, needle fish, and spec's from the bass forage pool. The stained water most all year should have reduced the predators ability to sight feed on the fry.
    The conditions up here had no effect on my saltwater further south. This was actually the best year for striped bass and red fish I have ever had in the Potomac. Lots of fish well over the slots went back each trip. No so much for the speckled trout which were MIA.

7. Member
    Mike, your input on all things river, fuel and boat are really enjoyable to read. With regard to the boat, I would guess that when you get a chance to run that big azz V8 again you will post additional performance data. Can't wait to wet a line in reasonable comfort.

8. mikesxpress
    Hal regular deer season is almost over so I'll get some trophy kitty fishing in before heading to Okeechobee/Istokpoga/Stick Marsh for a few weeks in Feb. It should be broke in by then....

Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    March was very good for the large heads.
    Maybe a bright side folks. The recruitment from this year should be excellent.
    This is 1st time since 2004 we had no saltwater intrusion up past the 301 bridge after the spawn. That eliminated the saltwater fish like the small blues, needle fish, and spec's from the bass forage pool. The stained water most all year should have reduced the predators ability to sight feed on the fry.
    The conditions up here had no effect on my saltwater further south. This was actually the best year for striped bass and red fish I have ever had in the Potomac. Lots of fish well over the slots went back each trip. No so much for the speckled trout which were MIA.
    That is some good news then from a crappy year.
    2010 BassCat Puma FTD
    2010 Mercury 250 Pro XS

10. mikesxpress
    Better than gloom & doom? I didn't see any algae blooms this past year either.

11. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Better than gloom & doom? I didn't see any algae blooms this past year either.
    Doom & bloom.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD